Nintendo Has Sold Over 654 Million Game Devices over the Last 30 Years

According to GoNintendo, Nintendo has sold an impressive 654.12 million consoles and hand-helds worldwide over the last 30 years. On the home console front, Nintendo has sold 268.97 million systems - from collective sales of the NES (Famicom), SNES (Super Famicom), N64, GameCube, Wii, and Wii U. The rest of the number is made up of hand-held device sales. Nintendo has sold 385.15 million hand-helds to-date. That number comes from cumulative sales of the Game Boy, Game Boy Advance, DS, and 3DS. Nintendo has also sold 2.195 billion console games and 1.907 billion handheld games.

All of those numbers come from a financial release from the company that included a promise from Nintendo president Saturo Iwata to return to "Nintendo-like" profits of the past.

"Nintendo posted an operating loss for the fiscal year ended March 31st 2013," Iwata said. "However, we strive to regain 'Nintendo-like' profits for the fiscal year ending March 31st 2014 by providing many people with fascinating games and services."

"We continue to make brand-new and unique proposals and make efforts for the growth of the home entertainment industry with a mission that is to pleasantly surprise people and put smiles on the faces of everyone Nintendo touches," he added.

Source: MCV

http://gamepolitics.com/2013/08/06/nintendo-has-sold-over-654-million-game-devices-over-last-30-years#.UgHXkZKnoWc

Apple isn't in the business of selling dedicated gaming devices.

I know, I know, mobile gaming is going to totally take over the traditional gaming market any time now.

• Like 2

I know, I know, mobile gaming is going to totally take over the traditional gaming market any time now.

Yep, any day now. PCs are dead too because tablets are useful, productive devices oh wait no they aren't.

How does this compare to Apple around the same time frame?

That's about as relevant to gaming devices as comparing the figures from a company like Ford.