Bought a Nexus 5

I was kinda curious about it so, I figured F* it and bought the 16GB and I'm loving it so far, I let my friend use my S3 since he shattered the screen on his.

Crap just realized I put this in tech support...can a mod move it pls?

I got a nexus 5 a few weeks ago as well, and so far I'm loving it.  Mostly because I can unlock it and fix issues that annoy me by myself, like that 0/99 LTE bug that loves to pop up at times.

Yea Nexus devices are great, I just wish it was a larger screen (I enjoy my 5.5+ screens).

I like the non carrier bloat mostly and it's faster then the S3, I know some people on Amazon and phone arena when I was researching it a bit before I bought it said the stand by life is bad, It's been pretty good actually.

I got a nexus 5 a few weeks ago as well, and so far I'm loving it.  Mostly because I can unlock it and fix issues that annoy me by myself, like that 0/99 LTE bug that loves to pop up at times.

I was thinking about rooting mine but not sure atm

I got mine a while ago. The only complaint is the battery, but I got myself a portable USB battery when I need that extra charge on the go. The phone is fast, the screen is nice, and you can't beat the price!

I have switched to Nexus 5 because of the cheap cost buying from google.

I had HTC One before that.

I love my phone and android is super intuitive.    however, i have never missed so many messages (sms, viber, bbm, line, whatsup and others) and even calls.

The stock android is great for many things, but there are NO stock ring tones that are worthwhile... I cannot hear any of them.

DAMN.     Samsung and HTC had way better ones, but now I know they where proprietary.

i am always curious about people wanting/wishing to root a nexus device. What does it NOT do that you wish it to do?

Go for it man, it's easy as hell to unlock and root, and google won't void your warranty for doing so either, they're very good about it.

i am always curious about people wanting/wishing to root a nexus device. What does it NOT do that you wish it to do?

For a multitude of reasons, installing custom ROMs, running apps that require root, greater flexibility in settings etc you can even install custom radios on many devices that might give you better wifi and LTE speeds etc, the list is endless on what you can do when rooted.

I unlock because I compile my own ROM based on CyanogenMod, I have a lot of added things that stock doesn't have, and I love having the flexibility to fix bugs and add things I might like in near real time.

How much it cost you? Google won't direct sell it to my county, we have to buy it from an operator and it costs more than the double :/

Its incredible bad.

Yea Nexus devices are great, I just wish it was a larger screen (I enjoy my 5.5+ screens).

Carry a Nexus 7 then.

What LTE bug?

Elaborate please!

When in a low signal LTE area, you will sometimes see 0 bars, the phone will report the signal as 0DBm/99ASU which is Android's way of saying I have no clue wtf kind of signal I have.  This was fixed in CyanogenMod back on Android 4.2.2 and the change was submitted to AOSP, but google has yet to merge it hence why nexus phones still have the issue.

Anyway, here's the code fix:

https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_frameworks_base/commit/4b5a9351023125ee664c585786a3511e4a91c311

I know I find having a white option for it when it's not technically "white" only the back is.

I have switched to Nexus 5 because of the cheap cost buying from google.

I had HTC One before that.

I love my phone and android is super intuitive.    however, i have never missed so many messages (sms, viber, bbm, line, whatsup and others) and even calls.

The stock android is great for many things, but there are NO stock ring tones that are worthwhile... I cannot hear any of them.

DAMN.     Samsung and HTC had way better ones, but now I know they where proprietary.

If you look up S3 and S4 ringtones you can always add them. Only thing I'm trying to get is the alarm clock tone changed to a mp3 I've used since my Cliq 2 days(had a thread about it a while back, it would die faster then a black guy in a horror movie). couldn't root that after I updated it to GB 2.36 >_<

Go for it man, it's easy as hell to unlock and root, and google won't void your warranty for doing so either, they're very good about it.

I'll look around XDA. I could've sworn there was something about side options panel like the Motorola Photon Q LTE had, unless I was dreaming...If that wasn't locked to Sprint and could get it straight from Motorola to use on AT&T. Is there a root for 4.4.2? I just wonder if it would keep me from getting OTA updates from Google.

For a multitude of reasons, installing custom ROMs, running apps that require root, greater flexibility in settings etc you can even install custom radios on many devices that might give you better wifi and LTE speeds etc, the list is endless on what you can do when rooted.

Exactly.

I unlock because I compile my own ROM based on CyanogenMod, I have a lot of added things that stock doesn't have, and I love having the flexibility to fix bugs and add things I might like in near real time.

I've tried that on my S3 didn't stay long though. How is MIUI? idk if you've tried it at all.

How much it cost you? Google won't direct sell it to my county, we have to buy it from an operator and it costs more than the double :/

Its incredible bad.

386 for the 16GB some odd change that included tax and shipping. Must suck you gotta get it through a carrier. 

386 for the 16GB some odd change that included tax and shipping. Must suck you gotta get it through a carrier. 

it costs a little more then 500 grand because LG made a deal with Google so their G2 phone could sell more than Google's (G2 is a little cheaper but only one carrier sells it).

When in a low signal LTE area, you will sometimes see 0 bars, the phone will report the signal as 0DBm/99ASU which is Android's way of saying I have no clue wtf kind of signal I have.  This was fixed in CyanogenMod back on Android 4.2.2 and the change was submitted to AOSP, but google has yet to merge it hence why nexus phones still have the issue.

Anyway, here's the code fix:

https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_frameworks_base/commit/4b5a9351023125ee664c585786a3511e4a91c311

Ahhh nice, I thought ever since I got a 4G enabled service I have noticed a large battery decrease and thought what you said might be it. I have about half bars and no 0/99 so I think I'm safe there. I need to check if I still happens if I swap to HSDPA

How is the battery life on the Nexus 5? I have a Nexus 4 and the battery life is not very good.

It's not bad at all. I read that it wasn't all that great on Phone arena and Amazon, but I really don't have to charge it much at all and I use all the time. If you shut down and turn off the apps that you don't use period, it helps with idle time when you don't use it. It charges way faster then ANY android phone I've had. The day before yesterday I was at a friends for game night and for the 2 days I was there Saturday to Monday when I got home I had to charge it around 2 pm and I left his house around 830am. My S3 I would charge it more frequently.

what would these ROMs specifically do better? and when you say better speeds, are we talking double? triple? maybe only 10%?

added what? examples? (as i said earlier, super curious)

Titanium Backup, Lightflow, Xposed, overclocking, undervolting, dpi change... Just to name a few off the top of my head. That and I just like having root access to my devices, so why not? It's not in the slightest bit difficult to root.

TCA: Root MAY have affect on your OTA updates. I feel like my co-worker with an N5 said he got his OTA with root after disabling Xposed and still leaving it rooted. I know I had trouble because I had modified my build.prop to change my DPI and it didn't like it, so modifications to files in /system can cause it not to update, but you could always just download the update from XDA.

I was running stock for a while, then went CM, then decided I was fed up and done with CM, but instead of going back to stock, I'm on Cataclysm now.

Titanium Backup, Lightflow, Xposed, overclocking, undervolting, dpi change... Just to name a few off the top of my head. That and I just like having root access to my devices, so why not? It's not in the slightest bit difficult to root.

TCA: Root MAY have affect on your OTA updates. I feel like my co-worker with an N5 said he got his OTA with root after disabling Xposed and still leaving it rooted. I know I had trouble because I had modified my build.prop to change my DPI and it didn't like it, so modifications to files in /system can cause it not to update, but you could always just download the update from XDA.

I was running stock for a while, then went CM, then decided I was fed up and done with CM, but instead of going back to stock, I'm on Cataclysm now.

1) i still don't see what these programs do that other apps just can't (or at least 99% of the app),

2) over clocking a phone? you sure you want to do that?

3) dpi change? don't you think the company already gave you the best it could be? if it could be any better, why would they not give that to you?

by all means, its every persons own choice, but i think the "choice" to root a nexus device comes down to just more of a "because you can" outlook. 

I've had my iPhone 4s for a few years now (I passed up my last upgrade for a sim only contract to make it cheaper until something cheaper came out) - my contract ends this April and I am definitely looking forward to upgrading to the Nexus 5