HOLLYWOOD, Oct. 26 (UPI) -- Marcia Wallace, the voice of Edna Krabappel on "The Simpsons" died, the show's executive producer, Al Jean, said in a statement. She was 70.

The nature and date of her death wasn't reported.

"I was tremendously saddened to learn this morning of the passing of the brilliant and gracious Marcia Wallace. She was beloved by all at The Simpsons and we intend to retire her irreplaceable character," Jean said.

The series hinted earlier this year that a major character on "The Simpsons" would die this season, but Jean said it was not connected to Wallace's death, The Hollywood Reporter said.

"Earlier we had discussed a potential storyline in which a character passed away. This was not Marcia's Edna Krabappel. Marcia's passing is unrelated and again, a terrible loss for all who had the pleasure of knowing her," Jean said.

Wallace won an Emmy in 1992 for outstanding voice over for "The Simpsons" and previously appeared on "The Bob Newhart Show," "Bewitched," "The Brady Bunch," "Murder She Wrote" and "Full House," The Hollywood Reporter said.

th?id=H.5043357948053959&pid=15.1&H=160&

source

"I was tremendously saddened to learn this morning of the passing of the brilliant and gracious Marcia Wallace. She was beloved by all at The Simpsons and we intend to retire her irreplaceable character," Jean said.

I am glad. I hate it when they replace actors.

• Like 2

I think that says something, it's sweet to not replace her with someone new and instead retire the character as a last goodbye of sorts. 

• Like 1

Feel bad for poor old Ned Flanders.

In real life, im also deeply saddened by this. My thoughts are with her relatives and cast members.

I know....now he has lost 2 wives and the boys have lost 2 moms.

Marcia Wallace, the late actress who provided the voice of schoolteacher Edna Krabappel in The Simpsons, has been remembered in its latest episode.

Sunday's edition of the series began with Bart Simpson at the blackboard, standing beneath the poignant message: "We'll really miss you Mrs. K."

Wallace died of complications from pneumonia on 25 October at her home in Los Angeles at the age of 70.

The actress won an Emmy in 1992 for her work on the long-running animated show.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-24802207