Realtek NIC not working after resume from sleep

It was a fresh install of 8.1 preview and not an upgrade. It seems that whenever I resume from sleep the Realtek Gigabit PCIe onboard NIC wont work at all.

Ping will just give me a general failure. The only fix is to uninstall the NIC and let windows redetect it and it will work again.

This also even happens if I disable the NIC and renable it in network connections. Different drivers seem to make no difference whether the Realtek or MS driver so dunno what I can do to fix that.

Motherboard is GA-Z68X-UD3R-B3 but I can't see any reason why I have the problem on this board but not on an older board with a similar realtek nic. I mean I can live with the problem but it is a little bit annoying to have to reinstall the NIC every day.

Try going into Device Manager and open the NIC's settings window. Go to the Power tab and un-check "allow computer to turn off this device" and/or "allow computer to put this device to sleep", then reboot. I usually do this to all my machines.

• 2 weeks later...

Experiencing exactly the same issue here with my built in Realtek NIC, on a Gigabyte G31-S2L. Im going to try the above suggestion and see if it helps.

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one. Having tried more stuff I discovered that when I put in a PCI Intel Pro 100 NIC it exhibited the same symptoms as the Realtek NIC.

Also do you get the same problem when you disable and renable the NIC or just when resuming from sleep?

Ok turning off power management for the NIC in device manager had no effect, problem still exists. And no amount of disabling/enabling the NIC fixes it either, its just dead when resuming from sleep, a restart is required. Could this be related to VirtualBox? Anyone else have that installed? It may be worth trying to uninstall it and trying again, perhaps theres something in the VirtualBox NIC drivers causing an issue.

Open the configuration window as you did before, select the advanced tab. Disable the "Energy efficient ethernet" and "Green Ethernet".

This worked for me when my NIC was giving me similar problems.

If that doesn't work, hit the Realtek site and download the driver directly.

Should help, but might be a bit of a crap shoot >.<