Lifetime Orders Dystopian Thriller 'The Lottery' to Series

For its second scripted series order of the year, Lifetime has ordered 10 episodes of conspiracy thriller ?The Lottery? from ?Children of Men? co-writer Timothy J. Sexton, Lifetime EVP and gm Rob Sharenow announced today.

Set in a dystopian future and dealing with the threat of human extinction, ?The Lottery? stars Marley Shelton, Michael Graziadei and David Alpay and is exceedingly darker in subject matter than the other scripted show the cabler greenlit this year: A+E Studios? ?Un-Real,? which stars Shiri Appleby and offers a behind-the-scenes look at a competition dating show.

??The Lottery? is one of the most provocative and original concepts we?ve ever seen,? Sharenow said. ?Tim Sexton?s unique dystopian thriller represents an exciting new direction for Lifetime and continues cable?s position on the leading edge of bold, high-quality scripted drama.?

Sexton will exec produce with Dawn Olmstead. Danny Cannon directed and executive produced the pilot from Grady Girl Productions in association with Warner Horizon Television.

Source

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Turned this off halfway through the second episode, here are some things I learnt about it:

• The first thing the government does is fire the person leading the successful viable embryo experiment
  • A lottery of random people (many of who probably won't meet the criteria) is better than running a census and going from there
  • Highest levels of government (the man and the woman chief of staff) blatantly can't agree on anything to the point killing or torturing people is necessary 
  • When you're a fugitive on the run, the first thing you do is go to another of "the six" (under the scrutiny of the Department of Humanity)
  • When you're on the run and at that safehouse, you then decide to go get insulin for your son instead of asking the woman, who isn't plastered all over the news and internet
  • Finding a cure for humanity means it's perfectly OK to delete all the donor data so the scientists can't access it
  • A keycard in what is supposedly the most secure building in the country is all you need to sneak back in (after being fired) and successfully steal 1 of the only 100 viable embryos in existence (the US government "took over" the whole experiment at this point but forgot guards I guess).
  • When you are warned by the government that you can't disclose what or where something happened to you, immediately disclose that you were held at the department of humanity
  • ugh, many more. 

I was seriously shaking my head constantly, have we already achieved idiocracy or are people just not trying anymore?

I was seriously shaking my head constantly, have we already achieved idiocracy or are people just not trying anymore?

It's on lifetime. Hardly a "quality programming cable channel" and instead a "hey look we cater to 60 year old soccer mums who still think they're 20."

And then the whole dystopian future thing is getting really really old now. It's like every other movie/book nowadays is "ERMAHGERD the government is controlling us." And most of them are written to cater to teenagers. It's like the whole zombie thing all over again and just like zombies, hollywood will keep resurrecting the beaten dead horse over and over again.

• 3 weeks later...