Woman sues over rejected '8THEIST' license plate

Personalized license plates are pointless and a waste of money anyways.

Yeah I wouldn't want a license plate number that anyone can memorize at a glance.

This is a waste of time. She can't sue for a violation of her First Amendment rights due to regulation of what can be said on her license plate. Driving isn't a right and as such is a privilege granted by the State and regulated as such.

If she is upset she should appeal to the NJ State Legislature for a redress of her grievances... But I guess that doesn't generate news stories.

Lawsuits like this only bog down the courts with useless bickering...

• Like 2

stopped reading when i saw the tag "new jersey" jk

i don't know why everything this days has to be "news"; i mean i saw that Amazon changed the price tag of a product in less then 10 minutes, should i go and make a "news" of this?

I've noticed that and I'm getting sick of it.

Every. Single. Thing becomes a national/global news story. Every hour there's a new "social media outrage" story because some store raised the price of milk 3 cents or some guy got fired from his job for some obvious violation of work ethic but "the internet" feels otherwise about it.

This is a waste of time. She can't sue for a violation of her First Amendment rights due to regulation of what can be said on her license plate. Driving isn't a right and as such is a privilege granted by the State and regulated as such.

If she is upset she should appeal to the NJ State Legislature for a redress of her grievances... But I guess that doesn't generate news stories.

Lawsuits like this only bog down the courts with useless bickering...

Anyone can sue for about almost anything in this country. Not that she wont win, she has a good case given that NJ has already allowed a similar plate to pass after and earlier situation came up and was appealed and won. My money is on this not even getting to court. 

Anyone can sue for about almost anything in this country. Not that she wont win, she has a good case given that NJ has already allowed a similar plate to pass after and earlier situation came up and was appealed and won. My money is on this not even getting to court. 

My assertion wasn't that she can't sue in the literal sense, but that she can't win. Can't sue was probably not the best choice of words, but I tend to view lawsuits from a perspective of victory or failure. The Constitution grants the guaranteed right to sue so long as the dispute is worth more than $20.

Cases like this are a waste of the courts time and tax payer money spent both hearing the case and defending the State's position.

My assertion wasn't that she can't sue in the literal sense, but that she can't win. Can't sue was probably not the best choice of words, but I tend to view lawsuits from a perspective of victory or failure. The Constitution grants the guaranteed right to sue so long as the dispute is worth more than $20.

Cases like this are a waste of the courts time and tax payer money spent both hearing the case and defending the State's position.

Are you an attorney ? 

I dont disagree with it being a waste of time and money but she does have a case given what I provided you with the previous post. She would more then likely win but again I dont even see it going to court. If the NJ DMV reversed their policy for one, that puts their back against the wall when it comes to the exact same name (minus the #/letter difference) for another.

Are you an attorney ?

I have been told I should pursue a career as a lawyer since the Third Grade, but I am merely a Software Engineer.

this happens a lot. I remember a few years back in the news where a woman who was a big fan of tofu food wanted a plate that said ILUVTOFU but was rejected for obvious reasons.

Then people would sue for not being able to get them when others already have them. If you try to take those away from those that already have them, then they sue. Anyway you put it, someone will sue. Best option would be to let her just have the plate, then she wont sue. The fact is vanity plates are here to stay.

They came easily say "yeah no more vanity plates, those that ha them are grandfathered in".

You are implying that suing because a freedom is selectively available is a bad thing.

It's not, maybe I should sue her.

They came easily say "yeah no more vanity plates, those that ha them are grandfathered in".

And other's can just as easily sue. The fact still remains, they are here to stay. Just because you think they are a waste of money or anything else is an opinion limited to you.

Read it again. The tag doesn't say "atheist", it says either "ate theist" or "hate theists", which is probably why it was rejected.

ooh, a hatist (or was it hateist?)

Read it again. The tag doesn't say "atheist", it says either "ate theist" or "hate theists", which is probably why it was rejected.

that's one way of looking at it, another would be "8th eist". Another would be 8 is a play on the letter A, just as 1 is for I. It's all about interpretation.

My favorite plate I seen on the internet was A55 _ RGY  the plate was from Florida and had a orange in the middle where the _ is :D

I think the problem is here that some people might find it "offensive". Personally, I don't find any need to advertise my atheism but to argue someone, somewhere might find it offensive is a nonsense reason to reject it.

If it was profanity or racist (FCKYOU) (H8JEWS) or something like that then you could see the reason.

Anyway, it doesn't look like atheist, it looks like ate theist. Or 8 theists. :s

Suing because she can't get her license plate the way she wants, is a reason.

I think suing because an Atheist license plate was rejected, but a Christian one was approved is a valid reason.

I think suing because an Atheist license plate was rejected, but a Christian one was approved is a valid reason.

Is it? 8THEIST doesn't even sound like Atheist... Eight-theist...

I think suing her because I can, since apparently everyone is suing for stupid ####, is a valid reason or should I sue as well since I can't get the license plate "Jihad".

Is it? 8THEIST doesn't even sound like Atheist... Eight-theist...

I think suing her because I can, since apparently everyone is suing for stupid ####, is a valid reason.

8th-eist.

Now it sounds like Atheist. She is suing for a valid reason. You can't sue somebody for literally nothing. Your "comparison" makes no sense.