Winamp shutting down on December 20, 2013

I still to this day use Winamp. It's running now playin' me choons.

I have never found anything that compares to its simplicity. I like the fact you just drag and drop onto the playlist editor the music you want to hear. With the main window in windowshade mode and the playlist the same, it take no screen space other than a little bit of tab bar of chrome. Awesome

RIP Winamp.

Then again, just because they stopped developing doesn't mean it stops working. All the upgrades since version 2 have been lipstick on a pig anyway.

I still to this day use Winamp. It's running now playin' me choons.

I have never found anything that compares to its simplicity. I like the fact you just drag and drop onto the playlist editor the music you want to hear. With the main window in windowshade mode and the playlist the same, it take no screen space other than a little bit of tab bar of chrome. Awesome

RIP Winamp.

Then again, just because they stopped developing doesn't mean it stops working. All the upgrades since version 2 have been lipstick on a pig anyway.

Exactly. Unless someone comes out with a new media format (which can probably be built as a plugin anyway), Winamp will still work just like it always has. It's not like anything has really changed in it in the last 10 years anyway.

• Like 2

sell the company, make it no profit community project, make it open source, but why shutting down ??

really for music playback, its still one of the favourite ..

shameful death.

• Like 2

sell the company, make it no profit community project, make it open source, but why shutting down ??

really for music playback, its still one of the favourite ..

shameful death.

I don't understand this either. Some companies  are just so dumb.

I don't understand this either. Some companies  are just so dumb.

in case of netscape, it made sense but cant understand winamp.. what's the reason behind it. it still has a lot if juice specially for music it really still on top.

• 4 weeks later...

It's weird how the main site doesn't seem to mention the shut down yet since it's the last day of it being up. :huh:

I'm taking it as a sign that the rumours about Winamp being bought may be true. I've gone and downloaded the installers though, just to be on the safe side. :laugh:

It's weird how the main site doesn't seem to mention the shut down yet since it's the last day of it being up. :huh:

Maybe the rumours are true and MS are buying Winamp. Start looking forward to Winamp 6.0 ModernUI edition.

also the warning still shows on this page

Winamp.com and associated web services will no longer be available past December 20, 2013. Additionally, Winamp Media players will no longer be available for download. Please download the latest version before that date. See release notes for latest improvements to this last release.
Thanks for supporting the Winamp community for over 15 years.

http://www.winamp.com/media-player/en

Although with that said I've just installed the Android version of the app, and if you go to the Winamp Store it says that it isn't available. So it doesn't look possible to upgrade to the pro version, even if you want to. :/

Maybe the rumours are true and MS are buying Winamp. Start looking forward to Winamp 6.0 ModernUI edition.

I'd give it a try!

Something in the back of my head has told me it won't be shut down today since the announcement.

You can't buy a pro license and they're not giving out a free pro license. I think it will stick around in some form.

I'm taking it as a sign that the rumours about Winamp being bought may be true. I've gone and downloaded the installers though, just to be on the safe side. :laugh:

Even if they were to shut down the site, third party sites would still have the installers just like with Netscape. Also, It would be good if the rumours were true. :)

That would be interesting, but since Microsoft already has a music app they will likely just integrate some of Winamp's features into it. 

Hello,

Although with that said I've just installed the Android version of the app, and if you go to the Winamp Store it says that it isn't available. So it doesn't look possible to upgrade to the pro version, even if you want to. :/

Works here :unsure: (Didnt buy anything just opened it)

I'm mobile, but here is what I get:

PX0rXt0.jpg

Edit: Here is the second screen after touching the only item available:

qZyvROX.jpg

After that, nothing.

Edit: Oh Tapatalk, how you frustrate me...that wasn't an edit but a second post. Grr...