This is why I use Google instead of Bing

Why use either when there's Wolfram Alpha?

Because you're usually searching for something, and this makes you not have to leave the site.

Agreed on Google lagging behind in the International support. Almost no interactivity for other countries.

Heh, no. I have some gold that I want to sell. Buyers are quoting prices in grams. :)

For gold (and other precious metals), 28.3495 grams is not correct, You need Troy Oz. not regular Oz. and it's 31.1034768 grams

• Like 2

Google's unit conversion is insanely smart and can do quite complex (and ridiculous) stuff. Bing's is OK if you use the US version but is horrible otherwise.

Bing has been copying a LOT from Google the past year. If you search "Moviename cast" you always got a nice big cast list on Google, Bing only recently started doing the same.

Difference is that Google actually does that worldwide and not just for the US. Something Microsoft still hasn't managed to do. You have no idea how horrible Bing is in Belgium. I've never ever seen anyone use it.

For gold (and other precious metals), 28.3495 grams is not correct, You need Troy Oz. not regular Oz. and it's 31.1034768 grams

Thanks. Didn't know that.

You'll see the line in Bing if you set it to US English.

I'm sure the feature *used* to be in UK Bing or perhaps when it was still Live Search.

It's Canada.  There's nothing there anyways!

Yeah you are right, there is nothing here... no tornados, no hurricanes, no earthquakes, and no jets flying in to buildings. USA, what an awesome place. :rolleyes:

Google's unit conversion is insanely smart and can do quite complex (and ridiculous) stuff. Bing's is OK if you use the US version but is horrible otherwise.

Bing has been copying a LOT from Google the past year. If you search "Moviename cast" you always got a nice big cast list on Google, Bing only recently started doing the same.

Difference is that Google actually does that worldwide and not just for the US. Something Microsoft still hasn't managed to do. You have no idea how horrible Bing is in Belgium. I've never ever seen anyone use it.

I am fairly certain Google has copied a lot from bing too but let's not derail this thread.

"I'd wish people would stop posting US version screenshots and boasting about it."

Yeah, I get so jealous when I see that "Any time" dropdown that only the US has, for some inexplicable reason.  I mean, how hard can it be to let the rest of us search by date?  If/when I have that capability, I can finally remove the last shred of Google from my otherwise pristine Surface Pro 2. I WANT IT AND I WANT IT NOW, DAMMIT.

I've always been a fan of Google's built-in stuff like that.  You can type in math problems, unit conversions, etc. and most of the time it'll put a little calculator or something right at the top of your search results.  I haven't used Bing primarily in a while.  I tried it for a few months and it wasn't that the search engine was particularly bad, it gave me results that were relevant to the terms I entered, it's just that I hardly ever got the exact page or result I was looking for.  A lot of my searches are for things I've seen before, and I'm just trying to track down that particular page again, and Google seems to work better for me in that regard.

Just out of curiosity I did a search on 5 search engines, and here's the results I got.

Google

post-125978-0-53295100-1390522042.png

Bing

post-125978-0-58671400-1390522043.png

DuckDuckGo

post-125978-0-73965300-1390522044.png

Ask (It re-phrased my search entry for me, I entered the same text as the other search engines)

post-125978-0-19403300-1390522046.png

Yahoo

post-125978-0-97440100-1390522146.png

Works correctly for me. I can also type in something simple like "32g to ounces" and it gives me the answer.

I can also get two conversions in one search, like "150g to ounces and carats" and it gives me both answers. Google didn't do that when I tried.

Although I do like Google's interactive result layout.

I asked Bing how many grams in an ounce and got the big 1 ounce = 28.3495231 grams.  How much grams?  I think the correct word is many, bro.

May I just say that correct English should read: "How many grams are there in an ounce"

Note: Grams/Grammes - the world has adopted "Grams"

Why write proper English at all? Might as well shortcut to this:

ounce to grams

or

ounce

;-)

• Like 1

Perhaps bing simply refused to deal with your poor grammar.

One more reason Google is better. :)

It gets the gist of the question.

I must be having my own special version of bing

trying inputting the search "how many grams in 2 ounces" and you will see what he was meaning...

I'm not sure what I'm looking at in both those pictures lol. Apart from Google showing 2 lakes that Bing doesn't show, everything else looks the same.

trying inputting the search "how many grams in 2 ounces" and you will see what he was meaning...

It works fine for me too.  He must have another bing.

Accesing it in Canada.  Don't see any visual 1 g = x Oz  all I get are search results.

I get the actual calculator from Alberta location