Does swearing offend you?

Does swearing offend you?  

219 members have voted

1. 1. Does swearing offend you?

• Yes, swearing is a sin, you are all going to a bad place
    • Yea, I don't like it.. just think there could be other things said.
    • Neutral, I don't really swear, and small amounts don't bug me
    • No, swearing is cool with me.
    • I don't think of swearing as a special case.. a word is a word.

I feel swearing is a very important part of ones vocabulary. Now that does not mean that swearing every other word is good. Swearing, like all things, should be in moderation. They are valid words and have valid uses. Sometimes a good "######" is the best way to respond to something. I find somebody who does not swear as quite odd. It is like denying something about yourself for no practical reason.

Almost forgot. 

There is research, that people who normally don't swear, that swear hard when experiencing a sudden cause of pain (accident, trauma, etc) it does have an actual temporary short pain relief effect when it happens without conscious thought. 

• Like 2

I don't swear, and if someone uses a swear word around me, I'm not offended necessarily, but I frankly don't see the need for it.  To me, it's a sign of maturity and ego strength to not have to rattle off curse words like some people do.  I knew a guy once many years ago, and every 3rd word in everything he said was f--k.  I thought to myself, what a loathsome, disgusting, piece of trash human being.  He didn't know us, and we were in a business relationship and he talked like this.  I figure now that he swore so much he wasn't even aware of how revolting and idiotic he sounded.  To me, swearing profusely in every day speech for no good reason is just a sign that you're an idiot and can't think about anyone but yourself.  And really, when it comes to communication, you need to think about other people.  Otherwise, go lock yourself in a room somewhere and talk to the walls.

This way of thinking 'a word is a word' and no words have any more impact or meaning than any others is a very simplistic way of looking at it.  If that's the case, why do you need to use swear words to make your point?  Why not just use the word 'creosote' for everything then. 

People who swear, in my opinion, think more of themselves, and very little of others.  How is that a good thing?

I never swear myself but I'm not offended by it, what I dont like are those morons who have to use it in every sentence. What does make me cringe though is hearing women swear, I think its absolutely awful  :pinch:

Oversimplifications don't help the discussion. Words convey meaning. Personal attacks are just "words", as are racist slurs - that doesn't mean they should be tolerated.

In general, I agree that it doesn't, however, in this case I think it clearly states my opinion. Yes, personal attacks are just "words" and racial slurs are just "words" so they should all be treated based on their meaning and the intent behind them. No special classes of words. Racial slurs are bad because they're racist, not because of the specific words used. Calling a black person a monkey because they're black is just as bad as calling them a ######. Because of the intent. Not because of the word used. But both are bad because they're racist. Not because someone randomly decided those particular words are bad (as is the case with curse words).

Racial slurs are bad because they're racist, not because of the specific words used.

By that same reasoning swearing is bad because it's swearing, not because of the specific words used. At the end of the day swearing is vulgar and is inappropriate in many situations. And it's not that "someone randomly decided" that certain words are bad - it's society that has determined that as a collective. The same applies to racism, sexism, personal attacks, vulgarity, farting in public, picking your nose, etc. I'm not offended by someone picking their nose but it's not something that I want to see.

#### no. You have to be an immature crybaby if the mere articulation of a word offends you.

Nope. Though i try not to curse to much in front of my child only so he wont repeat it all the time around others.   Just the other day  i said the S### word in line at the movies and some lady felt the need to tell me how awful i am and that kids could have heard me. I replied "I am so f###ing sorry mam next time ill try to make sure to say it louder. I apologize" and man she was cursing me out with her eyes lol

By that same reasoning swearing is bad because it's swearing, not because of the specific words used. At the end of the day swearing is vulgar and is inappropriate in many situations. And it's not that "someone randomly decided" that certain words are bad - it's society that has determined that as a collective. The same applies to racism, sexism, personal attacks, vulgarity, farting in public, picking your nose, etc. I'm not offended by someone picking their nose but it's not something that I want to see.

I fart in public, then act like it was the person infront of me.

• Like 1

I fart in public, then act like it was the person infront of me.

:x

Now I know to keep my distance. ;)

Racism and sexism were once considered good by society. Now, in most places - though certainly not all - they're considered bad. Just because society determines something does not mean it is the correct determination. "randomly decided" was a figure of speech intended to describe the asinine process of letting "what society decided at some point in the past" be the benchmark for a correct decision. In other words, it may as well have been a random decision, because that's about all the determination is worth.

A logical discussion could be had about the merits of some of those things - racism and sexism for example. For the most part, the greater good of the society would err on the side of not supporting racism and sexism. Global exclusionary principles rarely have a net positive effect on a large society.

On the flipside, I'm hard pressed to come up with even one logical argument against the use of any subset of words. I'd bet others on here would have similar difficulties.

Do we need to even get into the fact that a lot of the history of profanity stems from critique of the church and the church's influence is a big part of the reason why it became so taboo? Go find the history of the term 'Gadzooks', something considered quite innocent now (pretty sure it was used in Scooby Doo cartoons) but extremely vulgar in the past, for an example.

I don't swear often (except when I'm driving), and would prefer to carry a converstation without having the other person swear every other setence. A f bomb here or there though isn't a big deal to me.

i chose... "No, swearing is cool with me" (pretty much) ; personally i don't mind swearing and i swear a good amount myself but i don't use all swear words though, but most of them. mostly just the F word and ones more milder than that.

but with that said... if you are swearing 24/7 it might get a bit old though as you can only swear so much before it sounds like every other word is a swear word. lol (even then it can be a bit funny at times though depending on who does it and if it feels natural etc)

those people who take swearing TOO offensively are probably a bit too uptight if you ask me, especially if they freak out over a little swearing here and there as something like the F word is pretty common amongst those who swear.

but with that said... it's not like i consciously during a conversation think, 'ok lets use some swear words to look cool or lets watch my language around these people' or anything like that as i just talk and whatever comes out, comes out. but i imagine if i don't know you chances are my swearing will be minimal because i don't really say much to people i don't know well in general.

I don't like it when people swear in front of children.

while i agree in general with that quote... it can be hard not to swear in front of kids here and there as it just happens without even thinking about it since i am not used to being around kids and i am just too used to swearing over the years (for roughly 20 years now as ill be 35 years old later this year) to completely stop now.

but i better start learning quickly though as my sister (who is about a couple years younger than myself) has a couple of kids and one is 1.5years old (the other about a month and a half) and it won't be long before they absorb everything they hear like a sponge. lol ; hell, even my sister is kind of used to swearing here and there to (don't worry she's not a bad parent or anything as i am willing to bet she cares for her kid more than most moms as she breast feeds etc) as it won't be easy to not slip at least here and there around them. but hopefully if we do it's the minor ones like damn or s*** or something like that.

but in the end... they are inevitably going to hear swear words by the time they are teenagers anyways and probably before that. so while i generally try to avoid it around those who are in the single digits i would not worry about it TOO much if they are anywhere near teenager area since chances are they have heard it already.

It depends.

If it is not directed to me, then probably not.

If it is not said in a loud, hateful way, probably not.

I grew up with an abusive aunt, who frequently used just about every curse word, except F.

And there were many hostile bullies in high school who would hatefully use any sort of bad language, often on me.

So it left an impact.

Today if I am out in public and hear young teens F this and that, every 4th word, I think of them as complete idiots.

To me it shows no class and a poor upbringing.

I associate constant vulgar language with stupidity.

These teens will likely never find or keep jobs, since most businesses would not tolerate such poor speech.

Just as you should not smoke any place, any time, there are public situations where you should watch your language.

Millions of people out there will see you as retarded, if you use coarse language.

What you do at home, in your car, in private, is your business.

If your are among friends who don't mind it, that's fine.

Constant swearing is a sign of feeling Powerlessness and unbalanced.

I choose a Higher path. ;)

I don't mind people who swear in casual conversation, but if they swear at work or if I've just met them, then it bugs the hell out of me.

I've been known to swear like a drunken sailor on occasion, but I know when it's not appropriate to swear and keep it at a minimum or not at all.

If you look at the history of the S word and the F word, they were decided to be "wrong" because some old British lady didn't like them. So no, I refuse to not use a word just because some old British bitch decided she didn't like them.