The Neowin Digital Photo Gallery

Not seeing a pic Kerm.

People have to start posting the gear they use. It's irritating seeing a nice picture and having to ask what gear was used.

Well, I got my Nikon D70 a few weeks ago, and these are probably my favourite shots so far. They were all taken with the 18-70mm kit lens. Shot in JPG, because I don't like the idea of having to post-process every image I get out of my camera, even if it's just leaving it alone to batch process them.

I couldn't believe how well this picture turned out - it's almost a 100% crop.

This photo was taken with a bird behind me, and my cat was "growling" at it. Could've maybe used a greater depth of field, but I can't believe how sharp this shot is. Slightly blown out highlight on the fur, but I don't think it detracts from the image.

I was out one night taking shots of the moon, and just before I came in, I took this shot, not expecting anything, just taking it because I could. (don't you just love digital?)

Wish I had checked it before I went in because I would have loved to get a full shot instead of just the roof. The colours are exactly as I saw them that night.

Unfortunately the sky looks a bit posterized thanks to the extra jpeg compression for the web.

585980733[/snapback]

Welcome to the wonderful world of Nikon D70. :) I had the same reaction when I first started taking pics with my D70.

Hoping to upgrade to a D70 when I can afford it. For now, I just play around with my little coolpix 2100. Fun camera, but I use my N65 for the better pictures.

Taken with the 2100:

sculpturegardens7uf.jpg

I have a powershot a60, I love taking pics, editing and etc.. but I never really go anywhere, so I can't really do much photography, plus the camera kinda sucks, I usually just take macroshots of flowers, and see how they come out, I still don't understand the manual settings, and yeah ok im done..

Quite proud of this one. Im finally starting to get to grips with my camera.

15515550686.jpg

586020990[/snapback]

*Edit*

small5ve.th.jpg

NB - Camera is a Canon Powershot A85.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Nikon D70. :) I had the same reaction when I first started taking pics with my D70.

586021175[/snapback]

I currently borrow (on some weekends) a Nikon D70 from where I work. Sadly i'm nowhere near being able to afford to buy my own.. nor am I anywhere near skilled enough to understand all the techniques required to get the best out of it! But it is a phenominal camera and it does take spectacular photo's.. but i've found my friends Canon EOS 300D to be equally impressive.. and thats quite a lot cheaper!

Does anyone have any links to a good online guide to help me out with exposure times and all the other stuff on the D70 to help me get the most out of it? I feel like I have in my hands a 50 function swiss army knife, but am currently only able to get out the toothpick.

Edited by Chicane-UK

I currently borrow (on some weekends) a Nikon D70 from where I work. Sadly i'm nowhere near being able to afford to buy my own.. nor am I anywhere near skilled enough to understand all the techniques required to get the best out of it! But it is a phenominal camera and it does take spectacular photo's.. but i've found my friends Canon EOS 300D to be equally impressive.. and thats quite a lot cheaper!

Does anyone have any links to a good online guide to help me out with exposure times and all the other stuff on the D70 to help me get the most out of it? I feel like I have in my hands a 50 function swiss army knife, but am currently only able to get out the toothpick.

586023143[/snapback]

Well I had a Coolpix 5400 before getting a D70 so I knew some minor little manual settings here and there. I never really got too much into it until I got the D70. I learned almost everything I know about cameras just by playing around with it and experimenting. Dont be afraid to experiment. Its a digital camera, you waste no money by playing around with it. There are times I needed to search online though for some answers. Use google for questions like what apeture is, and what ISO levels are. Theres tons of sites out there that if you put them all together, you get a lot of knowledge of how things work.

Well I had a Coolpix 5400 before getting a D70 so I knew some minor little manual settings here and there. I never really got too much into it until I got the D70. I learned almost everything I know about cameras just by playing around with it and experimenting. Dont be afraid to experiment. Its a digital camera, you waste no money by playing around with it. There are times I needed to search online though for some answers. Use google for questions like what apeture is, and what ISO levels are. Theres tons of sites out there that if you put them all together, you get a lot of knowledge of how things work.

586026438[/snapback]

Yeah, experimentation helps. Also, getting your hands on an all manual camera, if possible (I had an old Nikon FG for a while) teaches you a lot about what needs to be set where to achieve a specific effect, as well as how to work exposure times and f-stops/aperature settings. If not, hit up Google and try to find some articles.

Here are some shots from my garden, they may not be very interesting to some people but i like them, and they have been helping me get the hang of my camera.

picture0344vu.th.jpg picture0330yo.th.jpg picture0354tz.th.jpg picture0303yw.th.jpg

picture0429wg.th.jpg picture0411gi.th.jpg picture0382bo.th.jpg picture0392mu.th.jpg

picture0480pf.th.jpg picture0517gj.th.jpg picture0467px.th.jpg

Please comment if you have any tips or anything to say really, except 'choose something other than plants to photo'. Thanks alot.

:D

Strange time to read this thread considering i've just been doing that very thing in Photoshop.

All I do is select around everything I don't want to be in colour using the selection tool in Photoshop, and then just desaturate those areas. Job done.

Quick example:

SciroccoStorm.jpg

586020649[/snapback]

its actually quite easy with photoshop, just switch to CMYK image mode (IMPORTANT!!), then select whatever you want to color (i use the polygonal lasso tool), make it a quickmask and apply a very light gaussian blur to smooth your edges a bit, then un-quickmask it.  then go image>adjustment>curves and modify the line to create the color you want.

quite simple, just save each of your selections so you can go back and change the color again if you dislike it later

586020672[/snapback]

wow you both do alot of work for that.

MMike6: You should photoshop out the lamp post in the pic of the victoria building, it's a very nice shot.

586046073[/snapback]

didnt thought about that yet but ill try. im not really a pro at photoshoppin :laugh:

mmike