Xbox One Damaged right out of the Box, Many pictures.

I just got off the phone with them, at first they tried to tell me scratches and blemishes ect are not covered under factory warranty and that I needed to go back to best buy.

I asked him if he ever bought anything from best buy and used the warranty and he said no?

I then told him when you turn in the faulty equipment and get your new console you have to buy a new warranty with the new console even though the new console comes free.

Then I continued to explain that I should not be receiving something brand new with scratches and dents, that is not new.

I told him I shouldn't buy something new and have to pay 90 bucks the next day on another warranty. I also said that it is not my fault or best buys so why do I need to involve them.

I asked to speak to a supervisor, he put me on a brief hold then came back and said the Sup was busy and that he told him to create a ticket to get me a new console under warranty. I asked him what timeline looking like and he said in GA, about 14 days and he doesn't know if it will be delayed due to the new release.

Alternatively I can have them charge my credit card 500 bucks and they will ship me a new one and when I ship mine back to them they will release the funds back to my cc.

I had to tell the guy that where I work I'm a manager and when a customer is not satisfied you have to make it right no matter what and that it was not best buys problem or mine. I told him he needed to fix this.

To me it did not seem they really wanted to fix the problem they just brushed me aside. What are everyone elses thought?

EDIT: I forgot to add the gentleman did apologize.

If you bought it from BestBuy then you have to return it there.  I don't know why you would have to pay for warranty if it was like that out of the box though the longer you wait the harder it'll be.  Speak with a manager.

snip

Sounds like a mess.

I've spoke with Amazon and Xbox today. Amazon were semi helpful but they don't have any Day One consoles in stock to replace mine with. They told me they'd be in touch or I can contact them next week to arrange a replacement.

Not happy with that I contacted Microsoft and it sounds like they're having some real problems with support levels. Chat waiting times were over an hour both times I spoke to them and call waiting times over 30 mins. Chat was much more helpful but unfortunately they're not allowed to process billing information. I've been escalated to an advanced replacement and will have a new Day One console inc Forza 5 within 3-5 days. Also been give the ok to use the current damaged console until the replacement arrives. I had to phone twice as the first agent hung up on me and the second agent wasn't able to do anything with the systems down. Chat was definitely more helpful so I'd advise people to use them if you want to get the ball rolling on returns.

Sounds like a mess.

I've spoke with Amazon and Xbox today. Amazon were semi helpful but they don't have any Day One consoles in stock to replace mine with. They told me they'd be in touch or I can contact them next week to arrange a replacement.

Not happy with that I contacted Microsoft and it sounds like they're having some real problems with support levels. Chat waiting times were over an hour both times I spoke to them and call waiting times over 30 mins. Chat was much more helpful but unfortunately they're not allowed to process billing information. I've been escalated to an advanced replacement and will have a new Day One console inc Forza 5 within 3-5 days. Also been give the ok to use the current damaged console until the replacement arrives. I had to phone twice as the first agent hung up on me and the second agent wasn't able to do anything with the systems down. Chat was definitely more helpful so I'd advise people to use them if you want to get the ball rolling on returns.

Yeah I had to wait 2 hours for a callback when I called they said wait times of 1hr 30 mins to 2 hrs 15 mins. I'm going to give it another go when I have time without the child so I can get a better result.

Make the manager aware of it ASAP - or else you'll end up outside of the return/exchange policy and will have to deal with sending it back to Microsoft your self or going through Geek Squad.

Source: Me - I used to work there, years ago.

Thanks for all the support, I will probably swap it for a new one at best buy when they get more in.

Where I work if the customer is not satisfied then a Manager needs to satisfy them. I'm going to contact Microsoft shortly. Just woke up.

I also noted someone said I stole my pictures, that article is linking my pictures, I have the original unedited ones on my PC.

Thing about the warranty though when you use it you have to buy a new one to cover the new hardware you get...

woah, surely that can't be right?

I mean, when a product is sold as new, where the consumer has the expectation that said product is going to be in pristine condition, then surely, if the product is not in satisfactory condition, the buyer has the right to a full replace(or full refund) with out using up any warranty claims...

I don't know much about this stuff, but it would seem to me completely outrageous if you couldn't just swap this scuffed up Xbox, for one that is in the expectated "new" condition.

I'm very confused here...

Why don't you just return it to Best Buy for an exchange? Unless Best Buy in your country is different than the US, which is always possible, you have anywhere between 15 and 60 days to return it for a full refund or exchange. The reason doesn't matter so it could be literally anything. Since this isn't a warranty exchange of any kind they would have to carry the warranty forward to the replacement.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/help-topics/return-exchange-policy/pcmcat260800050014.c?id=pcmcat260800050014

I definitely wouldn't bother with Microsoft at all. Any replacement from them would be a LOT slower than walking out of the store with a new one in 10 minutes after you walked in.

• Like 3

yeah but just returned the defective xbox without telling the masses about it are bad practices.

It's extremely unlikely Microsoft knew of the issues.  And if it's true that Foxconn workers were ######ing about with PS4's they could possibly be doing that with the Xbox One as well, that isn't Microsoft's fault.  They pay to get the device assembled and they are as much as a customer as you as they expect their hardware to be in good condition and working order.

Also, let's get one thing string, this is why I do not get Day 1 stuff, because whether you like or not, someone is going to get a defective console, this has happened with previous generations and will happen with future generations, that's how unfortunate things are.

:(

woah, surely that can't be right?

I mean, when a product is sold as new, where the consumer has the expectation that said product is going to be in pristine condition, then surely, if the product is not in satisfactory condition, the buyer has the right to a full replace(or full refund) with out using up any warranty claims...

I don't know much about this stuff, but it would seem to me completely outrageous if you couldn't just swap this scuffed up Xbox, for one that is in the expectated "new" condition.

It's right. I bought a BestBuy warranty on my TV. Returned it and they told me if I wanted the warranty again, I'd have to buy it. It's more a one time use warranty exchange.

It's right. I bought a BestBuy warranty on my TV. Returned it and they told me if I wanted the warranty again, I'd have to buy it. It's more a one time use warranty exchange.

But aren't their certain standards that are covered without having to buy a spereate warranty?

But aren't their certain standards that are covered without having to buy a spereate warranty?

What do you mean? There's a 1 year manufacture warranty, and Geek Squad will come out 3 times to try fixing the issue, if it doesn't fix the issue you use your warranty from BestBuy.

So... That scratch was bugging the hell out of me, so I just ordered a replacement.

Dear Mr Awesome,

This message confirms your order for a replacement Xbox One console. Under the terms of the program, we will send you a replacement console within the next two (2) business days.

You should receive a follow-up email when your replacement console has been shipped from our facility.

Next steps
Here's what happens next:

• We'll ship a replacement console to you: A Microsoft-Certified replacement console will be shipped to you from our service center.

Note A hold will be applied to your credit card in the amount of ?326.00 (plus applicable taxes) will be applied. This hold is NOT a charge against your credit card. However, it may affect your credit card balance until we remove the hold. Your credit card will not be charged, and the hold will be removed provided that you return your original, qualified device with serial number 123456789 within 14 days of the date you receive the replacement device.

If we don't receive the original device back within 14 days of the date that you receive the replacement device, or if the device that you return to us within 14 days has been determined to have been either modified or no longer covered under the terms of the warranty, your credit card will be charged a replacement and handling fee of ?326.00 (plus applicable taxes).

• You'll ship your non-working console to us: After you've received and tested your replacement console, use the same box and the included shipping label the replacement console came in to send your non-working console back to us. (For drop-off locations, see www.ups.com.)
    • To prepare your non-working console for shipping, disconnect the power supply and accessories and remove any discs before packing. Be sure that you also disconnect your Kinect sensor.

DO NOT include any accessories with your non-working console.

• Make sure the non-working console fits snugly in the box, to reduce the risk of shipping damage.
  • After you drop off your non-working console for shipping, keep your shipping receipt and make sure that you're given a tracking number for your package.

Terms and conditions

Modifying of the item disqualifies it for service. If our service facility detects signs of tampering or modification (including, but not limited to, opening or attempting to pry open the outer case of the item, unauthorized service to the item, damage not covered under the terms of our warranty, or removal of the serial number stickers), we will retain the item and your credit card will be charged accordingly.

We look forward to seeing you back in the game!

Thank you,

The Xbox Support Team

Contact Us

I was only looking to buy a second PSU, so that it's less hassle when moving the console between locations, which lead me to https://myservice.xbox.com/en-US/Pages/Welcome.aspx

Hoping I don't regret it :unsure:

I know it's bought new and should be flawless, but are you serious?!?

You're bothered about tiny scratches UNDER and BEHIND the console? The console only officially supports horizontal placement, so it will never be visible.

Be grateful that you don't have to wait 2-5(maybe more) months like us in Europe.

You're bothered about tiny scratches UNDER and BEHIND the console? The console only officially supports horizontal placement, so it will never be visible.

Be grateful that you don't have to wait 2-5(maybe more) months like us in Europe.

Tiny? Under? Behind? Where the hell are you getting that info from?

It's bang in the middle of the top shiny bit. There are also lots of others signs of poor handling.

In this case, I wouldn't mind waiting that long, as the console is fully functional, but yeah, I would be grateful for the quick replacement, if it was totally busted.

It wasn't that big of a deal, but it was bugging me, and it did put a dampener on my Day One experience.

So when I happened upon that replacement service, I did stop to think, is it worth it?

But it's fast, free and justified, so... stop hating because your situation sucks, it's not my fault.

• Like 1

Scratches, hidden or not, is not the point.  You page $500 for something, it shouldnt have any defects.  Its the principle.

• Like 3

Post it on Reddit. the Twitter link to major nelson.

Did you mean... Post it on Reddit, and then tweet the link to Major Nelson?

Surely he'd just point you in the right direction, if you get a response at all.

What? Most stores in the US have a 30 day refund guarantee (some places even more). If you return it they should give you a new one with the warranty still intact, unless they refund the warranty too and then you would obviously have to buy it again.

I'm seeing this more and more often with new laptops coming in straight from the MFG. I opened up a Dell Latitude E6430 box the other day, $1900 laptop, with random scuffs all over the top and on the bottom. It looked like it had been refurbished, but the rest of the parts were brand new

If you call Microsoft they won't send you a new one, they'll send you a refurb I'm sure. Just exchange it at BBY, the MGR should be able to hold one on an incoming truck and not have to worry about the amount of days.

Did you call Dell? My old laptop from dell came with a scratch on the monitor cover on it, called them up and talked to just 1 person and said this was unacceptable and I wanted Dell to completely replace it and not send out a tech to just "replace the cover." He didn't argue with me and told me he'd get the order placed. 5 days later new one arrived and I sent the old one back.

No hassle. Dell's basic customer support is arguably bad, but their business, enterprise and premium support (Latitude, XPS, Alienware etc) is usually fantastic. I've never had to argue with anyone or fight with them to get something replaced.

---

On a slightly unrelated note...I love my American Express. If a store refuses to accept a refund / return, all I have to do is call them up and they'll refund the charges for me and handle the rest. Granted most credit cards have this feature too (you can dispute the charge) but Amex is usually just easier to deal with.

OP if Best Buy is refusing to accept the return and you bought it on a credit card, call your bank up (or do it online) and dispute the charge. Tell them that you bought the console, and it came damaged and Best Buy is refusing to honor their refund policy and you're quite upset. DOCUMENT everything. So write Best Buy a letter, sign and date it with a copy of your receipt. Then make a copy of it and send it to your Bank (you have 60 days from the date of the purchase to do this). More often than not the bank will help you out and once they get involved Best Buy will quickly do a refund since they'd rather not fight with a bank that would end up costing them a lot more.

Some of the bigger banks may also issue you a temporary refund while they process everything.

What? Most stores in the US have a 30 day refund guarantee (some places even more). If you return it they should give you a new one with the warranty still intact, unless they refund the warranty too and then you would obviously have to buy it again.

Best Buy's is 15 day return policy, since they offer to price match more online retailers. Also, if Best Buy or BestBuy.com has a sale on the item you purchased (excluding Black Friday through Cyber Monday), you can get reimbursed for the difference.

However, I believe purchases made between November 3rd through December 31st will be applicable to the holiday return policy, which is currently in effect for applicable items. Basically, instead of the 15 days you'd normally have, you should have until January 15th, 2014 to return the item. They're taking into account that many people won't be opening their gifts until Christmas day.