Shots at US capital

Hmm, i am sorry, but that woman was using her car as a weapon...

And the murderers of Lee Rigby had actual weapons that they actually used, yet still they were only shot as a last resort and in a non-lethal manner. We had a situation in the UK about eight years ago where the police shot and killed Jean Charles de Menezes because he was believed to be a terrorist and was running away, a case that generated a massive public outrage. It was followed by two independent police inquiries and the police force was found guilty under a corporate criminal prosecution. My point being that people should be outraged that police would shoot first and ask questions later.

Looking at the footage it was completely unacceptable to shoot at the driver. It's just another example of the US police state.

And the murderers of Lee Rigby had actual weapons that they actually used, yet still they were only shot as a last resort and in a non-lethal manner. We had a situation in the UK about eight years ago where the police shot and killed Jean Charles de Menezes because he was believed to be a terrorist and was running away, a case that generated a massive public outrage. It was followed by two independent police inquiries and the police force was found guilty under a corporate criminal prosecution. My point being that people should be outraged that police would shoot first and ask questions later.

Looking at the footage it was completely unacceptable to shoot at the driver. It's just another example of the US police state.

I disagree, the police was right in shooting at the car. From watching the video the lady almost hit some of the police officers and they had to jump out of the way. The women was crazed or something and police had to do something to stop her from killing someone else.

• Like 2

and again, where is the responsibility of the "crazy" person?  your car is a weapon, driving at a high rate of speed very close by the WH and Capitol Hill are grounds to get shot at.   Look at the police officer car? Should that be allowed? Should that police officer die because we are afraid to shoot a crazy person who is putting others in danger? hmm..somehow i dont think you will see it "Our way", but to most Americans, the woman being killed is a sad story, but not much else that could have been done.

• Like 2

why are people defending the women what she did was wrong just because the gov shutdowns doesn't mean you go to the whitehouse etc and starting doing what she did.

The lady was obviously not right in the head. The concrete/steel pillars that protect the entrances can stop just about any size vehicle including military tanks. Whatever she was trying to do was a result of irrational thinking.

Let's not forget these cops & security forces have NO idea if she's just loopy or if she has a car bomb and is a terrorist trying to attack the President or other leaders. Highly dynamic events like these preclude investigating before acting.

Not surprising. The response by police to most situations in the US is what amounts to little less than a firing squad.

Every thread about the USA you're in here like clockwork critisizing them. Your last 3 signatures have been anti-american quotes. Why are you so anti american?

You think only the Americans would shoot at someone trying to ram a secure area? Even here in the RAF we'd shoot at somebody trying to ram the main gate. A car in the wrong hands is a deadly weapon. And we're the air force. The softer, more cuddly, armed force of the three.

You really think there wouldn't be guns used if somebody tried to ram their way into Downing Street with the PM inside? Or ram the gates of Buckingham Palace?

You don't even know what they were shooting at in the video, the could have just as easily been shooting the tires. We get it, you hate America.

Hell, in Thailand you get shot for even coming near the king's palace. This wasn't a gate at Wal-Mart, it was the White House, I think this would be par the course for committing violence against the house of the country's leader in any country.

I don't see the outrage about the police shooting her; the police in the video were clearly talking to the driver with their guns down before she lurched out and started driving away. "Shoot first, ask questions later" means the police would've shot her before she got the chance to drive away, that's obviously not what happened.

Well I cant believe you guys are all defending the women cant believe none of you guys believe what she did was wrong for goodness sakes guys just because the gov is shutdown doesn't mean you can go to the whitehouse and start doing what she did the cops had every right to do what they did.

Every thread about the USA you're in here like clockwork critisizing them. Your last 3 signatures have been anti-american quotes. Why are you so anti american?

I regularly criticise UK foreign policy and post about my opposition to the privatisation taking place under the UK's coalition government.  I also regularly criticise Israel and the war crimes being committed there, so my criticism is by no means limited to the US. It just happens to be that the US does a lot to warrant criticism and there are more topics about the US posted here than there are about the UK, Australia or the EU.

In this case I was pointing out a noticeable difference in approach by police in the UK and the US that is of material relevance to the topic. This incident is just one part of a much bigger picture that warrants scrutiny. It concerns me that people display such antipathy towards the casual discharge of firearms and even of suspects being shot.

Well I cant believe you guys are all defending the women cant believe none of you guys believe what she did was wrong for goodness sakes guys just because the gov is shutdown doesn't mean you can go to the whitehouse and start doing what she did the cops had every right to do what they did.

You're mistaken. People aren't defending the woman but rather are criticising the police response. The two are very different.

To all the Europeans that say they acted inappropriate: try ramming the gates to Buckingham. I'm sure they'll just slap you on the wrist and you'll be on your way. :rolleyes:

America is not that bad. Europe has ghettos and crazy people too.

They didn't shoot at her for that. As you can clearly see in the video, they surrounded her and tried to get her out of the car before someone got hurt. Instead she drives in to them.

They didn't open fire at the gates when she rammed the gates, or even when they got her to stop for a brief second. They opened fire when she tried to run over them, injuring an officer.

I'm sure theyarecomingforyou thought superman was going to swoop down and save everyone.

Ok didn't watch that vid. But it's pretty common sense: If you injure an officer, a fellow officer is going to open fire for fear of his own life, and the lives of those around him. And he has all rights to do so. A lot more people could have gotten hurt if he hadn't killed her.  I don't really appreciate being judged by my country because some nationalist **** can't seem to pull his head out of his ass. I'm not singling any one person out, but Jesus people give it a rest.

People? I think its just you.

You seem to think people should be allowed to run others over with cars.

Nonsense, that's obviously not what I was saying. I just don't think it's appropriate for the go-to response to be the use of firearms. My criticism was clearly of the 'shoot first ask questions later' mentality that pervades law enforcement in the United States. On its own it's a questionable response but as part of the bigger picture it's very concerning.

Nonsense, that's obviously not what I was saying. I just don't think it's appropriate for the go-to response to be the use of firearms. My criticism was clearly of the 'shoot first ask questions later' mentality that pervades law enforcement in the United States. On its own it's a questionable response but as part of the bigger picture it's very concerning.

Even the video shows they didn't shoot first, they tried to he her out of the car then she took off. Clearly your view is blame the law enforcement first before having all the facts.

• Like 2

BTW, the Park Police are considered essential personnel, so they aren't getting paid while the gov't is shut down.

But they will be paid for time worked once it is. They aren't doing it out of the goodness of their hearts.

I agree with you, I do think they have that mentality. I think it's part of the bigger gun problem we have in America.

As for their response in this situation, I haven't made my mind up yet.

I agree with you, I do think they have that mentality. I think it's part of the bigger gun problem we have in America.

I think the problem is that it has become so accepted that police are justified in using deadly force that it isn't even questioned. Most of the time there isn't even an inquiry, with officers back out on the streets as if nothing happened. Killing a suspect should be a BIG deal.

As for their response in this situation, I haven't made my mind up yet.

I think the issue I have is that most of these situations end up as a firing squad. We're not talking about a clear chain of command where the lead officer makes a calculated decision to use deadly force to resolve the situation; it just becomes an 'each man for himself' situation where everybody opens fire. There was an incident in Times Square a while back where a man with a knife was shot dead and there were bullets flying everywhere and the police were running around like headless chickens. Some of these you're talking about upwards of 40 shots being fired, with bystanders being put at significant risk.

These are the officers protecting the nation's capital and some of the most important buildings in the country. Their response should be exemplary, their training unmatched. It looked like she panicked and wanted to get away from there rather than trying to kill anyone, not that I am in anyway trying to defend her behaviour. More concerning is that the media coverage on CNN stated that the police demonstrated great restraint by not firing sooner.