Teen sues parents for support, kicked out

A New Jersey teenager is suing her parents, claiming she was kicked out of her home and thus entitled to money for private-school tuition, transportation, room and board.

In a potential precedent-sitting lawsuit, Morris Catholic HS senior Rachel Canning said mom and dad are still financially responsible for her ? even after she flew their Lincoln Park coop, two days before her 18th birthday in late October.

The eldest daughter of Sean and Elizabeth Canning said she was forced out, while her parents insist she moved voluntarily.

Both sides are scheduled to appear before a Morristown judge on Tuesday.

Rachel is asking that mom and dad be ordered to immediately pay up for tuition at the 12th-grader?s Morris Catholic HS.

more

Yup, brat alert. AT MOST I'd give her the 2 days before her 18th birthday, hoping it was a weekend so school tuition would be moot. More likely I'd tell her to tough it out.

Unfortunately, she's staying with a friend of hers whose father is a lawyer and is supposedly representing her in this idiotic litigation.  I tell you, for an honor student, she doesn't seem that bright.

?I?m a liberal, liberal parent,? Canning pleaded. ?I wish I could have grown up in my house. I was tougher on my cops at work than I?ve ever been at my home, that?s for sure.?

nuff said.... :laugh:

A New Jersey honor student suing her parents in a potentially precedent-setting lawsuit had her motions for financial support, including high school tuition payment, denied Tuesday by a judge who said it would set a bad precedent by setting limits on parenting.

Rachel Canning, 18, of Morris Catholic High School, was denied her requests for child support of $654 a week as well as thousands of dollars in attorney fees and immediate reimbursement of her high school tuition.

Morris County Court Judge Peter Bogaard also ruled that Rachel?s parents must keep her on their health insurance policy and keep status quo on all college savings accounts set up for her.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/03/05/new-jersey-teen-sues-parents-for-support-claiming-was-kicked-out-home/?intcmp=trending

A New Jersey honor student suing her parents in a potentially precedent-setting lawsuit had her motions for financial support, including high school tuition payment, denied Tuesday by a judge who said it would set a bad precedent by setting limits on parenting.

Rachel Canning, 18, of Morris Catholic High School, was denied her requests for child support of $654 a week as well as thousands of dollars in attorney fees and immediate reimbursement of her high school tuition.

Morris County Court Judge Peter Bogaard also ruled that Rachel?s parents must keep her on their health insurance policy and keep status quo on all college savings accounts set up for her.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/03/05/new-jersey-teen-sues-parents-for-support-claiming-was-kicked-out-home/?intcmp=trending

The spoiled brat lose her crap... now she can get a McDonald job at $5 a hour to pay back her attorney fees and tuition.

Good for this judge, showed some restraint and common sense.  Young lady may learn something about self entitlement, hopefully.

The spoiled brat lose her crap... now she can get a McDonald job at $5 a hour to pay back her attorney fees and tuition.

You do know minimum wage is a wee bit more, right?  ;)

I hope any potential employers are taking note, and never hire her for any job.

People make mistakes and even can learn from them.  That is no reason to destroy their life with such an action because they were stupid as a kid.

We need a dislike button here.

You do know minimum wage is a wee bit more, right?   ;)

People make mistakes and even can learn from them.  That is no reason to destroy their life with such an action because they were stupid as a kid.

my bad, yeah $7.25... :rolleyes:

She destroys her own life, with such stupidity.

This speaks of her character, and I would not want such a person working for my business.

• Like 2

She destroys her own life, with such stupidity.

This speaks of her character, and I would not want such a person working for my business.

So you never made a mistake as a child?  Do you think that a mistake makes you unredeemable?

Don't lie to yourself...

She is a kid...

She is a brat who needs a good butt spanking.

Businesses are going to think, "Is she going to sue this company, if she does not get her own way ?".

• Like 3

She is a brat who needs a good butt spanking.

Businesses are going to think, "Is she going to sue this company, if she does not get her own way ?".

She wont be remembered in 6 months

So you never made a mistake as a child?  Do you think that a mistake makes you unredeemable?

Don't lie to yourself...

She is a kid...

18 years old is not a kid. She's an adult.

• Like 2

i see no reason why she shouldn't get paid. Every year jobless women leave their families or get kicked out by their husbands and they go to court and demand alimony so that they can continue to live in the lifestyle they are accustomed to. and when a father is paying child support he can be compelled to pay past the age of majority if the kid is going to college... So this girl is basically asking for what women have gotten for decades but it all of a sudden seems strange and wrong to us because she's a child instead of a wife?

p.s.

it is strange and wrong... so is alimony and much of child support.

Except that she wasn't kicked out, she walked out.

wives walk out of their marriages and get rewarded with alimony... we have a no-fault divorce system. It doesn't matter who did what. The only thing different between this girl and a married woman is that she wasn't married.

To quote Penn & Teller... "Alimony is Bullsh**!"

If someone chooses to leave a relationship, through no fault of the ones they leave, why should that person deserve a damn thing from the ones they're leaving?