CodeKnight - Site in development

Question

Well, its been in development for about 3 months so far. If I could have your views, comments, and what-not about it, I'd be most honoured ;) Its basically a site where users can upload code snippets (for example, a piece of code that take a screenshot in Delphi, or a piece of code that gets laptop battery status under Windows XP/2000 in C++).

It isn't like other code sites, where you have complete sources - this is a very low-level code site, where you can get the actual smaller parts needed to make larger parts (code snippets). As such, it will be useful to those who are fluent in a language, and wish to develop the own code, while keeping the time it takes to a minimum. All submitted code will be free to use, with no licenses attached, and any users submitting code will get points based on the qualuty of their submission.

http://codeknight.net/

(if it dosen't work, NTL is either playing up, or my PC is off for the night)

Thanks ;)

Edited by Dessimat0r

Not using classes? 0.o. How? I used to not know they existed, and gave nothing for them, but nowadays, I learned how to use em - and I think going on in life w/ out them would be impossible...

Ur adminCP is looking really awesome, mine is just the basic, just what you need to "Get the job done" , as its probly only gonna be used by me and 2 more friends who live right next to me.

But I think if the site gets big, than in the future ill be innovating something perhaps :).

Love your site. See some real potential. Obviously being made by someone who knows what hes doing, good luck, and nice work.

I know how to use classes and what-not in Java, but just not PHP. Can you try and explain to me how you built your site using classes? (i.e. do you have a page class, with renderheader, renderfooter methods, and what not?) I'd really be interested in using classes.

Heya.

Well, classes are actually pretty simple, if u want ill explain it to you. Just contact me on MSN or AIM or ICQ, these are my screennames:

MSN: mph_leader@msn.com

AIM: gotrock666

I prefer icq or msn, bit i use em all ;).

Glad to share some knowledge, contact me anytime :).

Thanks!

Something is seriously going wrong with Apache 2 on my site. I've updated it to the latest version, but still it seems to be happening...

After a while, the server totally screws up to everyone else (except me) and they get 'Server not found'. However, it is not just on the CodeKnight part. but also on other files on the server... its very odd. Also, the apache 2 logs record nothing wrong!

The only way to fix it when it screws up is to restart the server... its very odd

I've updated the header at the top of the site to something a little better ;)

Tell me what you think ;)

I personally think it looks better now.

Just added a Paypal link, if you want to support me in some way, hehe

Progress is most certainly being made at the moment, just slow progress. I made the MySQL queries more efficient today, but still have a few more today (I understand how to use LEFT JOIN now, hehe)

By the way, if you can't access the site, my PC is off, or Apache 2 is playing up again.

http://dessimat0r.myftp.org/CodeKnight/

Are you planning on migrating your site to an online server when you're done? I think it has a lot of potential.

Yeah, it will be migrated. My own connection is too slow (1mbit/256k), and my NTL cable box has a habit of freezing up when I'm uploading a load of data.

Great Site :cool:

Umm... Where's the Python section? :huh:

Well, the site hasn't been completed yet. Those categories that you see are hard coded at the moment, just to see how that bit looks.

Python will most certainly be a programming language that CodeKnight supports. (I also code in Python ;))

Just added my first piece of proper news, athough from Neowin, the news has been given full credits ;) Revealed a shedload of bugs that I needed to fix, heh

I've just implimented sorting, ordering, filtering, and pagination on the members page and who's online pages. If anyone needs any help doing this on their own site, I'll be happy to help - its actually quite simple ;) (Although I'm not sure if my pagination algorithm is 100% efficient - perhaps someone could show me their way of working out the number of pages required for something?)

To sort, just click on the required column header. Click again to sort the other way.

Members page

Who's Online page

First I want to say that I just started PHP Saturday, so I'm very jealous of what you're able to do (any MySQL, too. I hate you).

review.gif

Thanks for your comments ;)

The constant spacing is difficult due to table limitations with HTML - I'm not sure if it would be possible or not in the current scheme of things.

Very very good! It looks superb! I'm actually after making something like that too... Did you use any tutorials for specific things and, if so, which ones? I'm learning PHP and I'm already busy developing (I just got the registering to work, yay! Thanks phpfreak :D ) but I'd like to look through more tutorials to see how things work so I can move on myself.

Thanks,

Kilroy

Nope, no tutorials. I just looked at other code until I was at a level to be able to create the code myself ;)

(By the way, on your site, you don't need to put & for &, just & on its own is fine)

As the title on your site, I see =[H&D]=, you see ;)

Nope, no tutorials. I just looked at other code until I was at a level to be able to create the code myself ;)

(By the way, on your site, you don't need to put & for &, just & on its own is fine)

As the title on your site, I see =[H&D]=, you see ;)

Ok - thanks for the advice on the learning method ;)

The other thing is, it's not really my site I'm working on, it's my clansite, I did build it, but it's not the one I want to have on www.code-kilroy.com (which should be registered in a few days :) ). However, I, in Opera, don't see =[H&D]= anywhere, just =[H&D]=. What browser exactly are you using?

Thanks,

Kilroy