Show us your Windows 8.1 Start Screen

With the addition of smaller / larger tiles, there's room for a bit more creativity. Show us your Windows 8.1 Start Screen.

post-443985-0-03198600-1372415726.png

• Like 2

Here's mine.  I like the big tile sizes, and I'm glad I'm not the only one that has a generic "essentials" group :)

EDIT: Repinned the Neowin tile now. VERY cool, great work Neowin team!! 

BTW click to see the whole thing :)  :)

post-440646-0-46989000-1372887641.jpg

With the addition of smaller / larger tiles, there's room for a bit more creativity. Show us your Windows 8.1 Start Screen.

Can you send me or post the background? nice!

I can't use the Windows 8 tiles/start screen because I'm an administrator user with UAC turned off :(  (farking stupid if you ask me...)

Hello Neowinian?, fellow Torontonian!

I can't use the Windows 8 tiles/start screen because I'm an administrator user with UAC turned off :(  (farking stupid if you ask me...)

Hello Neowinian?, fellow Torontonian!

Erm...I'm an administrator, and I have UAC turned off as well. No problems using the Start Screen. If you're at work, then no problem, post a screenshot whenever you get home.  :)

Erm...I'm an administrator, and I have UAC turned off as well. No problems using the Start Screen. If you're at work, then no problem, post a screenshot whenever you get home.  :)

No, it's a home computer, and I doubt you have UAC turned as far off as I do:

http://www.eightforums.com/system-security/5160-tutorial-how-make-windows-8-understand-you-administrator.html

When I was in Windows 7, I never had to click "run as administrator".  Now, all of the sudden in Windows 8, even though my user is the administrator, even with the UAC slider turned to "never notify", I suddenly need to "elevate" all the programs I run to administrator levels.  It was pissing me off so much that I followed that above guide.  I never used the Start Screen anyway.

mine currently

Where is the "Start" text and the user tile section?

http://www.eightforums.com/system-security/5160-tutorial-how-make-windows-8-understand-you-administrator.html

When I was in Windows 7, I never had to click "run as administrator".  Now, all of the sudden in Windows 8, even though my user is the administrator, even with the UAC slider turned to "never notify", I suddenly need to "elevate" all the programs I run to administrator levels.  It was ****ing me off so much that I followed that above guide.  I never used the Start Screen anyway.

ctrl+shift+enter is your friend.  That's the KB shortcut to start a command elevated.

ctrl+shift+enter is your friend.  That's the KB shortcut to start a command elevated.

When you've spent years getting used to having every program start elevated, ctrl-shift-enter is not a friend, it is an irritating, uninvited guest.

When I was in Windows 7, I never had to click "run as administrator".  Now, all of the sudden in Windows 8, even though my user is the administrator, even with the UAC slider turned to "never notify", I suddenly need to "elevate" all the programs I run to administrator levels.  It was ****ing me off so much that I followed that above guide.  I never used the Start Screen anyway.

Not sure what you did, but even in Win7 a user has to elevate user rights when the application is trying to write to OS protected folders, e.g. program Files. You cannot be a full admin as a user, unless you're hacking into the OS.

Normally, when a installer/program is written properly, all this is transparant to the user.

I still don't know why people complain about this, Linux has it, OSX has this.Wiindows has it, a bit too late but still has it.

I agree it's a bit more obtrusive in Windows, but apparently people still install every effing thing they see without thinking.

Getting those popups hopefully do help some people to THINk about their actions. All others, I don't care if you have virusses or a slow pc ;-)

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Steven P.
      Nvidia GeForce 472.12 release is the first official Windows 11 Game Ready Driver
      by Steven Parker

Nvidia today has launched its latest GeForce Game Ready 472.12 WHQL driver. Although the previous driver, released on August 31 supported Windows 11, Nvidia has made a point of stating that this release is the first official Windows 11 Game Ready driver, with the following announcement in the release notes:

Here's what's new

As usual, the new 472.12 driver also fixes some bugs:

There are also some unresolved issues that remain:

The 472.12 Game Ready driver is now available for download on the GeForce Experience app. Those looking for the official standalone installation links can find them below:

Desktop GPUs:

Download: Windows 7, 8, 8.1 | Windows 11, 10 – Standard | DCH

Notebook GPUs:

Windows 11, 10 - Standard

You may find more details on the official blog post here, and here are the release notes.

• By Abhay V
      Microsoft Weekly: Patch Tuesday, Windows 11 update blocks for VMs, and Office 2021
      by Abhay V

With the passage of another week, it’s time to look at all the Microsoft stories that happened September 12 through September 18. As usual, there were new Windows 11 builds for the Dev and Beta channels, but they came with them some bad news for users running the OS on certain VMs. Considering that this week brought the second Tuesday of the month, Microsoft also released the monthly Patch Tuesday updates for all supported Windows versions. These updates were accompanied with new apps, Office LTSC and Office 2021 release dates, and much more.

Windows 11 builds, update blocks for VMs, Patch Tuesday, more

As is the case every second Tuesday of the month, Microsoft released cumulative updates for all supported Windows versions. These included supported Windows 10 versions – including for specific SKUs, Windows 8.1 users and those on Windows 7 that opted for Extended Security Updates (ESUs). The updates fixed a Windows zero-day vulnerability discovered earlier this month and brought other quality improvements. While the improvements were welcome for most users, the firm posted an advisory acknowledging that the August patches that contained fixes for the PrintNightmare vulnerability were breaking the ability for some users to print without admin credentials. This impacts commercial customers than any other, considering end users do not have access to admin credentials.

As for Windows 11, new builds were released for both Dev and Beta channel Insiders. The Dev channel was served build 22458 that brought a few fixes. While a new ‘Sign-in options’ link in the power menu was mentioned, it was made available with build 22454, but missed being noted in the changelog. Beta channel users received build 22000.194 that brought a bunch of new in-box apps that Dev channel users have been testing. These include the new Clock app with Focus Sessions, Calculator, and the unified Snipping Tool experience. More are on the way, though, such as the new Paint and Photos apps.

What did come as a surprise for Insiders was the inability for those running these builds in certain VMs – including on supported hardware – to update to the new builds, thanks to the enforcement of TPM requirements for virtual machines as well. This means that those running Windows 11 preview builds on anything but VMWare Workstation Pro or Hyper-V Manager included with Pro and Enterprise editions of Windows will be blocked from receiving future updates. Currently, Oracle seems to be readying a passthrough driver for TPM for VirtualBox, making its offering suitable to run Windows 11 builds.

Additionally, there was some news concerning those that were running Windows 11 builds on M1-powered MacBooks through solutions like Parallels Desktop. The Redmond giant has said to The Register that running Windows 11 on M1 Macs is not a “supported scenario”, casting doubt on whether there will be future blocks that render it difficult to run Microsoft’s latest OS on M1-powered machines.

Lastly, Microsoft announced that users can now delete their Microsoft account passwords to completely rely on alternate forms of authentication, further making the case for a password-less world. While the ability is available for consumer accounts now, the company aims to bring it to accounts that use Azure Active Directory (AAD) as well.

Office 2021, Office LTSC, new apps, and app updates

The biggest news this week relating to new apps came in the way of the announcement of Office 2021’s release date. The perpetual version of Microsoft’s productivity suite of offerings for consumers will be made available starting October 5, coinciding with the release of Windows 11. The version for commercial customers, Office LTSC, is now generally available. The LTSC versions differs from the consumer variant in some ways, one of which includes the support lifecycle. What both have in common though, is that they will not receive new features like the Microsoft 365 versions.

The start of the week also saw the arrival of the Movies Anywhere app for Xbox Series X|S and Xbox One users, bringing a native solution for watching purchased Movies Anywhere content in addition to the Movies & TV app. Another potential app expected to make it to the Microsoft Store is the firm’s own PowerToys suite, a listing for which was spotted this week. However, it seems like the listing will only introduce an installer for the app that then pulls in the suite of tools. PowerToys experimental version 0.46 also made it to testers, bringing a bunch of fixes. Another Microsoft app to receive an update was Edge, as Edge Dev users received a new build that brought a quick way to hide the extensions button from the menu from the address bar along with a bunch of bug fixes.

Talking about browsers, it was discovered that the latest version of Firefox allows users to directly change their default browser preference without going through the cumbersome steps to do so, which is a welcome change. It is not clear if this will be mirrored by more apps and browsers going forward, but the Redmond company has received backlash from browser rivals for making the process complicated and less user-friendly.

Mozilla also announced that it will begin setting Bing as the default search engine on Firefox as part of a test. This will apply to just one percent of desktop users and the test is expected to conclude in early 2022.

Xbox Game Pass additions, Remote Play on Windows, and more

This week, Microsoft announced the titles being added for Xbox Game Pass subscribers, which is the second drop for the month. There are 13 games being added, with eight of them being day-one launches. The list includes Aragami 2, Sable, SkateBird, I Am Fish, and many more. Additionally, there are 11 more games that have touch controls enabled when they are streamed through the cloud. There are five titles leaving the service, which happens on September 31.

If those wanting to run these games on Xbox Series X|S consoles are looking for additional storage and do not want to shell upwards of $200 on an expansion card, a 500GB option might be on its way, at least if a listing spotted in France is to be believed. However, if you have one of those consoles and wish to stream it to your PC, you can now do so using the updated Xbox app on Windows. The app also brings cloud gaming, giving users another way to use the service in addition to doing so from the web.

Xbox Game Pass Ultimate and Xbox Live Gold members are also receiving a second round of games for the month, with Games with Gold bringing Mulaka for Xbox One and Samurai Shodown II for Xbox 360. Lastly, there are a bunch of discounts as part of Deals with Gold, bringing discounts for titles from the Assassin's Creed, Halo, Forza, and other franchises.

There doesn’t seem a week that goes by without Halo Infinite news. While minor, this week brought leaked images of Craig the Brute, showing off some visual improvements. This also hints towards the possible arrival of new gameplay that might show off the visual improvements being made.

Moving on, Call of Duty fans might be interested to learn that Call of Duty 2022 – possible called Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 – might launch next year. Call of Duty: Vanguard, on the other hand, is slated to launch in November this year.

Rounding off gaming news is the announcement of a new beta build of Age of Empires IV being made available this weekend. The invites for the beta included almost anyone who wished to try it out. Improvements made thanks to feedback from testers include a further zoom out distance, balance tweaks for English and Chinese civilizations, and a bunch of bug fixes.

Dev channel
      Microsoft helps bring TEALS computer science curriculum to more schools PSA: Microsoft is ending support for Silverlight next month Xbox is returning to the Tokyo Game Show this year Microsoft’s Brad Smith becomes the vice-chair of the board Teams is getting Customer Lockbox that prevents unauthorized access from Microsoft Commercial Surface customers get more spares for repairs Logging off
      We have been taking a detailed look at the various features and options being added with Windows 11 as part of our Closer Look series. This week, we went through the Default apps settings for the OS, which has been criticized for being less user-friendly by both users and app makers alike. Here is everything you need to know.

Missed any of the previous columns? Check them all out at this link.

If you’d like to get a daily digest of news from Neowin, we have a Newsletter you can sign up to either via the ‘Get our newsletter’ widget in the sidebar, or through this link.

• By Copernic
      StartIsBack++ 2.9.16
      by Razvan Serea

StartIsBack++ restores original Windows 10 start menu with all its features: search, pinned and recently used apps, fully customizable settings. Start button and Start menu look and behave exactly as they used to in Windows 7.

StartIsBack is lightweight and secure: it does not require administrator rights to install, consumes minimal amount of system resources, does not run additional processes or services.

What's hot about StartIsBack on Windows 10 now:

Live badges for modern apps on taskbar and Start menu! Ability to reduce resource usage by disabling newer Start menu and Cortana processes from prelaunching Ability to use adequately sized (32x32) large icons and larger start menu button on taskbar Modern icon glyphs on Start menu right hand pane Modern blur, drop shadow and immersive context menus for start menu Fully dynamic DPI aware start menu and configuration app New modern style with round user picture Lots of new minor additions and tweaks Changes in StartIsBack++ 2.9.16:

Fixed update toast not displaying

Download: StartIsBack++ 2.9.16 | 1.4 MB (Free to Try, $3.99 to Buy)
      View: StartIsBack Home Page

Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware

• By Abhay V
      Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 Patch Tuesday updates are now live
      by Abhay V

Microsoft is releasing updates for all supported Windows versions today as part of its Patch Tuesday updates. This includes the Windows 10 versions currently supported, both completely and for specific SKUs, Windows 8.1, and customers that have opted for extended Windows 7 security updates. However, unlike Windows 10, Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 do not receive mid-month updates and are locked to just one update per month, unless there are urgent security fixes.

As usual, there are two types of Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 updates – monthly rollup and security-only updates. While monthly rollups are served through Windows Update, security-only updates can only be manually installed. Both these updates are available for download through the Update Catalog. This month, there is also an IE security update rolling out to Windows 7 and 8.1 users, which you can check out here under KB5005563.

To begin with, Windows 8.1 and the corresponding Windows Server release - Windows Server 2012 R2 - users are receiving monthly rollup KB5005613, which can be manually downloaded from the Update Catalog here. The improvements made as part of the update include the fix for the zero-day vulnerability:

The known issue listed for the update is mentioned below:

Symptom

Workaround

Certain operations, such as rename, that you perform on files or folders that are on a Cluster Shared Volume (CSV) may fail with the error, “STATUS_BAD_IMPERSONATION_LEVEL (0xC00000A5)”. This occurs when you perform the operation on a CSV owner node from a process that doesn’t have administrator privilege.

Do one of the following:

Perform the operation from a process that has administrator privilege.

Perform the operation from a node that doesn’t have CSV ownership.

Microsoft is working on a resolution and will provide an update in an upcoming release.

The security-only update is KB5005627 and can be found here for manual download and installation depending on the version. As mentioned earlier, these are not available through Windows Update. The changes and fixes are identical to that of the monthly rollup.

Next up are Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1. The monthly rollup heading out to these customers is termed KB5005633 and can be manually downloaded from here. These updates are only available for those that have opted for paid updates. The changes and fixes are as follows:

As is always the case, the known issues are separately mentioned in the KB article. Here is the list for Windows 7 users to note:

Symptom

Workaround

After installing this update and restarting your device, you might receive the error, "Failure to configure Windows updates. Reverting Changes. Do not turn off your computer", and the update might show as Failed in Update History.

This is expected in the following circumstances:

If you are installing this update on a device that is running an edition that is not supported for ESU. For a complete list of which editions are supported, see KB4497181.

If you do not have an ESU MAK add-on key installed and activated.

If you have purchased an ESU key and have encountered this issue, please verify you have applied all prerequisites and that your key is activated. For information on activation, please see this blog post. For information on the prerequisites, see the How to get this update section of this article.

Certain operations, such as rename, that you perform on files or folders that are on a Cluster Shared Volume (CSV) may fail with the error, "STATUS_BAD_IMPERSONATION_LEVEL (0xC00000A5)". This occurs when you perform the operation on a CSV owner node from a process that doesn’t have administrator privilege.

Do one of the following:

Perform the operation from a process that has administrator privilege.

Perform the operation from a node that doesn’t have CSV ownership.

Microsoft is working on a resolution and will provide an update in an upcoming release.

The security-only update for this version is KB5005615 and can be manually downloaded from here. Just like for Windows 8.1, the fixes and known issues in the security-only update are identical to that of the monthly rollup.

As usual, you can head to the linked KB articles to read through more information about the updates and useful links.

• By Sszecret
      Microsoft Weekly: Humankind on Game Pass, Patch Tuesday, and new Windows 11 builds
      by Florin Bodnarescu

The latest set of seven days has gone by, and as such, we should take a look at the variety of Microsoft-related news that have happened. Among them, the confirmation of Humankind launching day one on Game Pass, the arrival of this month’s Patch Tuesday updates, and even some more PrintNightmare news. You’ll find info about those subjects and more below, in your Microsoft digest for the week of August 8 - 14.

Humankind on Game Pass

To the shock of I suspect very few, we begin at the beginning, with SEGA’s upcoming 4X strategy title, Humankind. Launching August 17 across Steam, EGS, and Stadia, the title will also be available day one via Xbox Game Pass, as recently confirmed by Microsoft.

Speaking of availability, Xbox Cloud Gaming can now be tested by Insiders in the Xbox App on Windows, while the Series X|S optimized variant of Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice has arrived, boosting graphical fidelity and gaining ray tracing support.

In case your backlog is simply too small, you may want to take a look at the Xbox Add-on Sale, which features titles from series like Assassin’s Creed or Doom. Additionally, there’s Yooka-Laylee and Garou: Mark of the Wolves to claim for free if you’re an Xbox Live Gold subscriber.

Last but not least, there’s an Xbox show planned around gamescom. The showcase, which is set to give an in-depth look at upcoming games, is scheduled for August 24 at 10AM PT / 1PM ET (that's 6PM BST or 7PM CEST).

Patch Tuesday

Like clockwork, the second Tuesday of August has rolled around, signaling that it was time for the Redmond software giant to push out is usual set of Patch Tuesday updates.

For folks on Windows 10 versions 2004, 20H2, and 21H1, the relevant update is listed under KB5005033, and is set to bump up the build numbers to 19041.1165, 19042.1165, and 19043.1165 – in order of oldest to newest supported version.

The list of fixes mentions a particular change to the Point and Print functionality, which now requires administrative privileges to install drivers. This is to combat the security flaw with the ID CVE-2021-34481.

Those still on 1909 Enterprise, Education, and IoT Enterprise SKUs will get KB5005031 – which bumps the build number up to 18363.1734 -, while those within the LTSC (Long Term Servicing Channel) flavors of Windows 10 will be given the following updates:

1809: KB5005030, build 17763.2114 1607: KB5005043, build 14393.4583 1507: KB5005040, build 10240.19022 Those still on Windows 7 (such as businesses paying for Extended Security Updates) or Windows 8.1 got their very own sets of patches. For the former OS, details about the monthly rollup can be found under KB5005088 (or KB5005089 for the security-only variant), while a rundown of everything fixed for Windows 8.1 users can be found under KB5005076 (KB5005106 for the security-only flavor).

Naturally, like the Windows 10 counterparts, the Windows 8.1 and 7 patches also include the Point and Print default behavior change described above.

New Windows 11 builds

With Windows 11 vaguely on the horizon, Microsoft is continuing to push out test builds to its Dev and Beta Insider channels.

This week, testers were greeted by build 22000.132, which added the ability to chat from Teams (a feature showed off at the OS’s debut livestream earlier this year), a new Snipping Tool, as well as updated Calculator, plus Mail and Calendar apps. As always, these are subject to a staggered rollout, but in the meantime, here’s a quick look at all of them.

Naturally, Insider builds come with their fair share of bugs, so here is the – rather lengthy – list of known issues, covering everything from localization to the new Store, the Search functionality, as well as test channel-specific bugs.

Dev channel
      Dynamics 365 Intelligent Order Management is now generally available. Power BI now has a new component geared towards Angular web apps. Power BI has added in-product store browsing capabilities. The OneDrive sync client will no longer work on macOS 10.12 or 10.13 after September 10. Teams web users will soon be able to add background effects and share system audio. Microsoft has acquired Peer5 to bolster its large-scale video-streaming capabilities in Teams. Edge Dev build 94.0.975.1 is now out, adding Sleeping Tabs improvements. Visual Studio 2022 Preview 3 is now available to try. The August firmware update for the AMD-based Surface Laptop 3 is now out. EY and Microsoft have partnered to create a $15B growth opportunity. Microsoft has expanded its partnership with Samsung, optimizing its apps for the latter’s foldables. Logging off
      We end this week’s column with a rather important subject, which is another variant of the PrintNightmare exploit.

Following on from last month’s discovery of the Print Spooler flaw lovingly dubbed PrintNightmare (or SeriousSAM, depending on who you ask), Microsoft has confirmed that yet another variant has been discovered, one which has been assigned CVE-2021-36958 as its ID. This exploit takes advantage of the fact that the Print Spooler service is capable of improperly performing privileged file operations.

Unsurprisingly, a patch has already been pushed out (coinciding with Patch Tuesday this week), with the Redmond giant understandably recommending immediate installation. Furthermore, the company has also outlined its vision for the way in which organizations can protect themselves againts cyberattacks.

To end on a bit of good news, Azure CTO Mark Russinovich has confirmed that a security vulnerability found in the Remote Desktop Connection Manager (or RDCMan) has been fixed. The improper parsing of XML inputting with references to external entities flaw has now been addressed via version 2.82 of RDCMan.

Missed any of the previous columns? Check them all out at this link.

If you’d like to get a daily digest of news from Neowin, we now have a Newsletter you can sign up to either via the ‘Get our newsletter’ widget in the sidebar, or this link.