PS4 and Xbox One resolution / frame rate discussion

It wasn't his point, it's the title of Polygon's article. Take it up with them ;)

That's true. Its still just bait, regardless of the source.

Regarding polygon, few people around here like them, and anyone that likes the ps4 is especially upset with them.

thanks for leaving out the part that he writes reviews for a gaming site, and the person he is having a conversation with who shares that the ps4 version has framerae issues is actually a writer for joystiq. ive also played the 6 hours granted to me by ea access of madden 15,and I didn't perceive any such issues. you're free to share your experience with us if you have the chance to play the game.

Anyone can write reviews and submit them to a gaming site, not sure how that justifies using twitter conversations between random people as valid sources. I personally don't have any interest in Madden so don't intend on owning it but its a sports game and every sports game on PS4 and Xbox One should run at 1080p/60fps with ease. Maybe wait for one of the gaming sites to do a frame rate comparison instead of jumping the gun.

It would be nice if it did do better on the Xbox One which would make this the first multiplatform game to do so, but it seems unlikely

Anyone can write reviews and submit them to a gaming site, not sure how that justifies using twitter conversations between random people as valid sources. I personally don't have any interest in Madden so don't intend on owning it but its a sports game and every sports game on PS4 and Xbox One should run at 1080p/60fps with ease. Maybe wait for one of the gaming sites to do a frame rate comparison instead of jumping the gun.

I told you its from a writer for joystiq. its also up on joystiqs site

Finally, while Madden 15 plays splendidly most of the time, it does cope with some noticeable problems. Online matches have been pain-free so far, but I've encountered significant frame rate issues in single-player Madden Ultimate Team games, offline exhibition matches and Skills Trainer.

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/08/28/madden-nfl-15-review-getting-defensive/

It would be nice if it did do better on the Xbox One which would make this the first multiplatform game to do so, but it seems unlikely

not true

Across different arenas using various combatants, we still see some minor frame-rate drops on PS4 and a few regularly torn frames (limited to the top 10 per cent of the screen, so mostly unnoticeable). The situation has little impact on how the game plays, but the dropped frames do lead to some short but noticeable stutters during both gameplay and cut-scenes on Sony's system. The Xbox One game delivers a clean 30fps presentation without these mild inconsistencies, which makes the experience feel a little more refined where performance is concerned.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-ea-sports-ufc-face-off

There is plenty of difference. 40 odd percent of difference

I told you its from a writer for joystiq. its also up on joystiqs site

not true

Shock horror..a EA game that runs slightly better on the Xbox. Would have thunk it? Its plainly obvious that EA have sided with MS this generation, so comes as no surprise that their games are either equal or slightly better now

Obvious in the fact that there is virtually no difference between the PS4 and the Xbox One, even though the PS4 is 1080p, compared to the Xboxes 900p.

Moving onto performance, the PS4 puts in a superb effort, offering up a practically locked 60fps experience that hardly ever deviates from its intended target. The action remains solidly v-synced, so we never see any tearing, while interruptions in smoothness are kept to a minimum. Hectic scenes that see copious amounts of particle and lighting effects thrown around the environments sometimes cause rare interruptions in fluidity, but as we're only looking at one or two frame drops at most, these mild dips in performance go by mostly undetected.

Indeed, despite pushing 44 per cent more pixels on-screen, the experience on PS4 is more consistent than on the Xbox One when the engine is under stress. When all hell breaks loose we see a heavier drop in performance on Xbox One, while the PS4 usually maintains its solid 60fps lock without any fuss. In these scenes Garden Warfare displays an extra layer of fluidity on the Sony console - although we should point out that the core gameplay never feels compromised on the Xbox One. PS4 simply offers a slightly more refined version of the same experience.

Obvious in the fact that there is virtually no difference between the PS4 and the Xbox One, even though the PS4 is 1080p, compared to the Xboxes 900p.

Moving onto performance, the PS4 puts in a superb effort, offering up a practically locked 60fps experience that hardly ever deviates from its intended target. The action remains solidly v-synced, so we never see any tearing, while interruptions in smoothness are kept to a minimum. Hectic scenes that see copious amounts of particle and lighting effects thrown around the environments sometimes cause rare interruptions in fluidity, but as we're only looking at one or two frame drops at most, these mild dips in performance go by mostly undetected.

Indeed, despite pushing 44 per cent more pixels on-screen, the experience on PS4 is more consistent than on the Xbox One when the engine is under stress. When all hell breaks loose we see a heavier drop in performance on Xbox One, while the PS4 usually maintains its solid 60fps lock without any fuss. In these scenes Garden Warfare displays an extra layer of fluidity on the Sony console - although we should point out that the core gameplay never feels compromised on the Xbox One. PS4 simply offers a slightly more refined version of the same experience.

The extra 44 percent of resolution over the Xbox One version certainly wins the numbers game, but the reality presents us with a slightly different picture. The PS4 game appears slightly more refined when closely scrutinising still images, but in motion the use of anti-aliasing and the game's distinct art style helps to reduce upscale artefacts on the Xbox One, thus delivering a very similar presentation.

I'm not surprised at seeing how these conversations are going now, when the game looks very similar on both systems you get nitpicking of whatever little things can be found, and heaven forbid someone points out the PS4 version of a game has some issues the XB1 doesn't oh no no no, we can't have any of that going on.

I expect things to go like this for the next few years at the least.

It's great PvZ :GW has a higher res, I mean, heck, months later and you'd expect the developers to be able to get more out of their game.   As far as Madden and other EA sports games go, eh, if the PS4 versions have some issues then they'll just have to get patched, but for now it seems the XB1 versions don't suffer any. 

6 months of extra development time, is anyone surprised that PvZ runs better on PS4? The Xbox one version is most likely not using the June XDK.

• Like 2

6 months of extra development time, is anyone surprised that PvZ runs better on PS4? The Xbox one version is most likely not using the June XDK.

It looks the same, PvZ art style is cartoony and your not going to notice the difference in pixels on that game even though it has 44% more pixels on the screen with the PS4 version.

It also wasn't 6 extra months of development because they needed to build the PS4 version for its release. The Xbox One has had an extra 6 months to optimize the game after its initial release.

But it is 1080p/60fps on PS4 and 900p/60fps on the Xbox One, visual differences are negligible though due to the PvZ art style and according to the article posted earlier you can only notice the difference if you take still images and compare the two, when the game is running the Xbox One upscaler 'delivers a very similar presentation'. (According to comparison review)

Looks like Plants VS Zombies got a bit of a bump on the ps4, but its just not the right type of game to actually show off the extra performance at its disposal.

I'm starting to see a pattern with posts about these comparisons though. There is the initial post made with some passive aggressive tones and then a string of responses in reaction. Next time, just share the numbers and the responses will be quite different.

Regarding this game, I hope people give it a chance, its pretty fun. The in game transactions don't take away from the core game play.

It looks the same, PvZ art style is cartoony and your not going to notice the difference in pixels on that game even though it has 44% more pixels on the screen with the PS4 version.

It also wasn't 6 extra months of development because they needed to build the PS4 version for its release. The Xbox One has had an extra 6 months to optimize the game after its initial release.

But it is 1080p/60fps on PS4 and 900p/60fps on the Xbox One, visual differences are negligible though due to the PvZ art style and according to the article posted earlier you can only notice the difference if you take still images and compare the two, when the game is running the Xbox One upscaler 'delivers a very similar presentation'. (According to comparison review)

It's not only the artstyle. It's also the AA used.

I said it earlier while using FXAA you wont really see any difference between 900 and 1080 cause the difference will be lost in the blurriness of FXAA. You'll probably see a little bit more jaggies on the One but that's all. All the image fidelity of 1080p will be lost in FXAA. Even the PC version with FXAA doesn't really look any better. I know some people like FXAA but i personally think it is crap. The first thing i do when i start playing a PC port offering FXAA is to find a way to disable it.

It really is a big disappointment that new consoles can't do at the very least 4x msaa in such a simple game. It means we'll have to deal with crappy fxaa on PC for another 6 years. I thought this gen all PC ports would have the built-in option to use something else than FXAA. Looks like it wont be the case. It is so stupid to make all those great looking games and apply FXAA over them.

Looks like Plants VS Zombies got a bit of a bump on the ps4, but its just not the right type of game to actually show off the extra performance at its disposal.

I'm starting to see a pattern with posts about these comparisons though. There is the initial post made with some passive aggressive tones and then a string of responses in reaction. Next time, just share the numbers and the responses will be quite different.

Regarding this game, I hope people give it a chance, its pretty fun. The in game transactions don't take away from the core game play.

Hope that's not aimed at me, the outcome for PvZ was obvious, they announced it would be 1080p a while ago.

As a PS4 owner and having played The Last of Us Remastered on it at 60 fps, I would say it's 60 fps or death for future games. 

I will refuse to buy if the game is still doing miserable 30 fps. I really don't care about extra dust particle my car will brush off or some fancy light descending from heavenly clouds.

60 fps means 60 fps. No compromises there.

Ohh I am filled with rage. :P

We wouldn't have a thread this long if 900p native and 1080p native were the same thing*. The June XDK came out in...June, which doesn't give them 6months to optimize it and how many developers really go back and update rendering resolution post release (not to mention this is an EA game)? PS4 version came out roughly 6months after XBO and that is why I said it had extra 6months.

I am not trying to be a 1080p jihadi here but just reminding why this thread exists.

There is plenty of difference. 40 odd percent of difference

Shock horror..a EA game that runs slightly better on the Xbox. Would have thunk it? Its plainly obvious that EA have sided with MS this generation, so comes as no surprise that their games are either equal or slightly better now

So that means if Battlefield Hardline is better on the PS4, then, hmmmmmmmmmmm... wait a minute, it's EA too!!! Would have thunk it? What makes you think EA has "sided with MS this generation" when both Sony and MS make deals with EA? Was it because MS allowed EA Access while Sony denied it?

So that means if Battlefield Hardline is better on the PS4, then, hmmmmmmmmmmm... wait a minute, it's EA too!!! Would have thunk it? What makes you think EA has "sided with MS this generation" when both Sony and MS make deals with EA? Was it because MS allowed EA Access while Sony denied it?

Battlefield is made by DICE. Not by EA directly and DICE are a decent team.

All the sports franchises are made directly by EAs sports division. They make and publish them.

Yes I know DICE are owned by EA but they are still a bunch of guys that were outside of EA once, like the guys behind Burnout.

Battlefield is made by DICE. Not by EA directly and DICE are a decent team.

All the sports franchises are made directly by EAs sports division. They make and publish them.

Yes I know DICE are owned by EA but they are still a bunch of guys that were outside of EA once, like the guys behind Burnout.

That's an interesting hair to split though.

Ultimately, EA has control over DICE. If there was some mandate or new policy that they wanted to push, DICE would be following it. Bungie would be an example of a developer that fits the idea your going for. They have a partnership with Activision, but are otherwise completely independent. Activision has no say in how the studio is run.

All EA sports games suffer in some way on the ps4 so far... BF does not and is actually far better.

How do you explain that? The ps4 is more than capable of matching and beating the Xbox, yet EA sports games don't.

As a PS4 owner and having played The Last of Us Remastered on it at 60 fps, I would say it's 60 fps or death for future games. 

I will refuse to buy if the game is still doing miserable 30 fps. I really don't care about extra dust particle my car will brush off or some fancy light descending from heavenly clouds.

60 fps means 60 fps. No compromises there.

Ohh I am filled with rage. :p

I'm currently going through TLoU on the PS4.  It is beautiful running at 60fps.

All EA sports games suffer in some way on the ps4 so far... BF does not and is actually far better.

How do you explain that? The ps4 is more than capable of matching and beating the Xbox, yet EA sports games don't.

I can't explain it other than you have different teams making different games within EA with different results. Its not like the sports games run on the same engine being used by DICE for BF4. Your trying to compare the two as if everything is equal except that the sports game don't run equally well on all consoles. Even BF4 doesn't run the same on all consoles. If EA was using one engine for all games created by their various teams, then maybe you could pull evidence from that, but there are just too many variables right now.

I just think the idea that EA is intentionally siding with either platform is a bit silly without some real proof. EA obviously wants to support both, why else would they go to both Sony and MS when coming up with EA Access?

I hope a future patch is released which enables 60fps on Destiny on both the consoles. Even if they have to sacrifice few particle effects or some lighting, I will be fine it. Why can't the developers understand this?

Why only either 30fps or 60fps? Why is it hard to cap the game at 45fps to achieve the best compromise?

This question bothers me more when it comes to frame rate discussion. Hopefully someone at Neowin who has game development experience can shed some light.

I hope a future patch is released which enables 60fps on Destiny on both the consoles. Even if they have to sacrifice few particle effects or some lighting, I will be fine it. Why can't the developers understand this?

Why only either 30fps or 60fps? Why is it hard to cap the game at 45fps to achieve the best compromise?

This question bothers me more when it comes to frame rate discussion. Hopefully someone at Neowin who has game development experience can shed some light.

I'm wondering this as well, it's always either 60f or 30f, but why not 45 like you said?   Or just lock it as high as you can before you are forced to reduce the resolution or visuals.  So like, if 1080p and 60fps isn't smooth then maybe 1080p and 50fps works?  10 less frames won't, IMO, hurt a game compared to 30 less.