is it true that some electronics are EMP shielded?

EMP pulse destroys computers and electronics rite, and i heard some government computers, fight jets are emp shielded. how does it work? anyone know? sry im just too lazy to google it :p

edit: oh yea wha if some terrorist build a hugh emp bomb and set it off in the middle of a big city, man, they would suck. all the computers are gonna be fried.

Edited by grimreaper

EMP pulse destroys computers and electronics rite, and i heard some government computers, fight jets are emp shielded. how does it work? anyone know? sry im just too lazy to google it :p

edit: oh yea wha if some terrorist build a hugh emp bomb and set it off in the middle of a big city, man, they would suck. all the computers are gonna be fried.

Source: Link

The effects of these field on electronics is difficult to predict, but can be profound. Enormous induced electric currents are generated in wires, antennas, and metal objects (like missiles, airplanes, and building frames). Commercial electrical grids are immense EMP antennas and would be subjected to voltage surges far exceeding those created by lightning, and over vastly greater areas. Modern VLSI chips are extremely sensitive to voltage surges, and would be burned out by even small leakage currents. Military equipment is generally designed to be resistant to EMP, but realistic tests are very difficult to perform and EMP protection rests on attention to detail. Minor changes in design, incorrect maintenance procedures, poorly fitting parts, loose debris, moisture, and ordinary dirt can all cause elaborate EMP protections to be totally circumvented. It can be expected that a single high yield, high altitude explosion over an industrialized area would cause massive disruption for an indeterminable period, and would cause huge economic damages (all those damaged chips add up).

So I guess if the shielding is designed without any inperfections it is theoretically possible to shield an EMP.

Edited by jmole

The cost of this makes it highly unlikely that this would be a terrorist's weapon. They are much more likely to rely on more conventional weapons.

Though it is possible.

The cost of this makes it highly unlikely that this would be a terrorist's weapon. They are much more likely to rely on more conventional weapons.

Though it is possible.

Just imagine though if you're a terrorist group who didn't want to kill millions with an atomic bomb, but rather somewhat destroy a country's economic foundation (hell, I'd start in NY if I had an emp bomb, stock exchange, etc).

Just imagine though if you're a terrorist group who didn't want to kill millions with an atomic bomb, but rather somewhat destroy a country's economic foundation (hell, I'd start in NY if I had an emp bomb, stock exchange, etc).

That would be refreshing for a terrorist group who hates the USA economic/military machine, to attack it and only it without killing innocent people. I wouldn't, however, be surprised if there wasn't a plan to protect against just such an event.

I remember reading through a technical discussion paper some time ago, that second only to the US Missile Defence, the military spends massive amounts on EMP weaponry. Having realised its the information age, and that with one EMP bomb, a whole City/Military base etc can be crippled in one blow, etc etc or enemy communications anihilated without massacring and locating all communicatios arrays etc etc

err sorry my point was still yeah EMP is the way the worlds going hey. Much like missile defence though, looks like EMP defence is much the same blowing in the wind.

Yeah there's stuff emp shielded, heck Air Force One is EMP shielded. But EMP is weak stuff neutron bombs are where it's at.

Kills all the people leaves everything intact. Then you just walk in and claim your empty city.

Yeah there's stuff emp shielded, heck Air Force One is EMP shielded. But EMP is weak stuff neutron bombs are where it's at.

Kills all the people leaves everything intact. Then you just walk in and claim your empty city.

woah, that sounds scary :ninja:

Isn't NORAD in Colorado Springs EMP shielded? I watched some Discovery channel thing on it, and they said that it was an early attempt to shield against it.