Windows 8.1 signed off?

They're releasing 8.1 via the Windows Store. The only reason I can think of for a wait period between RTM and RTS is giving OEMs time to provide 8.1-compatible drivers.

Wonder if Windows 8 will be like XP where I had to install it and then hundred mb's worth of updates through WU? :P Hopefully there will be a media option too.

• Like 1

I am presuming they'll release a Windows 8.1 ISO?

Yeah, I mean you can get a preview ISO now for 8.1, and they're going to be selling 8.1 to OEMs for new hardware.  I bet they'll let you order a DVD for whatever the cost+shipping will be.   

• 2 weeks later...

The RTM should be later this month, probably in the last week.  Because it's a update and not a whole new version the wait for it to go out over the Windows Store to users shouldn't be long after that.  They'll probably give OEMs a small head start but don't expect the same gap between RTM and GA that we get with a whole new OS release.  I think it should hit the update servers for everyone in the 2nd week of September. 

Doesn't matter if this is an update or a fresh new OS. The time between RTM and GA is roughly the same in either case. Quick history lesson: Windows 7 SP1 (an update) RTM'ed on 2010/11/20. It was not released to the general public until 2011/02/09. Over 2.5 months later.

By the historical standards for either SP's or new OS's, the <2 months between RTM (if it RTMs now) and GA (Oct. 18) for 8.1 is already fast.

Doesn't matter if this is an update or a fresh new OS. The time between RTM and GA is roughly the same in either case. Quick history lesson: Windows 7 SP1 (an update) RTM'ed on 2010/11/20. It was not released to the general public until 2011/02/09. Over 2.5 months later.

By the historical standards for either SP's or new OS's, the <2 months between RTM (if it RTMs now) and GA (Oct. 18) for 8.1 is already fast.

Well, I stand corrected.