Wii U pricing is not the issue, says Iwata

http://www.polygon.com/2013/8/12/4613320/wii-u-pricing-is-not-the-issue-says-iwata

I don't know where he got the $100 difference between the Basic and Deluxe because here, it's $50.  And it's for hardware that's barely better than current console.  So for me, the price and lack of good games is killing the Wii U.  And it wont get better when XB1 and PS4 are out...

• Like 2

The price isn't an issue if you ignore the PS4. With the recent price cuts in the UK, I think the Wii U offers a lot and with a lot more potential / games to come. The internal HDD is ridiculously small and I imagine we'll see a larger model one day. For now you have the option to use ext HDDs/SD cards. Not great, but at least it's not going to be on the same scale as the PS4 & X1 DLC / installs.

The PS4 price really hurts the perception that the Wii U doesn't offer value though. If they dropped the Basic SKU and pushed hard on first party, I really don't think it would be a problem.

$50 more for 4x storage and a free $40-60 game is a no-brainer.. In that case the deluxe is technically cheaper than the base unit despite it having a higher price tag.

The wii u offers nothing to the table except waiting for your controller to charge after every 3-4 hr use. Has the same games my 360 has, very few exclusives that are worth playing, and honestly its just a more confusing interface riddled with gimick. Take a tablet and put the wii & nunchuck controller on either side and boom.. lets ship it guys! Still waiting to see developers make titles that highlight Nintendo's design. I'll likely be waiting a long time though if these are any signs

http://mynintendonews.com/2013/05/08/avalanche-studios-says-wii-u-dev-kits-are-collecting-dust/

http://techland.time.com/2013/05/17/ea-isnt-making-wii-u-games-do-you-care/

Is it poossible they are even this desperate?? https://twitter.com/TronKnotts/statuses/320243046916706304

Nintendo has to Sega itself, in terms of making classic nintendo titles available for other systems. Imagine if the Wii U was as easily pirate-able as the dreamcast was. Nintendo wouldn't stand a chance. Basically rogue press plants could manufacture copies of the game without licensing, undercut nintendos pricing by a few bucks, and they'd work like genuine discs...

Not sure about the price, but the Wii U is facing similar issues as the 3DS.

Will see if they can turn the Wii U around like the did the 3DS.

I love the option to toggle between tv / game pad. 

I like my Wii U, but the games I'm interested are all being released down the road.

Pricing is an issue. Games are an issue. Usefulness is an issue.

The Wii U feels like that gaming system you'd find on the used shelf for $60 because it's old as hell and no one wants one anymore because the next iteration is out. The difference being that it's much more than $60 and doesn't even scratch the surface of an old gaming library.

Nintendo is still under the belief that how you input commands into the console is the source of fun and that mentality hurts their games which in turn hurts their sales. The Wii U is the console that didn't offer anything that people were actually looking for. The tablet was an answer to a problem that few people even had.

• Like 2

Nintendo is still under the belief that how you input commands into the console is the source of fun and that mentality hurts their games which in turn hurts their sales. The Wii U is the console that didn't offer anything that people were actually looking for. The tablet was an answer to a problem that few people even had.

Going by the logic that a new form of input being bundled in means the console will do badly then we should assume the xbox one will do badly too. Especially since it tries to fix an issue even fewer people had, the 'problem' of needing to use a controller.

• Like 1

Pricing is an issue. If Nintendo keep ignoring this reality the sales will continue to stagnate.

I agree. They need to fix this now if they want to survive.

^ They're hopeless. Nintendo pulled out nothing short of a miracle with the Wii, but consumers realised that the console ended up sitting in the corner connecting dust. When the Wii U came about Nintendo were unable to even communicate that this was a new system.

I am not happy about any of this. I love Nintendo. I want to see them succeed. I still plan on buying a Wii U but it will be wayyyyyyy down the line.

^ They're hopeless. Nintendo pulled out nothing short of a miracle with the Wii, but consumers realised that the console ended up sitting in the corner connecting dust. When the Wii U came about Nintendo were unable to even communicate that this was a new system.

I am not happy about any of this. I love Nintendo. I want to see them succeed. I still plan on buying a Wii U but it will be wayyyyyyy down the line.

This! There adverts are non-existent, they have little to no games coming out on a regular basis, and the ones that are. Well its the same shite from the dying days of the Wii. Not good.

Time for something radical Ninty!!

I believe the people who let it collect dust didn't really have an interest in the exclusive titles tbh, and I don't just mean 1st party Nintendo titles either. I could probably name just as many exclusive Wii titles as PS3/360 exclusives worth picking up.

The trouble was that from the get go the console was advertised to people who don't normally game, and when those "non-gamers" lost interest, whether it be to another device or hobby, the sales dried up. Developers kept shipping more "waggle" games trying to appeal to them but they were already gone. The developers who just made great games that included motion controls still saw success and demand on the console. Just look at the JRPG games and the petitions to have them localised outside Asia.

Pricing isn't the issue, sure it might sell more if it was cheaper, but not much.

it would sell a lot more if it had a mario kart game at launch or 6 months into it, a zelda game, a smash bros, maybe a new mario galaxy though I don't care much for full 3D mario, other people do. 

1.5 years to get the major console exclusives. 

Going by the logic that a new form of input being bundled in means the console will do badly then we should assume the xbox one will do badly too. Especially since it tries to fix an issue even fewer people had, the 'problem' of needing to use a controller.

Not quite the same. Xbox One uses a standard controller and Kinect. Developers are not obligated to use the Kinect. Anyway, it's not really the mere presence of the alternative input but rather how Nintendo treats it. They design their games around it and the novelty is short lived. A lot of their games become nothing more than a showcase for the hardware they built. They often come up with control schemes that aren't exactly optimal in order to use the marketed feature of their hardware. Case in point: Skyward Sword where half of your actions didn't need to be done via motion controls. I don't look forward to the next Zelda where I know I'm going to end up using that tablet as a viewport for some item. Oh joy. It's fun because instead of just moving the camera around with a joystick or IR pointer, I get to hold a 7" screen up to my face and rotate it around. Can't friggin wait.