Couple kicked out of McDonald's, for over-staying

Hello,

The article continuously mentions that he was a veteran.  How is this relevant?

Why is it relevant that you mention it and even notice?

I reread it a secound time and yes, it does say it several times. But you are missing the entire point of the story :huh:

It also says "Becker" several times. How is it relevant what their names were? :laugh:

Anyways, I dont understand them getting kicked out after 30 minutes; Like some comments in this thread, I mean you sit down, eat, and then just stay talking for a while. 45-60 mins.

'A couple says an apology from McDonald's is simply not enough'

I'm sure a multimillion dollar lawsuit will be sufficient, though.

Mistreating an average citizen would be considered poor manners, mistreating a veteran in an absolute outrage. Maybe he is a true, god-fearing, church-going veteran! That will really ###### people off.

It also says "Becker" several times. How is it relevant what their names were? :laugh:

Because their name identifies them? Who they are is relevant, their occupation or former occupation is hardly of any importance.

McDonald?s couple sitting ?too long? offered free meals for life

Once the letter was printed, the story quickly spread across social media. One of the people who saw the Beckers? story was Shawn Moss, owner of Shawn?s Smokehouse BBQ in Culpeper. Moss says he believes strongly in customer service and wanted to do something for the couple. He decided to offer the octogenarians free ?scrunch? one day a week, for life. Remembering that Carl was a World War II veteran, Moss said, ?We?re also going to do a ?Scrunch Day? on Wednesday, and offer free coffee to all seniors and veterans.?

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/oddnews/couple-kicked-out-of-mcdonald%E2%80%99s-for-sitting-%E2%80%98too-long%E2%80%99-offered-free-meals-for-life-190814025.html?vp=1

87-year-old Carl and 81-year-old Barbara Becker ...offered free ?scrunch? one day a week, for life ....

*points and snickers childishly*

*runs away*

Good grief, what a non-story. Customers get asked to leave all the time when stores need to close up or if the seats are needed for other customers. It's rather pathetic that these people decided to go to the press about it.

PS - The veteran angle in the article is disgusting. Only in America do soldiers get treated like saints.

Man, McDonalds is just shooting themselves in the foot left, right and centre with their PR. A pair of coffees for that ignorance? For a multi billion dollar company? That's laughable.

PS - The veteran angle in the article is disgusting. Only in America do soldiers get treated like saints.

Apart from by their own government.

Because, you are suppose to have more respect for for someone that has fought for your life.

• Like 2

Because, you are suppose to have more respect for for someone that has fought for your life.

That argument certainly carried weight for those who served in WWII and were drafted?often against their will?but since then we've seen countless unnecessary wars that don't have any bearing on domestic security - Korea, Vietnam, Afghanistan, Iraq, etc. Nowadays people choose to join the military and get paid generously for doing so. Of course they deserve respect but it has absolutely ZERO bearing on a story like this.

I object to the 'Only in America' to Vets get treated better.

WWII Vets get treated like saints in most of the civilized world. When my Grandfather had his WWII Hat on, it wasn't just Canada where people would be even more polite (is that possible for Canadian's to be more polite?) but also all through Europe, in the US despite his being Canadian, etc.

Now if the guy was 22 and a Vet of Iraq, that's another story, it's not as easy to tell that.. But most WWII vets I know often have something on that indicates it as such..

Also, vet part aside, they were kicking out SENIORS for not eating fast enough, after they rudely were cleaning and making a mess while they were trying to have a meal.

Donno about in the US, but everywhere I've been in Canada they might clean a table beside you, but will NEVER sweep near customers unless there is a mess that needs to be cleaned up asap, like broken glass.

Sounds like the Employee got called out for being an idiot, cried to the Manager, and the Manager decided to kick them out. Which is BS. I wouldn't go back after that either, and I WOULD file a complaint with McDonalds Head Office. Around here the manager would be lucky to have a job the next day.

Mentioning he was a WWII vet is also a way of mentioning he's in his lat 80's...rather than a twenty-something homeless type....

Because there are no homeless veterans?  :pinch:

Hello,

Yeah me too......I mean, not only is it my desk, but Im working and I need to be centered on it. Cant have someone with a broom or wiping a screen, etc.

Do it when I go to the bathroom or Im away from my desk. I usually dont move at all when they come to "clean" my area.

Yea the cleaners should really hang around your desk and wait for you to go to the toilet before they clean your desk, same for everyone else.. They don't need to go home or clean other places I'm sure they can just hang around all day just waiting...

/s.

I don't like people who think they are privileged to special treatment or treat others as lower forms of life because of their trade. As an ex-military member I cringe when people try to use the veteran card to their advantage and try to gain either sympathy or support. Anyone can join the military and they rarely do it to protect their country and people its more to do with gaining a trade, earning money and the experience.. sort of like any other job.

He is not merely a veteran - he is a veteran of World War II.  In other words, one of the very few surviving members of "the Greatest Generation."  That is, a generation of men and women deserving of our respect - not only for what they contributed to our nation - but to the entire world.  In short - it is relevant, in every way.  This man has earned the respect that he is rightly due.  His sacrifices for his country should at the very least afford him a few extra minutes in "the iconic" American restaurant.

I don't like people who think they are privileged to special treatment or treat others as lower forms of life because of their trade. As an ex-military member I cringe when people try to use the veteran card to their advantage and try to gain either sympathy or support. Anyone can join the military and they rarely do it to protect their country and people its more to do with gaining a trade, earning money and the experience.. sort of like any other job.

Let me help you out - not everyone can join the military.  That is a simple fact.  Also, not everyone joins the military because they are looking for employment.  I joined the day the ground war broke out in the first Gulf War to serve my country - that was 22 years ago.  In this time, I have served with some of the greatest, patriotic, and selfless people in America.  Real, everyday heroes.  I am damn proud to be counted among their ranks.  If you did actually serve, from the sounds of it, it is a good thing you got out when you did.

Not veterans but teens are sometimes really annoying e.g. farting all the times while eating, disgusting. I had to kick myself out of the Macca yesterday cause of this.

He is not merely a veteran - he is a veteran of World War II.  In other words, one of the very few surviving members of "the Greatest Generation."  That is, a generation of men and women deserving of our respect - not only for what they contributed to our nation - but to the entire world.  In short - it is relevant, in every way.  This man has earned the respect that he is rightly due.  His sacrifices for his country should at the very least afford him a few extra minutes in "the iconic" American restaurant.

Don't agree.

... get paid generously for doing so.

Really.  You are joking, right.  Get paid generously?  The average enlisted salary is around $25,000.  I think most Americans would consider this less than generous.  As a matter of fact, it would entitle the person to a receive a welfare subsidy in many states.

The whole reason McDonald's started putting TVs and Wi-Fi in was to get people to stay longer.

Thats one of the reasons I do not use establishments that play music, have t.v. and wireless.

I am a vegetarian also the other reason.

The couple should sue, it's a disgace.

More than likely the establishment was empty.

Let me help you out - not everyone can join the military.  That is a simple fact.  Also, not everyone joins the military because they are looking for employment.  I joined the day the ground war broke out in the first Gulf War to serve my country - that was 22 years ago.  In this time, I have served with some of the greatest, patriotic, and selfless people in America.  Real, everyday heroes.  I am damn proud to be counted among their ranks.  If you did actually serve, from the sounds of it, it is a good thing you got out when you did.

I never said everyone joins for employment there are many reasons.. some join to support their country, some for a job and some even join just to be able to shoot guns.. I also think its a good thing I got out when I did. Going back to the self-importance thing I didn't agree with people in uniform whom divided themselves from 'civilians' they thought we were much better than regular people and acted it out, or officers who thought they were much better than non-officer ranks.. Also working with US forces when making small talk I didn't like how many times I heard the answer 'to shoot arabs' to my why'd you join the military question. I also had a lot of higher ranking officers who were always on powertrips.. As a junior officer I worked under senior non-officer ranks who hated officers in general. I also never had the intention of staying in the military my entire life and wanted to move on to bigger and better things, start a family and be around rather than have my family worry about me all the time.

Really.  You are joking, right.  Get paid generously?  The average enlisted salary is around $25,000.  I think most Americans would consider this less than generous.  As a matter of fact, it would entitle the person to a receive a welfare subsidy in many states.

I don't see how the average could be that low. Simplyhired puts that number at $43k. In 2007, the average salary for an enlisted member who was been in service for less than four months was 30k. I separated in 2006 after four years as an E-4, and I was making a few K above that. Sorry, it just irks me when people try to low ball the pay of service members.

Thats one of the reasons I do not use establishments that play music, have t.v. and wireless.

Sue? Really? The best course of action in this case is to vote with your wallet. Whenever I receive bad service from a place, I don't return. Sometimes I file a complaint to the management, and they offer freebees to get me to come back, but I politely decline those. It's a simple as that. There's no need to get lawyers and the press involved.

over-staying.... i thought they spent their whole day in the restaurant without reordering some food. but 30 minutes? thats ridiculous.

Sue? You're joking right?  It's a private establishment. The owner/manager can ask a customer to leave for almost any reason they feel like, as long as it's not a protected class.

Asking someone to leave because they're too slow isn't a protected class; doing so just because they're old, is.  Good luck proving it though.

• Like 1

I don't agree with the people saying they should Sue.

This was wrong and all, but has NO place in court. The Bad PR alone will cost McDonalds more in the short term than any payment.. and is probably gonna leave everyone working at that McDonalds with a red flag in the file as the Owner of the Franchise starts looking for ways to get rid for them asap.