how can i port android to BB torch?

hi! I have an old blackberry torch laying around and I wanted to port android on to it (cause why not) ... is it possible ? ir not android then another OS that isnt rim?

find jtag pins,dump bootrom/loader, study bootrom/loader to find type of security. If bootrom loads image from flash without signature checks,its easy. Just need to reverse engineer a few hardware devices if not part of Linux kernel such as LCD panel,touchscreen controller, power management ,etcc.. Now compile kernel and attempt to boot it. :D

First thing you'll need to do is find out what chipset/processor that old BlackBerry Torch has inside it. Once you do that, you'll need to see if there are any Android drivers for them.

I don't think this is going to be an easy project.

First thing you'll need to do is find out what chipset/processor that old BlackBerry Torch has inside it. Once you do that, you'll need to see if there are any Android drivers for them.

I don't think this is going to be an easy project.

nah didnt think it would be overly easy... shouldnt be to hard either ... wish my java / android was better ;( could do it my self ;( 

Doubt it's possible, I don't know of any other BB devices with Android ports. The reasoning for this on the Playbook (which I own, hence I know) is the locked boot loader which hasn't been compromised - given their emphasis on secure enterprise environments I'd wager its the same story for all their modern devices.

Doubt it's possible, I don't know of any other BB devices with Android ports. The reasoning for this on the Playbook (which I own, hence I know) is the locked boot loader which hasn't been compromised - given their emphasis on secure enterprise environments I'd wager its the same story for all their modern devices.

most are not ... so far out of the main ones it seems to be apple (apple easier of two) and rim (which im having trouble finding a port for)

that are the most annoying to port ... windows phones and android phones you can do what ever with

Technically possible on paper but it isn't feasible. You'll need the right blobs for the proprietary hardware/sensors along with correct method to successfully load Android and an unlocked bootloader. You'll also need a properly compiled Linux kernel 3+ and the correct SoC sources. It's not worth the effort, the hardware of that device is ancient garbage with zero software sources.You'd be better off with an Android device.

Technically possible on paper but it isn't feasible. You'll need the right blobs for the proprietary hardware/sensors along with correct method to successfully load Android and an unlocked bootloader. You'll also need a properly compiled Linux kernel 3+ and the correct SoC sources. It's not worth the effort, the hardware of that device is ancient garbage with zero software sources.You'd be better off with an Android device.

i do have one already just seems like a waste to let it sit in the draw

i do have one already just seems like a waste to let it sit in the draw

within 6 months I fear most "blackberries" will lie in a drawer unused :) tbh flog it or use it as an upgrade handin for cash next phone upgrade ;) and keep your other handset n flog it ;) The Torch was a decent handset in its day.

joking aside the RIM bootloader has never been compromised therefore next to impossible to do mate.

We have been toying with dropping support of RIM devices due to the new Z10 etc requiring a totally new BES (we support almost 10k handsets, most RIM) than all the previous models, android, iOS and Windows phones are as secure with the right control ;) (Mass 360) and are cheaper TCO for multinationals.

Worst thing they ever did was release 2 sets of handsets, the corp ones and then the cheaper "prosumer" ranges, cheap crap and built to reflect this, iv elost track of the number of dead blackberries I have ready for recycling. Not what they used to be and in their market you cant get away with that anymore.

They are full of their own self importance and have sat on their laurels of "oooh were a secure platform" for years. Too little too late I fear for RIM, they'll be defunct by 2014 I fear.

within 6 months I fear most "blackberries" will lie in a drawer unused :) tbh flog it or use it as an upgrade handin for cash next phone upgrade ;) and keep your other handset n flog it ;) The Torch was a decent handset in its day.

joking aside the RIM bootloader has never been compromised therefore next to impossible to do mate.

We have been toying with dropping support of RIM devices due to the new Z10 etc requiring a totally new BES (we support almost 10k handsets, most RIM) than all the previous models, android, iOS and Windows phones are as secure with the right control ;) (Mass 360) and are cheaper TCO for multinationals.

Worst thing they ever did was release 2 sets of handsets, the corp ones and then the cheaper "prosumer" ranges, cheap crap and built to reflect this, iv elost track of the number of dead blackberries I have ready for recycling. Not what they used to be and in their market you cant get away with that anymore.

They are full of their own self importance and have sat on their laurels of "oooh were a secure platform" for years. Too little too late I fear for RIM, they'll be defunct by 2014 I fear.

hmm ye might be able to sell it :/ get a kebab or something with it

The old blackberry specs are too bad to run android and there are no drivers or kernels for them for android so you should be writing it literally from scratch which is kinda a 10year project for 1 person :p

I recommend buying a new phone, android phones are there already $50 or even lower sometimes.

blackberry software can be compared to the old sony ericsson software, completely closed source and almost impossible to replace :/