• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

This is why I use Google instead of Bing

Question

Ice_Blue    983

Google: Concise results.

Bing:... well...

post-280342-0-82562000-1390506682.png

post-280342-0-82565700-1390506695.png

• Like 6

ThreadAbort    77

It works fine for me too.  He must have another bing.

Malisk    142

Why use either when there's Wolfram Alpha?

Because you're usually searching for something, and this makes you not have to leave the site.

Agreed on Google lagging behind in the International support. Almost no interactivity for other countries.

firey    4,153

Accesing it in Canada.  Don't see any visual 1 g = x Oz  all I get are search results.

Lion and Lamb Ministry    5

I must be having my own special version of bing

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

attachicon.gifCapture2.JPG

less typing too?

YEP, I get the same thing. Bing is excellent!

Win4Ever    35

Heh, no. I have some gold that I want to sell. Buyers are quoting prices in grams. :)

For gold (and other precious metals), 28.3495 grams is not correct, You need Troy Oz. not regular Oz. and it's 31.1034768 grams

• Like 2

Ambroos    801

Google's unit conversion is insanely smart and can do quite complex (and ridiculous) stuff. Bing's is OK if you use the US version but is horrible otherwise.

Bing has been copying a LOT from Google the past year. If you search "Moviename cast" you always got a nice big cast list on Google, Bing only recently started doing the same.

Difference is that Google actually does that worldwide and not just for the US. Something Microsoft still hasn't managed to do. You have no idea how horrible Bing is in Belgium. I've never ever seen anyone use it.

Eric    1,605

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

attachicon.gifCapture2.JPG

less typing too?

Got the same results with "grams per ounce." I think this is more about how to do research than the results.

firey    4,153

YEP, I get the same thing. Bing is excellent!

... if you live in the states.

• Like 3

Ice_Blue    983

For gold (and other precious metals), 28.3495 grams is not correct, You need Troy Oz. not regular Oz. and it's 31.1034768 grams

Thanks. Didn't know that.

+DonC    649

You'll see the line in Bing if you set it to US English.

I'm sure the feature *used* to be in UK Bing or perhaps when it was still Live Search.

LUTZIFER    473

It's Canada.  There's nothing there anyways!

Yeah you are right, there is nothing here... no tornados, no hurricanes, no earthquakes, and no jets flying in to buildings. USA, what an awesome place. :rolleyes:

BajiRav    2,137

Google's unit conversion is insanely smart and can do quite complex (and ridiculous) stuff. Bing's is OK if you use the US version but is horrible otherwise.

Bing has been copying a LOT from Google the past year. If you search "Moviename cast" you always got a nice big cast list on Google, Bing only recently started doing the same.

Difference is that Google actually does that worldwide and not just for the US. Something Microsoft still hasn't managed to do. You have no idea how horrible Bing is in Belgium. I've never ever seen anyone use it.

I am fairly certain Google has copied a lot from bing too but let's not derail this thread.

Otto Gunter    160

"I'd wish people would stop posting US version screenshots and boasting about it."

Yeah, I get so jealous when I see that "Any time" dropdown that only the US has, for some inexplicable reason.  I mean, how hard can it be to let the rest of us search by date?  If/when I have that capability, I can finally remove the last shred of Google from my otherwise pristine Surface Pro 2. I WANT IT AND I WANT IT NOW, DAMMIT.

Gerowen    1,244

I've always been a fan of Google's built-in stuff like that.  You can type in math problems, unit conversions, etc. and most of the time it'll put a little calculator or something right at the top of your search results.  I haven't used Bing primarily in a while.  I tried it for a few months and it wasn't that the search engine was particularly bad, it gave me results that were relevant to the terms I entered, it's just that I hardly ever got the exact page or result I was looking for.  A lot of my searches are for things I've seen before, and I'm just trying to track down that particular page again, and Google seems to work better for me in that regard.

Just out of curiosity I did a search on 5 search engines, and here's the results I got.

Google

post-125978-0-53295100-1390522042.png

Bing

post-125978-0-58671400-1390522043.png

DuckDuckGo

post-125978-0-73965300-1390522044.png

Ask (It re-phrased my search entry for me, I entered the same text as the other search engines)

post-125978-0-19403300-1390522046.png

Yahoo

post-125978-0-97440100-1390522146.png

• Like 1

McKay    3,696

Bing UK doesn't turn back a direct conversion. Bing US does.

123456789A    4,710

Works correctly for me. I can also type in something simple like "32g to ounces" and it gives me the answer.

I can also get two conversions in one search, like "150g to ounces and carats" and it gives me both answers. Google didn't do that when I tried.

Although I do like Google's interactive result layout.

+devHead    2,098

I asked Bing how many grams in an ounce and got the big 1 ounce = 28.3495231 grams.  How much grams?  I think the correct word is many, bro.

+Code Name: Lockdown    9,299

May I just say that correct English should read: "How many grams are there in an ounce"

Note: Grams/Grammes - the world has adopted "Grams"

snaphat (Myles Landwehr)    414

May I just say that correct English should read: "How many grams are there in an ounce"

Note: Grams/Grammes - the world has adopted "Grams"

Why write proper English at all? Might as well shortcut to this:

ounce to grams

or

ounce

;-)

• Like 1

123456789A    4,710

Why write proper English at all? Might as well shortcut to this:

Even "oz to g" works.

• Like 1

Shiranui    1,920

Perhaps bing simply refused to deal with your poor grammar.

• Like 6

notchinese    311

Conclusion: 'Murica.

• Like 1

Ice_Blue    983

Perhaps bing simply refused to deal with your poor grammar.

One more reason Google is better. :)

It gets the gist of the question.

• Like 1

Rippleman    3,851

trying inputting the search "how many grams in 2 ounces" and you will see what he was meaning...

I'm not sure what I'm looking at in both those pictures lol. Apart from Google showing 2 lakes that Bing doesn't show, everything else looks the same.

trying inputting the search "how many grams in 2 ounces" and you will see what he was meaning...

It works fine for me too.  He must have another bing.

Accesing it in Canada.  Don't see any visual 1 g = x Oz  all I get are search results.

I get the actual calculator from Alberta location

oceanseleven    20

In my opinion, a dynamic calculator at the top of the first page of your search results is not the reason someone would choose Google over Bing.  If it is, I would like to know how many times per day you need to do a calculation.  If it's a lot, then why aren't you using a calculator application.  If it's not something you do often, does it really matter that you would have had one extra click to get to a dynamic calculator with Bing.

I could do a side by side of search results for a video and Bing will have actual videos embedded at the top of the page, Google just provides links.  Maybe that is the reason why I choose Bing.  Or maybe it's because I actually get paid for searching with Bing Rewards and Google doesn't give me anything.  Really it is just a personal preference and if you do a search with either one, the results are going to be similar.