Linux System Stats Script - Version 2.2.1 Released

Added a small update that you can get from the git :)

The Gnome version would only pick up three digits i.e 3.4.2 if for example the version was 3.4.2.1 the version would not be picked up resulting in an error, change implemented so that it will pick up full version number no matter how long.

did my update get added too?  :shifty:

lol not yet was just a very small bug fix first :P

I dont know how to package yet so will need Orangekiller to do that

but i will try get gentoo installed tonight to test too

question for you is there like a snapshot i can install or do i have to compile everything even in a VM?

Sorry for the late reply. I will try to find some time to review the Gentoo support patch later today. I have been busy with another project recently.

Off topic rant: The libparted documentation needs some serious improvement! I have to read the libparted source to understand almost everything. And sometimes even that doesn't make the intended use of each function obvious, so I have to read the parted front-end source too. The parted source would even be helpful if there wasn't so much indirection to initialize each Ped* struct. Also, why does the libparted source include a healthy amount of Doxygen documentation but no doxy file to generate a reference manual?

I have been a little hesitant to incorporate official support for more distributions into Stats because it makes new releases increasingly difficult to sufficiently test (without hundreds of gigs of virtual machines, that is). Therefore I have been (slowly) working on a proper integration testing framework to drastically reduce the support burden of testing new releases. It is currently far from complete (therefore I have not pushed its development branch to GitHub, not to mention merged it into master), but it will hopefully appear in a future release. The diagnostic reports Stats 2.x can generate are extremely helpful for implementing this framework. FizzyWidget, would you mind generating a diagnostic report for me on your Gentoo system? I would greatly appreciate it.

Just an FYI, since having the issue with the funky window borders and it screenshotting minimized windows, I've upgraded from Ubuntu 13.04 to Xubuntu 13.10, and the issue doesn't seem to exist any more.  Not sure if it was the switch from Ubuntu to Xubuntu, the upgrade from 13.04 to 13.10, or what, but it's working great for me now, :-)

Sorry for the late reply. I will try to find some time to review the Gentoo support patch later today. I have been busy with another project recently.

Off topic rant: The libparted documentation needs some serious improvement! I have to read the libparted source to understand almost everything. And sometimes even that doesn't make the intended use of each function obvious, so I have to read the parted front-end source too. The parted source would even be helpful if there wasn't so much indirection to initialize each Ped* struct. Also, why does the libparted source include a healthy amount of Doxygen documentation but no doxy file to generate a reference manual?

I have been a little hesitant to incorporate official support for more distributions into Stats because it makes new releases increasingly difficult to sufficiently test (without hundreds of gigs of virtual machines, that is). Therefore I have been (slowly) working on a proper integration testing framework to drastically reduce the support burden of testing new releases. It is currently far from complete (therefore I have not pushed its development branch to GitHub, not to mention merged it into master), but it will hopefully appear in a future release. The diagnostic reports Stats 2.x can generate are extremely helpful for implementing this framework. FizzyWidget, would you mind generating a diagnostic report for me on your Gentoo system? I would greatly appreciate it.

I would do if it hadnt crashed and seems to have wiped itself out - and in the mood I am in atm, I am not inclined to put linux back on that laptop any time soon, seems not matter what distro i use i get issue  :angry:

Just an FYI, since having the issue with the funky window borders and it screenshotting minimized windows, I've upgraded from Ubuntu 13.04 to Xubuntu 13.10, and the issue doesn't seem to exist any more.  Not sure if it was the switch from Ubuntu to Xubuntu, the upgrade from 13.04 to 13.10, or what, but it's working great for me now, :-)

I had trouble replicating your issue, hence the lack of a commit with a fix for it. I suspect that it is actually a bug in Compiz, not Stats (and by extension ImageMagick::Import or Scrot). Since XFCE does not use Compiz (unlike Unity, which is literally built on it), your switch to Xubuntu seems to support that theory.

I would do if it hadnt crashed and seems to have wiped itself out - and in the mood I am in atm, I am not inclined to put linux back on that laptop any time soon, seems not matter what distro i use i get issue  :angry:

I understand, and I appreciate your contributions regardless. However, Gentoo seems like an odd choice of distro if you want something relatively effortless and stable. If you decide to try again with another distro, I recommend Debian. I can't promise that you will have no issues with it (especially without knowing what problems you had with the distros you previously ran), but it is generally counted as one of the best supported and most stable Linux distributions.

I have an image i can use to get it back up and working, but a simple ext4 defrag of /home should not cause the kernel to spaz out and take the partition with it - i will see what i can do, I think the laptop is just too new and none of the kernels seem to play nice, so debian using an older kernel may not be an issue for me

seeing as you asked so nicely - here is the report you wanted  :)

http://pastebin.com/DbTp2vrT

set to expire in a week

Thank you. I downloaded it. I'm sure it will help. Sorry I didn't have time to review your patch yesterday. I likely won't have time tonight either, but I will try to get to it by this weekend.

there was something i found when i put the clean image back on that will need to be added to the readme should you decide to implement the changes

Required applications for gentoo (should be on a working system) If not please run emerge and make sure you have the following installed

lsb_release
xrandr
xdpyinfo
perl-Switcher
scrot

If any of the packages above are not installed, then run

emerge lsb_release xrandr xdpyinfo perl-Switcher scrot

Seeing as Gentoo decides to have files in different places as other distributions you will need to make a symlink in /etc to the hostname file in /etc/conf.d/hostname

This is done by using

ln -s /etc/conf.d/hostname /etc/hostname

Should I have some time tomorrow I will try and sort that out and upload a newer version

Should I have some time tomorrow I will try and sort that out and upload a newer version

If you could provide a diff of your changes that would be fantastic. A diff would make it much easier for me to review the changes (and import them into Git); otherwise I have to handle the merger myself when I commit the changes to the repository. If you make a copy of the pristine source directory before making changes, you can generate a clean diff as follows:

$ diff -rupN haggis-stats-orig/ haggis-stats/ > stats-add-gentoo-support-v1.patch

Will do, having an issue atm due to the fact that Gentoo likes to have the hostname file say hostname='name_Here' and i dont know enough of perl to get it to remove it without causing issues elsewhere.

One patch as requested, it may seem large but i think thats because when you look at the patch it thinks all your files are from 1970, and everything needs to be replaced :D

http://pastebin.com/9CJB0FGV - Will expire in 1 week

I still cant get it to not show the host name as

Hostname: Hostname='name'

as I say I am not that great in perl, everything else seems to work fine though :)

One patch as requested, it may seem large but i think thats because when you look at the patch it thinks all your files are from 1970, and everything needs to be replaced :D

http://pastebin.com/9CJB0FGV - Will expire in 1 week

I still cant get it to not show the host name as

Hostname: Hostname='name'

as I say I am not that great in perl, everything else seems to work fine though :)

That diff is very noisy, and I think I know why. It is likely that your text editor munged with the spacing and/or line endings. Therefore virtually every line appears to be new whereas it really is not. Although the improper dates are certainly indicative of... something, I don't think they are the source of the problem since diff only captures substantive changes. I can work with the diff you provided as-is if necessary, but would you be willing to produce it again with --ignore-space-change, --ignore-tab-expansion, and --strip-trailing-cr? I would greatly appreciate it if that produces a cleaner diff. The modified command is below.

$ diff -rupNEb --strip-trailing-cr haggis-stats-orig/ haggis-stats/ > stats-add-gentoo-support-v1.patch

The latest version of your patch is much nicer. Thank you FizzyWidget; you have been very accommodating. I will commit it when I get back from work today.

FizzyWidget, I just committed official Gentoo support to the Stats repository. You can check it out here. It is based the latest version of your patch, which I enhanced it further to integrate better with the existing Stats codebase. I also added support for the Gentoo hostname file to the script rather than merely mentioning a workaround in the documentation.

I am not ready to do another release just yet, but you are welcome to check out the latest commit in the Stats repository. We try to keep the master branch in working condition at all times. You can either download a zip of master generated by GitHub or clone the repository to try it.

$ git clone https://github.com/xorangekiller/haggis-stats.git