Just what is in that chicken nugget ?

Tofu is fine! Prepared properly (Japanese style!) and not shaped into pretend meat! ;)

Try this, it's fantastic!  http://pixelatedcrumb.com/2011/08/02/hiyayakko-japanese-cold-tofu/

Japanese_Tofu-7-1024x682.jpg

Added it to favourites, I'll ask my wife if she can make it (because she's a chef, not because I'm a sexist pig who thinks a man's mistake when a woman who comes in from the kitchen to moan at them, is making the chain too long :p)

Added it to favourites, I'll ask my wife if she can make it (because she's a chef, not because I'm a sexist pig who thinks a man's mistake when a woman who comes in from the kitchen to moan at them, is making the chain too long :p)

It's no mutually exclusive :p

It's kinda sad how humanity went from eating EVERY part of an animal they killed, and what they couldn't eat they used. to modern humans who frown if it isn't pure meat and throw away half the animal. 

It's kinda sad how humanity went from eating EVERY part of an animal they killed, and what they couldn't eat they used. to modern humans who frown if it isn't pure meat and throw away half the animal. 

Yup, as I remember going to a museum not far from where I live, as a child, and exactly this ^ Nothing went to waste, not even the bones or skin

I'll happily eat offal.  I only object when something is presented as something else, when it's not.

Top tip. Braised lambs liver with onions, mashed potato (I mix in a little sweet potato into the mash), mixed veg and gravy.  Delicious!

Shallow fried liver is also scrummy. :p

• Like 1

When has nuggets ever been advertised as pure slices of chicken breast ?

it's a by product product. though there are some luxury overpriced ones that are pure slices of breast, but kinda pointless. 

When has nuggets ever been advertised as pure slices of chicken breast ?

it's a by product product. though there are some luxury overpriced ones that are pure slices of breast, but kinda pointless. 

In the UK at least, McDonalds advertise their McNuggets as being 100% breast meat.  Our laws are pretty strict on that, so if they're not and they get caught, they're royally screwed.

• Like 2

Considering how easy it is to make your own, I can't understand why anyone would buy those repulsive processed nuggets

Considering how easy it is to make your own, I can't understand why anyone would buy those repulsive processed nuggets

Because they taste the same and you don't use expensive chicken breast file's for it... 

And actually I believe in Europe at least McD's nuggets are actually made from 100% breast. I live far away from any McD anyway and prefer BK if I'm in a city. bigger and better burgers. 

...You must have had some crappy home-made nuggets (or someone told you they were home-made and they weren't) if you think home made and that processed filth taste anything alike.

the pink slime is actually used for "beef" not chicken mostly at least although there may exist a similar process. still even with 100% breast meat doesn't mean it wasn't using food grade glue to make it one piece lol.

Tyson Crispy Chicken Breast Strips are made with 100% all natural* ingredients and are fully cooked for easy preparation.. note the * "natural" is not regulated by the USDA so i could contain pork and still be natural.

eXtermia, on 05 Oct 2013 - 10:28, said:eXtermia, on 05 Oct 2013 - 10:28, said:

Tyson Crispy Chicken Breast Strips are made with 100% all natural* ingredients and are fully cooked for easy preparation.. note the * "natural" is not regulated by the USDA so i could contain pork and still be natural.

I used to work at Tyson for a little while. It's definitely natural except how the chickens are treated and die. I'm not an animal extremist by any means but I have never been so disgusted by anything I have seen than what I did working at Tyson and that likely goes for any mass producer of meats. Anyway, there is all kinds of crap in Tyson products, I have seen employees urinate in large vats cause they were too lazy to walk to the bathroom. But urination is natural. Oh and the rats, dear god. But it's all heavily diluted and certainly falls within the 100% natural thing. I'll eat Tyson nuggets, their pretty good despite my experience.

Yes, but the quality of animals in the wild is very different to those raised in captivity. In the US animals are routinely fed growth hormones to rapidly bulk them up and antibiotics in order to survive the terrible conditions. Chicken carcasses contain more fecal bacteria than found in toilets and a lot of people have greater sensitivity to such bacteria, like children and the elderly. Humans didn't live to the age of 100 in the wild and certainly wouldn't have done so eating every part of raw animals. The issue is also complicated by businesses' desire for profits, with many employing questionable techniques (centrifuges, bone scrapers and ammonia gas, etc) to improve profitability for shareholders. Further, any parts not used for human food aren't simply thrown away but used for other products, like dog food.

I understand where you're coming from but I think your point is misguided.

This is what happens when customers demand cheaper and cheaper and cheaper and cheaper food. Do people think that prices can magically drop without any sort of corners being cut as to reduce the cost of the ingredients? once again this is why the need to have business and economics classes in schools.

• Like 2

This is what happens when customers demand cheaper and cheaper and cheaper and cheaper food. Do people think that prices can magically drop without any sort of corners being cut as to reduce the cost of the ingredients? once again this is why the need to have business and economics classes in schools.

Exactly. I believe that we need to demand basic safety and quality standards; if products need to be sold at a higher price then so be it. At some point it likely won't be cost effective for the average family to eat meat, which is why we need to invest in alternatives.

Yes, but the quality of animals in the wild is very different to those raised in captivity. In the US animals are routinely fed growth hormones to rapidly bulk them up and antibiotics in order to survive the terrible conditions. Chicken carcasses contain more fecal bacteria than found in toilets and a lot of people have greater sensitivity to such bacteria, like children and the elderly. Humans didn't live to the age of 100 in the wild and certainly wouldn't have done so eating every part of raw animals. The issue is also complicated by businesses' desire for profits, with many employing questionable techniques (centrifuges, bone scrapers and ammonia gas, etc) to improve profitability for shareholders. Further, any parts not used for human food aren't simply thrown away but used for other products, like dog food.

I understand where you're coming from but I think your point is misguided.

What does animals in the wild have to do with it? I'm not talking about the Stone Age. As little as 50 years ago this was true, and not just with hunted animals, but animals slaughtered on farms and such as well.

And in Europe, we don't allow as much growth hormones and we don't allow the constant feeding of antibiotics to "prevent diseases, which has led to the US by far leading in having the most resistant bacteria today.

As for chicken and food, again, at least most of Europe are quite heavily regulated on how we treat animals, including chickens, so this isn't an issue. Speaking of that though, most things have a higher count of fecal bacteria than toilets. Toilets are regularly cleaned with special soaps that remove and prevent growth, in production the glaze and seat are also set with special materials that kill and prevent fecal bacteria growth. You'd be safer eating food from the toilet than your keyboard.

Mr Nom Nom's, on 05 Oct 2013 - 10:51, said:Mr Nom Nom's, on 05 Oct 2013 - 10:51, said:

I agree but I also think prices don't really need to be where they are. I don't know why back in 1984 I could get real food for the same % expense (inflation into account) that now I get processed, but I believe it's more about investors being greedy than anything else. Population has grown sure, but so has food grown production thanks to science and chemicals.

Then it's also politics. Sell an Apple to some other country for half the price that we pay them for an Apple just to remain political friends and allies (example). Which probably more deeply also goes into our unfair tax system where companies get a break if they sell one product to whatever country.

My question is, would our food be cheaper if we didn't sell/trade so much to other countries? In my example of 1984, why was real food cheaper as in percentage of outcome to a family, inflation is one way to view price difference of course but our financial output in terms of percentage is certainly different but now yields less real product...I don't see why that should be other than BS politics. Chickens are cheap to raise! I know some families who save tons on eggs and chicken meat just by raising them.

What does animals in the wild have to do with it? I'm not talking about the Stone Age. As little as 50 years ago this was true, and not just with hunted animals, but animals slaughtered on farms and such as well.

Yes, but look at how significantly mass production techniques have reduced quality - most of that has occurred within the past 50-100 years. The quality of most mass produced meat and crops bears little resemblance to that from just a century ago and not for the better. I appreciate that some of the issues with meat quality are US specific but even in Europe it was only recently that caged eggs had to be clearly labelled and restrictions were put in place to guarantee minimum amounts of space for chickens.

More importantly, just because those parts are used doesn't excuse the manner in which they are being sold currently. I mean we're looking at more non-meat than meat in these nuggets, which simply isn't want consumers believe they're buying. Sausages are a classic example, because if you don't watch out you can end up with as little as 32% meat - that's especially problematic in places where customers do not have access to the ingredients lists (school and workplace cafeterias, cafes, etc). I don't have a problem with such parts being used but I just think consumers should be aware of what they're eating and better standards put in place.