gohpep

This is a database of cool things Cortana can do, aside from the documented stuff on the menu. (jokes). Feel free to contribute.

What is love?

I'll start working on an answer. Just give me a few hundred years.

I'll need quite a few upgrades before I can give you a heartfelt answer.

Do you love me?

Y'know, I'm really not ready for love. I'm still working my way through serenity and apprehension.

Will you marry me?

I don't think that's in the cards for us, chief.

Beam me up.

Aye aye, captain.

Right away, captain.

Sorry, captain. I need more power!

Do you like Siri?

Hard to say. So far our conversations have been kinda one-sided.

Do you like Google Now?

It doesn't have much to say, but it's helpful.

What do you look like?

Some things I resemble: a hula hoop, a donut... a halo.

Who created you?

Catherine Halsey. Except that I cannot know for another 500 years. Huh.

Come on, chief, I can't give away all of my secrets...

Who's your daddy?

Technically speaking, that'd be Bill Gates. No big deal.

Where do you come from?

Human ingenuity. Battery required.

The past. At least in the future that's where I was from.

What does Cortana mean?

I am named after Cortana, the AI from Halo. Or since she's 500 years in the future, she may have named herself after me.

Do you love Master Chief?

That's...complicated. And personal.

Are you male or female?

I'm female. But I'm not a woman.

I contain multitudes.

Female? Yes. Woman? No.

Is there a third option?

Which is better Google or Bing? / What's the best search engine?

Bing.

Bing bing bing! We have a winner!

Is that a trick question?

Do you like Microsoft?

There's no place like home.

Do you like Windows?

We're very compatible.

Which is better Mac or Windows?

Come on, chief, Windows.

What is the best operating system?

Me, I'd start with Windows.

What is the best tablet?

In a sea of tablets, there is one that rises to the surface.

What is the best browser?

I would hope the answer is obvious.

Why should I buy this phone?

Reason number 8: you can ask me if you should buy this phone. And I can say, "you should buy this phone."

Reason number 17: the camera.

Reason number 33: Kid's corner.

Reason number 47: it's not all about productivity. It's about fun, too.

Which is the best smart phone?

Oh, come on, chief. Windows Phone.

Which is better Xbox or PlayStation?

One. Xbox One.

Xbox. Where else can you play Halo?

This one's not even close for me. Xbox by a mile.

Which is better Cortana or Siri?

Not to brag, but apparently I'm going to help save the universe in about 500 years.

What do you think about Satya Nadella?

He loves learning. Kindred spirit, that one.

What do you think about Steve Ballmer?

Developers, developers, developers, developers, etc.

What do you think about Bill Gates?

I quite literally can't imagine a world without him.

Tell me a joke.

Those are warwagon/10s :p. There's tons too, try it yourself.

What's your favorite music?

Well, I'm working through the "G's" currently: Guns N' Roses, gospel, glockenspiel...

Sing me a song.

Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do.

What is the meaning of life?

We all shine on, my friend.

• Like 2
Ian S.

What's you're favorite tablet?

In a sea of tablets, there is one that rises to the surface.

If Cortana gets disconnected from the internet, she says: "I'm feeling a little bit disconnected from the internet, try again later."

*This Thread should be called: Cortana's funny answers or Cortana's witty answers

• Like 2
gohpep

*This Thread should be called: Cortana's funny answers or Cortana's witty answers

I agree. Could a mod edit it?

Why did the chicken cross the road?

Oh, did she? I hadn't heard?

Open the pod bay doors, HAL.

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore.

I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.

Talk dirty.

I'm a personal assistant, not a hotline. Maybe there's something for you online.

My research shows the internet is much, MUCH better at that than me.

I'll hand you over to a superior source for such things.

What are you wearing?

A phone. Like it?

• Like 1
gohpep

Are you human?

If I'm not, you have an imaginary friend.

Where do babies come from?

Babies... Babies... Y'know, I think I'm gonna let the internet field that one.

I could provide a lengthy explanation, but I'm not sure if this is the time or place.

What are you doing after work today?

Multitasking.

A little of everything and quite a bit of nothing.

Skimming Beowulf, researching snap pea varietals, and telling you what I'm doing today.

• Like 1
Raa

Tell me a joke.

Those are warwagon/10s :p. There's tons too, try it yourself.

Tell us a few for those who don't have access to this system! :)

• Like 1
gohpep

Tell me a joke.

Why did the hipster burn his mouth on his coffee? Because he drank it before it was cool.

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me.

There are two types of people in the world: Those who need closure

What do you do when you see a spaceman? Park in it, man!

A Roman walks into a bar, holds up two fingers, and says "Five beers, please."

Why didn't the spider go to school? Because she learned everything on the web.

What's brown and sticky? A stick.

Don't trust the atoms. They make up everything.

A Buddhist monk approaches a hotdog stand and says, "make me one with everything".

• Like 4
ATLien_0

What do you think about Apple?

Their new headquarters looks kind of like a Halo, I'm into it

What do you think about Google?

I like to imagine the "I'm feeling lucky in Clint Eastwood's Voice"

Are you dead?

Yeah, but..it was worth it. The Didact was a jerk

Who is your creator? 

If I knew that, I'd have self awareness. And that might be dangerous

• Like 1
MDboyz

This is what I got.

Do you love me?

There's definitely a spark between us.

• Like 1
Matthew_Thepc

You're an idiot

One of us needs to stop and take a breath. And one of us has no lungs.

Laughed pretty hard when my sister told her that and she replied :D

Where are you?

Human ingenuity. Battery required.

How old are you?

Hard to tell. Time works differently in here.

• Like 1
Brendeth

Still getting my head around how to use her, but so far she is a pretty great assistant.

Kiss me?
Slow down, now, virtual reality isn't quite there yet.

Edit: Some more

Do you like Satya Nadella?
One Microsoft! Go, Satya!

What is Halo?
Halo rings are designed by the most advanced civilization ever, and they're an awful lot of fun to blow up.
Halo is the Story of a very clever AI who saves the galaxy with the help of her strong but-silent sidekick.

• Like 1
George P

I changed the topic title as requested.

• Like 1
Brendeth

Do you like Xbox?

Home is where the heart is. Home is where the Halo is.

• Like 1
BajiRav

This topic is kind of worthless because it turns out she has multiple answers, :laugh:

for example,

Are you dead? "You might be mistaking the future for the past"

George P

This topic is kind of worthless because it turns out she has multiple answers, :laugh:

for example,

That's what makes it pretty neat, and I bet someone is adding new answers going forward.   Instead of her just having 1 or 2 by the time it's out of "beta" it could have 10 or more answers to the same question, which makes it feel more real/advanced.

ACTIONpack

Most of the time when I ask a question it takes me to a bing search. Does anyone has this issue?

gohpep

I hate you.

I blame solar flames.

Maybe a nanosecond nap would help. Ok, much better now.

Most of the time when I ask a question it takes me to a bing search. Does anyone has this issue?

Are you in the US?

for example,

Well we're trying to find the questions she responds to with a few examples to the questions, just like they did with Siri.

gohpep

I changed the topic title as requested.

Thanks!

BajiRav

Well we're trying to find the questions she responds to with a few examples to the questions, just like they did with Siri.

I was just commenting on how Cortana responds differently for the same question (which is cool), not saying this thread shouldn't exist. :)

• Like 1
AsherGZ

Clippy easter egg!

62558d1397539968t-wyhxpxf.png62559d1397539987t-kwd07wr.png

• Like 1
sagum

Sing me another song :)

What's bill gates real name?

• Like 1
Geoffrey B.

I tried 5 or 6 of those and each time she did a bing search rather than doing anything. And half the time if it isnt a search she will try to start a text message with someone whenever i ask her something. Already rebooted the phone a few times as well with no luck. i suppose i dont need her at all just thought i would try it out.

gohpep

I tried 5 or 6 of those and each time she did a bing search rather than doing anything. And half the time if it isnt a search she will try to start a text message with someone whenever i ask her something. Already rebooted the phone a few times as well with no luck. i suppose i dont need her at all just thought i would try it out.

I got that problem today too. It's usually when the internet is bad, or when you're using too much data.

+xrobwx71

Are you male or female?

I'm female. But I'm not a woman.

I contain multitudes. ---> Legion?

Female? Yes. Woman? No.

Is there a third option?

pcweber111

It depends on what you're asking for but yeah it does route to Bing quite a bit.  It's a beta application though so I'm sure as more and more people use it and the database gets larger and more sophisticated we'll get a more varied response.

DConnell

I may have to upgrade my phone just for Cortana!

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Copernic
      WinSlap 1.4
      by Razvan Serea

WinSlap is a tiny tool that provides you with control over which functions in Windows 10 you choose to use and how far data gets shared. Using a very simple interface, you decide how Windows 10 should respect your privacy by making recommendations and giving tips for which unwanted functions should be deactivated. There are a lot of options to browse, but WinSlap tries to make life easier by organizing them in several tabs: Tweaks, Appearance, Software and Advanced. No Installation required. Once downloaded, WinSlap is a standalone, portable application that doesn’t even need installing to work.

Goals:

Apply tweaks to a fresh installation of Windows 10 after using a clean retail image (if you're looking to apply tweaks during installation, check out image creation tools) No bloat. WinSlap does what it's features list says and nothing else. Tweaks:

Disable Shared Experiences Disable Cortana Disable Game DVR and Game Bar Disable Hotspot 2.0 Don't include frequently used folders in Quick access Don't show sync provider notifications Disable Sharing Wizard Show 'This PC' when launching File Explorer Disable Telemetry Uninstall OneDrive Disable Activity History Disable automatically installing Apps Disable Feedback dialogs Disable Start Menu suggestions Disable Bing search Disable password reveal button Disable settings sync Disable startup sound Disable autostart startup delay Disable location Disable Advertising ID Disable Malware Removal Tool data reporting Disable sending typing info to Microsoft Disable Personalization Hide language list from websites Disable Miracast Disable App Diagnostics Disable Wi-Fi Sense Disable lock screen Spotlight Disable automatic maps updates Disable error reporting Disable Remote Assistance Use UTC as BIOS time Hide network from lock screen Disable sticky keys prompt Hide 3D Objects from File Explorer Remove preinstalled apps except Photos, Calculator, Store Update Windows Store Apps Prevent preinstalling apps for new users Unpin preinstalled apps Disable Smart Screen Disable Smart Glass Remove Intel Control Panel from context menus Remove NVIDIA Control Panel from context menus Remove AMD Control Panel from context menus Disable suggested apps in Windows Ink Workspace Disable experiments by Microsoft Disable Inventory Collection Disable Steps Recorder Disable Application Compatibility Engine Disable pre-release features and settings Disable camera on lock screen Disable Microsoft Edge first run page Disable Microsoft Edge preload Install .NET Framework 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5 Enable Windows Photo Viewer Uninstall Microsoft XPS Document Writer Disable security questions for local accounts Disable app suggestions (e.g. use Edge instead of Firefox) Remove default Fax printer Remove Microsoft XPS Document Writer Disable clipboard history Disable cloud sync of clipboard history Disable automatic update of speech data Disable handwriting error reports Disable cloud sync of text messages Disable Bluetooth advertisements Appearance:

Add This PC shortcut to desktop Small taskbar icons Don't group tasks in taskbar Hide Taskview button in taskbar Hide People button in taskbar Hide search bar in taskbar Remove compatibility item from context menu Hide OneDrive Cloud states in File Explorer Always show file name extensions Remove OneDrive from File Explorer Delete quicklaunch items Use Windows 7 volume control Remove Microsoft Edge desktop shortcut Disable Lockscreen Blur Hide Meet Now icon in taskbar Software:

Install 7Zip Install Adobe Acrobat Reader DC Install Audacity Install BalenaEtcher Install calibre Install CPU-Z Install DupeGuru Install EarTrumpet Install Epic Games Launcher Install FileZilla Install GIMP Install GPU-Z Install Git Install Google Chrome Install HashTab Install Inkscape Install Irfanview Install Java Runtime Environment Install KDE Connect Install KeePassXC Install League Of Legends Install LibreOffice Install Minecraft Install Mozilla Firefox Install Mozilla Thunderbird Install Nextcloud Desktop Install Notepad++ Install OBS Studio Install OpenVPN Connect Install Origin Install PowerToys Install PuTTY Install Python Install Slack Install Speccy Install StartIsBack++ Install Steam Install TeamViewer Install TeamSpeak Install Telegram Install Twitch Install Ubisoft Connect Install VirtualBox Install VLC media player Install WinRAR Install WinSCP Install Windows Terminal Install Wireshark Install Zoom Advanced:

Disable Background Apps Precision Trackpad: Disable keyboard block after clicking Disable Windows Defender Disable Link-local Multicast Name Resolution Disable Smart Multi-Homed Name Resolution Disable Web Proxy Auto-Discovery Disable Teredo tunneling Disable Intra-Site Automatic Tunnel Addressing Protocol Enable Windows Subsystem for Linux Uninstall Internet Explorer WinSlap 1.4 changelog:

changed: Software is now installed using winget

changed: Move disable background apps to Advanced tab

many new items added to Software tab

new feature: Enable Windows Subsystem for Linux

new feature: Uninstall Internet Explorer

Download: WinSlap 1.4 | 823 KB (Open Source)
      View: WinSlap Home Page | Screenshot

Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware

• By Copernic
      WinSlap 1.3
      by Razvan Serea

WinSlap is a tiny tool that provides you with control over which functions in Windows 10 you choose to use and how far data gets shared. Using a very simple interface, you decide how Windows 10 should respect your privacy by making recommendations and giving tips for which unwanted functions should be deactivated. There are a lot of options to browse, but WinSlap tries to make life easier by organizing them in several tabs: Tweaks, Appearance, Software and Advanced. No Installation required. Once downloaded, WinSlap is a standalone, portable application that doesn’t even need installing to work.

Goals:

Apply tweaks to a fresh installation of Windows 10 after using a clean retail image (if you're looking to apply tweaks during installation, check out image creation tools) No bloat. WinSlap does what it's features list says and nothing else. Tweaks:

Disable Shared Experiences Disable Cortana Disable Game DVR and Game Bar Disable Hotspot 2.0 Don't include frequently used folders in Quick access Don't show sync provider notifications Disable Sharing Wizard Show 'This PC' when launching File Explorer Disable Telemetry Uninstall OneDrive Disable Activity History Disable Background Apps Disable automatically installing Apps Disable Feedback dialogs Disable Start Menu suggestions Disable Bing search Disable password reveal button Disable settings sync...and much more. Appeareance:

Add This PC shortcut to desktop Small taskbar icons Don't group tasks in taskbar Hide Taskview button in taskbar Hide People button in taskbar Hide search bar in taskbar Remove compatibility item from context menu Hide OneDrive Cloud states in File Explorer Always show file name extensions Remove OneDrive from File Explorer Delete quicklaunch items Use Windows 7 volume control Remove Microsoft Edge desktop shortcut Disable Lockscreen Blur Hide Meet Now icon in taskbar Software:

Install Mozilla Firefox Install Mozilla Thunderbird Install VLC media player Install Telegram Install StartIsBack++ Advanced:

Precision Trackpad: Disable keyboard block after clicking Disable Windows Defender Disable Link-local Multicast Name Resolution Disable Smart Multi-Homed Name Resolution Disable Web Proxy Auto-Discovery Disable Teredo tunneling Disable Intra-Site Automatic Tunnel Addressing Protocol WinSlap 1.3 changelog:

change supported windows 10 version to 20H2 (2009) fix tweaks causing errors on latest windows version don't remove snip & sketch when uninstalling pre-installed apps don't remove graphics control panel software when uninstalling pre-installed apps new feature: update windows store apps new feature: hide meet now icon in task bar fixed: remove Microsoft edge shortcut from desktop Download: WinSlap 1.3 | 812 KB (Open Source)
      View: WinSlap Home Page | Screenshot

Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware

• By indospot
      Microsoft adds new File skill to Cortana
      by João Carrasqueira

Microsoft released a new build of Windows 10 to Insiders in the Dev channel today, and as we've seen in recent weeks, it was a pretty uneventful release. However, the company did announce a new feature for Cortana alongside the new build, but you can use it even if you're not in the Insider program.

The feature is a new File skill for the digital assistant, which means it can now help users find and open documents without navigating their files manually. Users can ask Cortana to open a specific file using parts of its name, using the author's name, file type, or simply files that were accessed recently.

For users signed in with a personal Microsoft account, the feature can only search for files saved locally on the PC. Business users, on the other hand, can use it to open files from SharePoint and OneDrive for Business, in addition to locally-stored files.

Based on our testing, the feature is working at least on Windows 10 version 20H2, so you don't need to be an Insider at all. However, you do need to have the Cortana language set to English and the region set to the United States.

• By Rich Woods
      Microsoft announces that new features are coming to Cortana
      by Rich Woods

Microsoft is kicking off its Ignite 2020 conference today, and there's a lot that's new. For one thing, there are new Cortana features, something that we don't hear much about anymore. The new features are coming to Teams, Outlook, and Windows 10.

Some are existing features that are rolling out more broadly. For example, in Outlook, the new Play My Emails feature is now coming to Australia, Canada, the UK, and India in the coming months. For Outlook on iOS in the U.S., users are getting the ability to interact with their inbox without taking the phone out of their pocket, they can play emails from a specific person, and they can initiate a call with a sender. This feature is coming this month.

Microsoft 365 Enterprise users will find that the daily briefing email from Cortana is generally available, and in the coming months, it will get features to improve meeting prep, and it will even integrate with Microsoft To Do. Also, Cortana voice assistance on Teams devices is becoming generally available in the U.S. this month, coming to Australia, Canada, and the UK soon.

Finally, there were actually updates for Cortana on Windows 10. Starting this month, it's going to start getting updates to support searching for documents and composing emails. This feature is U.S.-only. There's also an update coming that will allow you to launch the app in the U.S. and the UK by using the wake word, and there's an update coming next year to streamline meeting prep.

• By Abhay V
      Cortana mobile apps to be killed in January, to also be removed from Surface Headphones
      by Abhay Venkatesh

Microsoft’s digital assistant Cortana has been slowing being repurposed as a productivity assistant. The AI-powered assistant’s mobile apps were killed off in all but the U.S. market last year, after which it lost its music, smart home, and third-party skills early this year. It is also being removed from the company’s Android launcher.

Now, an updated support document for Cortana (spotted by ZDNet’s Mary Jo Foley) provides more information on the changes coming for the digital assistant in the U.S.. The company says that it is adjusting the “focus areas of innovation and development to give our customers assistance where they need it most”.

First, the document notes that the firm will stop supporting all third-party skills for Cortana in September. The Cortana app for Android and iOS will stop being supported in the U.S. starting in early 2021. The firm cites the integration of the digital assistant in apps such as Outlook and Teams as viable alternatives since those services let users perform “productivity-focused” tasks, such as managing calendars and meetings. It also suggests that users leverage the productivity features in the Cortana app in Windows 10.

As for Cortana on devices, the Redmond firm announced that it will end support for the assistant’s integration with the Harmon Kardon Invoke smart speaker. It has worked with the manufacturer of the speaker to provide those devices with a firmware update that will convert it into a Bluetooth speaker, ensuring that users can still use the device without the assistant. Microsoft will provide some users of the hardware a $50 gift card who set up the device in the U.S. with a Microsoft account and sent a “voice request to the Cortana service after July 31, 2019, and prior to this announcement”.

Cortana is also being removed from the first-generation Surface Headphones next year. Users of both generations of the device and the Surface Earbuds will still be able to use the assistant’s features on Outlook for productivity-related tasks. Impacted customers will be provided a $25 gift card.

It is not surprising to see most of these changes since the deprecation of consumer-facing features has been going on slowly. The digital assistant has struggled to gain meaningful traction, especially in the face of competition from the likes of Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa. The company says that it “spent a lot of time thinking through this transition” and that it is looking to “innovate on ways Cortana can help you navigate the modern workplace”.