Does swearing offend you?

Does swearing offend you?  

219 members have voted

1. 1. Does swearing offend you?

• Yes, swearing is a sin, you are all going to a bad place
    • Yea, I don't like it.. just think there could be other things said.
    • Neutral, I don't really swear, and small amounts don't bug me
    • No, swearing is cool with me.
    • I don't think of swearing as a special case.. a word is a word.

I voted "neutral" as it was the closest to me. I swear a lot out of work and very little at work. It's not really appropriate at work (in an office) but it's fine every once in a while to express extreme emotions. For instance, if a production server goes down I think "oh sh--" is an appropriate response. However, if you're in a meeting just talking with your coworkers, it's not.

Depends on where you work.  I worked for non profits, banks, and other places where swearing was frowned upon.  I have also worked in manufacturing and it is common place to swear.  Even managers/VPs.

I can't say any of the options fit my opinion.

I have no problem with swearing and swear. however, I don't see why you need to use it in a public forum like this. 

• Like 1

I am left wondering if the more puritanical US users and the more colourful UK users are at loggerheads here?

I mean, I call my mates "C**TS" all the time, as they do me.  It's just how we are. (Plus, I am a c**t ;) )

Yes indeed, there are far worse things you could be called (in the UK)...

Not at all.

The only time I dislike swearing is when it is directed at somebody with the intent of insulting or angering them. When used in other situations I find it normal and non-offensive.

IMO the whole discussion about whether it should or shouldn't be allowed was a waste of time. Ensure users are not using foul language to attack each other, but #### trying to enforce and micromanage casual usage of language.

• Like 2

It doesn't offend me. It only offends if they're specifically directed at me:

- "This game is a piece of *#"\&" - don't find it offensive

- "Setnom is a piece of *#"\&" - offensive

I have never thought of swear words as having any special powers. Each word is equal to any other word. The power behind it is all within each person. Due to this. Just because words do not offend me does not mean the words i choose might not offend others. Because of this, it is always wise to be careful what you say when you are around those you do not know well.

It all depends on its use and frequency.

Listening (or reading) someone and every other word is a swear, does give off the impression that the person is either a raving lunatic or lives the trailer park or ghetto lifestyle.  

Listening (or reading) someone use it only once or twice in a conversation brings emphasis and/or humor.

• Like 2

No it is not offending me ... like I said before, it does not bother me. I don't care.

And I hope Neowin staff read this:

Add the swearing option in the individual profile so each user can turn either on to see the swear words in the site-wide forum or off for clean forum which those NSFW forums are locked to users who are chucrch goers or SFW for people who are at work.

For anyone else who are under 18, the option is locked until they reach 18 or older.

I don't mind verbal swearing, I swear a lot while talking as well. But when i read stuff i'd rather it has no swears in it. Swears, to me, lower the level of discussion like slangs, etc and i find them completely unnecessary when writing.

I don't swear often. I don't know why.

I don't mind people who swear though, it doesn't offend me. It can be annoying though when people can't string a sentence together without throwing it in.

The poll is flawed. I'm not offended by swearing but there are many situations in which it is simply inappropriate or undesirable. It's like masturbating - there's nothing wrong with it but there's a time and a place.

I don't mind verbal swearing, I swear a lot while talking as well. But when i read stuff i'd rather it has no swears in it. Swears, to me, lower the level of discussion like slangs, etc and i find them completely unnecessary when writing.

Have to ask what's the difference between swearing in writing and when talking? Surely the same argument of lowering the level of discussion applies?

I swear occasionally, but rather that I wouldn't. From what I have observed in my life, when it comes to males there is a direct correlation between how much a male swears and overall general intelligence. The girls that I have met through life do not swear as much as their male counterparts, but still seems to follow the same rule of thumb. This of course isn't a steadfast and concrete rule, just more of a general good predictor. Swearing, like some have said earlier, is just the use of some words that convey meaning. When people use those swear words, its because they lack (or intentionally choose) to use a easier word to convey a general broad meaning rather then choosing a word that would better describe the emotion they are feeling, even to the point of not knowing what else to say.

Have to ask what's the difference between swearing in writing and when talking? Surely the same argument of lowering the level of discussion applies?

yes it does. It's like with spelling/grammar error. I'm ok with them while talking but they annoy me while reading, so I always proofread what I write.

• Like 1