Google gets rid of Gmail Chat in favor of Hangouts+

Is it just me being stupid but isn't hangouts pretty much just Google chat?! It looks the same to me, allows chat so what's the actual difference here?

I don't use G+ and don't really see any point in it, but it doesn't hurt to just accept it. This is the direction google is going, you can't seriously expect them to keep old services that are being replaced by new ones that seem to offer the exact same functionality.

It's GTalk + group video chat (up to 10 participants), screen sharing, group video playlists, doc collaboration and whatever else people come up with through plugins.

It's GTalk + group video chat (up to 10 participants), screen sharing, group video playlists, doc collaboration and whatever else people come up with through plugins.

So i repeat the question, if its the same plus more under a different name... what's the problem here?!

So i repeat the question, if its the same plus more under a different name... what's the problem here?!

The actual single issue that haven't been mentioned here is that Hangouts is not longer based on the XMPP protocol alone, but rather an extended version that's not compatible with your average XMPP client like Pidgin (which makes sense since they are using features that I guess are not supported by plain XMPP, but still sucks).

As for this thread, it seems that for whatever reason some people don't like that Hangouts' contact settings are based on Google+ circles, and as such you get a Google+ profile if you use it.

I no longer have chat at all, it really is just a banner.

Companies indeed consolidate services BUT... turning my e-mail client into a social platform is not consolidation, it's bullying.. Inflation of Google+ user numbers. EVIL.

I don't use facebook either.

Same, I've deactivated my account for two months now and don't really feel like I'm missing out on much anyways other than seeing people parading their lives. I'm actually using G+ more, obviously not for the social element, but more of a twitter-like news feed to follow influential tech people and certain android developers. It's really those of us in tech that realize how much better G+ is compared to facebook, and the design just makes using it so pleasant to use. If facebook would just die, that would be great.