• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Nintendo: Wii U Has Failed as a Worthy Successor to Wii

McKay    3,696

Mario Kart, Zelda and a new Mario Bros 3D should have been available at launch. I gotta agree that they dropped the ball through the floor straight to the Earth's core so far.

Surely if it keeps failing, it'll be a sudden success in Australia?  :rofl:

• Like 1

TruckWEB    480

This is kind of interesting... The past couple days there's been several negative nintendo stories posted, yet no one flinches one bit. But... if this same scenario were to happen in say, the microsoft section here, there'd be about a 95% chance of a massive ****storm hitting whoever posted.

I don't see why people complain about the wii u's name, but not the name of a certain other console. Surely the Xbox One is a dumber and more confusing name for a console than the wii u. Especially when it's the third one and people often refer to the first prodcut in a line as "name one/1".

At least the Xbox One refers to the ONE console you need to do it all, from games to music/movie/TV/....

What does the U means in Wii U ??

Growled    3,881

As far as I am concerned the Wii U is a disgrace.

Andrew    2,861

Gotta laugh at those saying to drop the Wii U and start on something new :laugh: Seems those few aren't too aware of SEGA's past.

People really need to chill out & let Nintendo get on with things. They've had a fantastic year with the 3DS, but I imagine many of the same people would be hounding for Nintendo to call it quits back in 2011 when things were very different for the handheld. You just don't know how things are going to turn out and a couple of great games every quarter are all that it needs to turn it around.

After X1/PS4 are launched and the draught sets in until Q3/4, Wii U is going to look very appealing to a lot of gamers. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-10-26-the-strongest-next-gen-line-up-from-the-unlikeliest-source

seta-san    1,424

naming was horrible. it sounded like it was nothing more than a second model wii. Timing was horrible too; the wii u's launch reminded me of the dreamcast. It was too early, not powerful enough, and everyone waited for the other's to release their new system.

i also think that in no small way they over estimated people's love for motion/gimick controls. They helped sell the wii in large quantities.. but most people remembered that after playing alot of the original gimick games they hardly touched the system. They should make a re-entry into hard-core gaming.. perhaps even utilizing some heavily modified version of android as it's OS.

threetonesun    1,204

It's been pretty clear from their TV ads that the mass market doesn't even realize that it's a new console.

Rigby    1,577

It should not have had Wii anywhere in its name. The marketing has been a spectacular failure, they didn't have any games ready for launch, and it's really not a big enough upgrade to justify the expense. They should have just made the tablet thing an addon for the Wii and waited a bit longer until they could launch a truly worthwhile successor.

• Like 1

Dotdot    322

Could of been great, but a complete lack of software, advertising and promotion have left the Wii U where it is.

Not to mention basically handing devs a system that is more like the past gen than the new x64 architecture consoles coming out now.

Honestly still cant believe the launch line up it had..... abysmal!!

Tha Bloo Monkee    591

Love reading the comments about what they think Nintendo "should have done".  There's a reason you aren't CEO and business is not as easy as you make it out to be. ;)

• Like 1

compl3x    6,290

We're consumers, so maybe those folk over at Nintendo should be listening? Plus, Iwata himself is admitting failure ...so ...

spenser.d    1,100

Love reading the comments about what they think Nintendo "should have done". There's a reason you aren't CEO and business is not as easy as you make it out to be. ;)

That argument only really works if the CEO is doing a good job.

In other news I might get a Wii this Christmas...

]SK[    109

It's been pretty clear from their TV ads that the mass market doesn't even realize that it's a new console.

I saw a review on Amazon where someone got Mario U and complained as it doesn't work on their Wii.  The name is confusion for parents who don't use the system themselves.

The only reason I have a Wii U is for games I cannot get on any other system. Mario, Zelda etc.  If I had a choice of buying a cross platform game I would most likely buy it for the other console.

threetonesun    1,204

I'm pretty sure Nintendo knows this is it's last TV console, and that the next generation will merge the handhelds with some sort of TV connection. The Wii U is pretty close to that already, and I know a lot of people would rather play their 3DS games on a big screen.

spenser.d    1,100

I'm pretty sure Nintendo knows this is it's last TV console, and that the next generation will merge the handhelds with some sort of TV connection. The Wii U is pretty close to that already, and I know a lot of people would rather play their 3DS games on a big screen.

Isn't the point of buying a handheld gaming device to play on a portable, small screen?

+jamesyfx    362

The Wii U is a disaster for Nintendo, they just went about it all wrong. 

The first thing they did wrong was call it a Wii U. Most consumers don't even realise that this is a brand new console which is different to the Wii. Microsoft and Sony make it plainly obvious when a they release a new console. Even calling it the Wii 2 would've been better than what they did. But they managed to make it just slip everyones mind.

Second thing.. is they built on top of a platform that had become stagnant. The Wii was a bit of an experiment when it first launched and while it was popular and sold in large quantities, the furore had faded away somewhat.

Thirdly, it's main selling point, the GamePad is a very flawed device. It's uncomfortable, the battery life is poor and the range is poor. 

And I guess lastly, most of the games use the Wii U's unique features as nothing more of a gimmicky shoe-in. Lots of games would be a lot more fun if you didn't have to use it.

Edit: Also I'm aware I've probably repeated a lot of what other people have said. But these are just my views on it. :|

threetonesun    1,204

Isn't the point of buying a handheld gaming device to play on a portable, small screen?

Sometimes. But why not both. 

Kreuger    108

Nintendo has been repeatedly failing since the 64. But thats just my opinion.

Lord Method Man    1,612

Obviously, because your statement is otherwise complete and utter bullsh*t.

• Like 1

Lord Method Man    1,612

Could of been great, but a complete lack of software, advertising and promotion have left the Wii U where it is.

I know gamers who had no idea that the Wii U was released after it had been out for a month.

benthebear    315

Which is a good opinion to have if you ignore the successes of the Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, DS, 3DS, and Wii... 

REM2000    145

I actually love my WiiU, i like the dual screen and the controller is fine in my hands, i will agree the battery life on it is crap though.

The Miiverse isn't bad either, handy way of asking questions and viewing posts, i thought it was a good idea to integrate forums into the console. 

Personally i put this down to typical nintendo, release a console, wait a year for the games to pick up. I did the same with the 3DS, waited a year and then the games started flowing, the WiiU is starting to pickup with Mario 3D and then Mario Kart and Donkey Kong in early 2014. 

I by nintendo consoles for the first party stuff anyway, Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong and Metroid, the rest i buy on the Xbox/PS.

spacer    988

Just cut the loses and make a new system. I'm aware there are politics involved in this and yadda yadda, just make it happen.

Ditch motion/tablet/confusing controls, offer a decent online experience and spam 1st party titles at launch. Don't make it backwards compatible it will only impede progression. Don't do any stupid DRM fiasco's, don't do 'social media' integration, just make a simple system that turns on, plays games and can play games with friends at 1080P@60FPS. Don't add touch controls at all, don't add mandatory peripherals. Keep the UI simple, clean, fast and accessible.

Done. Instant Success.

Edit: Keep online free, even if it's not 'as good' (subjective) as the ms, sony online 'experience'.

These are my thoughts on the subject too. If Nintendo did this, I would buy it in a heart beat.

• Like 1

Lord Method Man    1,612

I dont see why the Wii U can't accomplish this.

- Pro controller support is becoming more common and even being added to games that didnt originially use it

- Motion/tablet controls are not mandatory

- Great first party titles are out with a bunch more coming in the next six months

- social media stuff can be disabled/ignored

- it can play games at 1080p60

- again, touch controls are not mandatory

- the UI is fine

- online is free

• Like 1

Aergan    622

I'd put forward to Nintendo the following:

• Create something that can output 1080p & 5.1/7.1 over HDMI
  • Create something that allows SD Cards
  • Create something that plays Blu-Ray, DVD, Audio CD
  • Create something that can handle ports of all proposed multi-platform games for Xbox One / PS4, using an X86 arch CPU platform with a GPU solution from AMD (for compatibility)
  • Create a controller that can cope with classic games and ports of 3D shooters
  • Create a classic controller peripheral - NES or SNES, I care not which but make it wireless
  • Use a 3DS et al as an additional controller
  • Offer Wii, SNES, NES, Gamecube games via online library and at reasonable prices
  • Sell it for less ?240
  • Profit

Lord Method Man    1,612

I'd put forward to Nintendo the following:

• Create something that can output 1080p & 5.1/7.1 over HDMI You mean like the Wii U?
  • Create something that allows SD Cards You mean like the Wii U?
  • Create something that plays Blu-Ray, DVD, Audio CD Supposedly Wii U could do this with a software update but it was kept out to keep licensing costs lower.
  • Create something that can handle ports of all proposed multi-platform games for Xbox One / PS4, using an X86 arch CPU platform with a GPU solution from AMD (for compatibility) Third party support will always be a problem no matter what Nintendo does
  • Create a controller that can cope with classic games and ports of 3D shooters You mean like the Wii U Pro Controller?
  • Create a classic controller peripheral - NES or SNES, I care not which but make it wireless There are third party Wii U controllers like this already
  • Use a 3DS et al as an additional controller Why not use the GamePad instead?
  • Offer Wii, SNES, NES, Gamecube games via online library and at reasonable prices You mean like what they are doing with Wii U?
  • Sell it for less ?240 Wii U is already cheaper than that.
  • Profit

• Like 2