HDMI cables quality

Marshall

Hello,

I have a question regarding HDMI cables for my Plasma. If you do an extensive search via google, you find mixed reviews. Some say that expensive cables (particularly Monster cables) you will see a significant increase in picture quality. Others say an HDMI cable is an HDMI cable, doesn't matter what brand.

Can anyone shed some light on this subject, would my money be well spent choosing the Monster cables? Will I see a noticeable difference in picture quality?

TIA :)

dark-heart

No... Not unless your running more than 3 meters of HDMI cable, and even then you would barely notice the difference in sound and picture quality. (But spend at least $10 on a cable though)

The Evil Overlord

I bought el cheapo cables (that isn't a brand by the way) from ebay

the ones connecting my blu ray player and ps3 cost my less than ?12 UK with postage, almost 3 years ago (I think)

version 1.3 I think, I forget, Panasonic 50 inch plasma, panasonic blue ray player with 5.1, sony ps3

I don't personally think you need those uber expensive ones (this opinion is based purely on the fact that I didn't and I acknowledge that there's good and bad in all cables)

+Dick Montage

I bought a 2m cable from Asda (Walmart) for ?3 ($4).  Works perfectly.

I used to work for a company that retailed Monster Cables - absolute scam.

• Like 2
Phouchg

One simply cannot have any picture quality problems with digital signal. Either it'll fail spectacularly (skip, display combing or macroblocks) or be just fine.

That said, over long distances *all* kinds of cables display these problems because of insane bandwidth requirements - but that can be also due to poor equipment.

dark-heart

The truth is that the signal is sent digitally, unless there's a brake in the cable to effect the signal... then cheaper cables work fine.

FiB3R

Going too cheap can get you loose fitting connectors (if you are unlucky)

Other than that, image quality is identical.

EDIT: You might as well get HDMI 1.4 cables. That should future proof you a bit.

Marshall

Ok, what about standard cables vs. high speed (any brand?)

LaP

HDMI is digital.

You either get the signal or you don't. You'll clearly see that there's a problem. You'll either get a No signal from TV, intermitent image or "white blocks" that are clearly visible. I heard you can have a color cast problem but never saw it with my own eyes.

Personally i try to buy not too cheap and avoid no brand cables. I had some problems with really cheap no brand cables in the past. But you don't need to buy 100$ Monter Cable. Some 10$ basic Phillips cable wil do the job.

But the bottom line is if the cable works the quality will be the same.

• Like 1
mrmomoman

Digital is digital. It works or it doesn't for the most part. You can having handshaking issues with some cheaper cables. Monster is pure marketing and anyone telling you otherwise are liars.

Spend $8-15 for a decent cable if you want as they sometimes offer nicer end connectors or feel but that's purely aesthetic more so than function.

• Like 2
TAZMINATOR

I got a 10ft HDMI cable for free. It works great.

The Evil Overlord

... or just send me VAST amounts of money.

It won't help you, but I'll be grateful :p

Glen

As others have already stated, digital signals (such as HDMI or DVI) do not require expensive cables and you should be fine with a 3 foot cable of almost any quality, or longer cable of decent quality, but you don't need expensive Monster cables.  The whole market for expensive "ultra" cables came about back during the audiophile years when people claimed they could hear a difference in their analog stereo signal using $100+ cables.  While it did make some difference in analog signals on some high end systems, the difference was virtually indistinguishable to the average listener.  It did make the person spending the money feel better about themselves, so the market thrived.

In short:  No, you don't need those really expensive cables for a digital connection.

• Like 1
Lord Method Man

EDIT: You might as well get HDMI 1.4 cables. That should future proof you a bit.

There's no such thing as an 'HDMI 1.4' cable. Version numbers apply to devices, not cables. In fact since 2010 or 2011 HDMI.Org has prohibited the use of version numbers on cables because it was just a marketing lie that confused consumers.

And another endorsement for Monoprice cables here, they work great and have a solid warranty if they ever give you grief.

• Like 2
chrisj1968

Marshal, I'd stand by Monster cables  http://www.monstercable.com/hdmi/hdmi.asp Why? I bought 2 of their best HDMI cables for my 40 inch flat-screen in my livingroom. It makes all the difference. Charter cable gave me some cheap knock off cable my my TV didn't respond to the new blu-ray player until the monster cable was connected.

The good kind, GOLD and such, are wonderful. But you do get what you pay for. I'm positive you'll find cheaper monster cables un-used through amazon or ebay maybe???

But think about quality. if you have a nice theater system, you'll want what you can get to give the best presentation

Astra.Xtreme

HDMI cables either work or don't work. There is no difference in signal quality between a $100 "brand-name" cable and a $0.05 cable from China.

This is one of the few instances where it's perfectly fine to buy the cheapest option.

• Like 3
Lord Method Man

if you have a nice theater system, you'll want what you can get to give the best presentation

Which cheap Monoprice or Amazon Basics cable will do.

• Like 3
djdanster

Marshal, I'd stand by Monster cables  http://www.monstercable.com/hdmi/hdmi.asp Why? I bought 2 of their best HDMI cables for my 40 inch flat-screen in my livingroom. It makes all the difference. Charter cable gave me some cheap knock off cable my my TV didn't respond to the new blu-ray player until the monster cable was connected.

The good kind, GOLD and such, are wonderful. But you do get what you pay for. I'm positive you'll find cheaper monster cables un-used through amazon or ebay maybe???

But think about quality. if you have a nice theater system, you'll want what you can get to give the best presentation

Monster employee detected! :P

But seriously, I purchase ?1 HDMI cables from Amazon when I need them. I've never had any problems with "cheap" connectors, they've all been perfectly FINE! :)

Honestly Marshall, don't waste your money on Monster. The only difference is that they are braided for aesthetic purposes.

Oh yeah, and as others have said there is no such thing as a 1.4 cable :)

The Evil Overlord

Monster employee detected! :p

But seriously, I purchase ?1 HDMI cables from Amazon when I need them. I've never had any problems with "cheap" connectors, they've all been perfectly FINE! :)

Honestly Marshall, don't waste your money on Monster. The only difference is that they are braided for aesthetic purposes.

just to add, cheaper braided cables also exist :)

chrisj1968

Monster employee detected! :p

nope. never was. I'm retired and bought the monster cables. Gold and silver conduct electricity better then normal metals. Hence.. this is why AMD and Intel use silver for conduction in their processors.

others in this thread= Epic fail. :P 

The Evil Overlord

nope. never was. I'm retired and bought the monster cables. Gold and silver conduct electricity better then normal metals. Hence.. this is why AMD and Intel use silver for conduction in their processors.

others in this thread= Epic fail. :p

gee, thanks

xendrome

others in this thread= Epic fail. :p

A digital signal either exists or it doesn't.. if you aren't getting a signal or broken signal, the cable is totally defective. It doesn't matter the brand, as long as the construction quality is ok you are fine, ANY $10-$20 cable at the local store is the same thing.

• Like 1
+Dick Montage
 But you do get what you pay for.

Not at all.  Monster all but admitted to us it was pure nonsense but helped salespeople sell.