Neowin's NHL Discussion Thread

i know there was already a season thread in general discussion, but it has since passed into oblivion, so heres an all new NHL thread made for the all new sporting arena. This years NHL season is the most exciting for me yet. i used to be a casual red wings fan, until the thrashers came along, then i started watching it a lot more, and now that they are doing well, it makes it even more fun to watch. its been a great season so far, and its barely 1/4 over, so heres the place to discuss everything hockey related.

while im at it, everyone go fill out an all star ballot here, and be sure to vote for ilya kovalchuk, hes soon to be, if not already, the best player in the game

Edited by CatnipOligarthy

As a Canadian I grew up with hockey and with the best team on earth the Leafs. As of tonight they're in first so things are looking up. Here's to hope at ending a 37 year drought. (although I'm not betting the farm on it)

Hey how is Heatly doing?

i havent heard much lately, last i heard his knee has been successfully repaired and his jaw is just about healed. he is in rehab now for his knee, and team doctors are saying thres a 50/50 chance that he may return in march or april for a playoff run, should there be one. im not really sure why hes on the all star ballot though.

bah, heatley shouldnt be able to play, should be in jail.

the snyder family chose not to press charges, so unless the DA wants to use Heatley as an example, which would make him/her a very unpopular DA, then having to live with the guilt of killing a friend and teammate is punishment enough

Well as of right now the flyers are number one in the league. I think they got a good chance this year as long as they dont choke in the playoffs like previous years. Ohh yea, and the penguins are last in the entire league as of now...gotta love it :D

The Flyers made a great move by getting ride of that piece of garbage Roman Cechmanek. So with Cechmanek gone I expect to see the Flyers go deep into the playoffs. As for the Penguins, they have crap offense but their young goalie Mark-Andre Fleury is a star in the making.

Roman isn't doing terrible, I mean the kings are at the top of their devision arent they? he is also second place for shutouts...

Yeah right he sucks. Cechmanek isn't going to be sticking around too long anyways, cause when the Kings get to the playoffs he will definatly be traded. He has never had a good playoff record u know. BMac has the right idea Cechmanek is useless garbage that's going to be kicked out by the Kings.

My all-star ballot

Eastern Conference

Wingers

KOVALCHUK, ILYA

ST. LOUIS, MARTIN

Centers

YASHIN, ALEXEI

Defense

AUCOIN, ADRIAN

LEETCH, BRIAN

Goaltenders

BRODEUR, MARTIN

Western Conference

Wingers

GUERIN, BILL

HULL, BRETT

Centers

FORSBERG, PETER

Defense

BLAKE, ROB

OZOLINSH, SANDIS

Goaltenders

HASEK, DOMINIK

Well as of right now the flyers are number one in the league. I think they got a good chance this year as long as they dont choke in the playoffs like previous years. Ohh yea, and the penguins are last in the entire league as of now...gotta love it :D

Yeah I hope to see them go far as well

The Flyers made a great move by getting ride of that piece of garbage Roman Cechmanek. So with Cechmanek gone I expect to see the Flyers go deep into the playoffs. As for the Penguins, they have crap offense but their young goalie Mark-Andre Fleury is a star in the making.

Too bad he can only play in 25 games per year otherwise Pittsberg might climb out of the basement.

Heatly will apparantly start skating in the next few weeks.

what? where did you hear that? they said nothing about heatley during last nights game

GO RED WINGS!

Who'dve thought they'd be leading the league in goals when they were supposed to be one of the deepest defensive teams? And the amount of goals they have, too -- 104! Man! That's sweet :woot:

That game was awesome last night, especially since it was basically Grand Rapids playing and not Detroit. :laugh:

make my only good 'pick' even better. What the hell happened with he senators? But the wild... well i guess they could be doing better.

Got to agree w/ you. It seemed like the senators have started to relax a bit after they got a new owner for their brankrupt team. The Wilds...errmmm well they have too many rookies... and if they don't get into the play-offs this season...the fans would be expecting more from their expansion team.

bah, heatley shouldnt be able to play, should be in jail.

my flyers are doing okay. ottawa got lucky.

Damn right they did...I can't wait for the Playoffs.