1-year-old Brooklyn boy shot in head, killed as parents push stroller

(CNN) -- A 1-year-old boy was shot and killed as his parents pushed his stroller across a Brooklyn street Sunday evening, New York City police said.

The parents of Antiq Hennis were pushing the stroller across Livonia Avenue, near their home, about 7:19 p.m. when the child was shot in the left side of the head, a police statement said. He was pronounced dead on arrival at Brookdale Hospital.

The police statement offered no details on the circumstances of the shooting and said no arrests had been made.

The shooting came two days after a Georgia jury convicted an 18-year-old man of murder in the shooting of a 1-year-old baby in a stroller in the coastal city of Brunswick.

De'Marquise Elkins faces a mandatory life sentence in the March 21 killing of Antonio Santiago. The child's mother said Elkins shot her and the baby after demanding money.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/01/justice/new-york-baby-shot/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

WTF is this world coming to.

• Like 1

I hate real world news on Neowin, there's no escape anymore :/

I hate reading these stories.  I have a 2 year old son and couldn't imagine this happening to him. I would be devastated.  I also have two daughters (6 and 8) and if anything happened to them I wouldn't know what to do.

• Like 4

I thought guns were banned in NYC?

I thought gun control makes us safer. Obviously not the case and its obvious that this isn't the work of some law abiding gun owner. 

• Like 2

I hate reading these stories.  I have a 2 year old son and couldn't imagine this happening to him. I would be devastated.  I also have two daughters (6 and 8) and if anything happened to them I wouldn't know what to do.

The difference is you are in Canada and this happened in Brooklyn.

Another victim of the United States of Guns.

I wonder when the NRA are going to appear and say the child might have survived if it also had a gun?

• Like 1

The difference is you are in Canada and this happened in Brooklyn.

Eh.. people still have guns in Canada.  Granted they are for hunting moose and whales during the 2 months of summer, and 10/12 months are spent in Igloos.. it does still happen.  Snow is only so hard.

I thought gun control makes us safer. Obviously not the case and its obvious that this isn't the work of some law abiding gun owner.

F**K Yeah! If they baby had been armed, this tragedy could have been averted.

:crazy:

I think I would have preferred not to open this thread... I think I'll just stay out of "real world news", too much like TV news (sad and irrelevant.)

That's kind of the point of this section, to discuss real world news...

Funny how this thread gets all the attention but no one comments in the self defense thread a few threads down lol. United states of GUNZZZZZZZ durrrrr give that baby a gun hur dur! Some of you people are ugh...

Funny how this thread gets all the attention but no one comments in the self defense thread a few threads down lol. United states of GUNZZZZZZZ durrrrr give that baby a gun hur dur! Some of you people are ugh...

Personally one of them is a textbook case for having a gun and therefore I have nothing to say about it. This is horrific though, of course people are going to comment on it.

I agree that some of the points made here leave something to be desired. If I'm impartial to the subject of guns, their comments wouldn't help sway me to their side.

Anyway, gun control should be talked about in the appropriate thread, not here.

So was this done as some sort of tribute? How could someone intentionally shoot a baby? There are some sick people in the world...

Such a tragic situation, and it's utterly disgusting that this stuff is still allowed to happen. I hope the scum that shot the baby gets what's coming to him. And I REALLY hope the shooting wasn't on purpose. That doesn't make it better, but at least it wouldn't be so horrific to think that someone purposely shot a 1 year old.

kinda is, gun had to came from some where, doubt it was smuggled in from Canada in horse anuses and assembled in the US.

Some where along the line another incompetent gun owner lost yet another gun, and it ended up in the hands of someone who shouldn't have had it.

And a law in 1 state isn't going to have any real affect if the hillbilly states next to it allow for wannabe cowboys to roam the streets.

Those "hillbilly cowboys" or the correct term for them is carry permit holders account for almost 0% of  the crimes committed with guns. So while you poke fun and try to demoralize legal gun owners and legal carry permit holders they are not the ones committing the crime.  And since you live in Kansas, since the carrying of firearms became legal in Kansas of the 51,078 permits issued only 44 committed crimes with their firearms. Do you want to do the math and tell me what percent of legal gun owners commit crime? That works out to one charge for every 1,161 permit holders, or 0.09 percent.  :) 

Such a tragic situation, and it's utterly disgusting that this stuff is still allowed to happen. I hope the scum that shot the baby gets what's coming to him. And I REALLY hope the shooting wasn't on purpose. That doesn't make it better, but at least it wouldn't be so horrific to think that someone purposely shot a 1 year old.

Funny how you say its allowed to happen. Its not allowed to happen, its called murder. Oh and BTW you're no worse than the murderer because you want him to have the same fate.  :rolleyes:

Those "hillbilly cowboys" or the correct term for them is carry permit holders account for almost 0% of  the crimes committed with guns. So while you poke fun and try to demoralize legal gun owners and legal carry permit holders they are not the ones committing the crime.  And since you live in Kansas, since the carrying of firearms became legal in Kansas of the 51,078 permits issued only 44 committed crimes with their firearms. Do you want to do the math and tell me what percent of legal gun owners commit crime? That works out to one charge for every 1,161 permit holders, or 0.09 percent.  :) 

A baby is death and all you manage to say is an argument about guns rights?

The real question is, how can you look at a baby and put a bullet in him/her? How mentally damaged and devoid of emotion do you have to be to carry that out? I could be severely ###### at something and a baby's giggle would kick that mood out of me.