Microsoft profit slides on slumping PC sales

MICROSOFT said its fiscal third-quarter profit had declined 6.5 per cent, dragged down by slumping personal-computer sales and a sales-boosting adjustment a year earlier for software upgrades.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/wall-street-journal/microsoft-profit-slides-on-slumping-pc-sales/story-fnay3ubk-1226895572032

yeah, sure Microsoft, its all because those pesky PC makers can't sell PCs. Nothing to do with the software they run!

Yeah? Why not post an entire article instead of the very first clickbait heading that uses stupid words like "slide" ?

(Reuters) - Microsoft Corp (MSFT) said on Thursday fiscal third-quarter profit fell slightly as sales of personal computers continued to slide, hurting its consumer business, but it still managed to beat Wall Street's pessimistic forecasts.

The world's largest software company reported quarterly profit of $5.66 billion, or 68 cents per share, compared with $6.05 billion, or 72 cents, in the year-ago quarter.

The decline was exaggerated by deferred revenues boosting the year-ago figure, and the latest quarter's profit beat Wall Street's average estimate of 63 cents per share, according to Thomson Reuters I/B/E/S.

Sales fell 0.4 percent to $20.4 billion, meeting analysts' average estimate.

"We would characterize these results as solid in a choppy IT spending environment," said Daniel Ives, an analyst at FBR Capital Markets. "The company benefited from less PC headwinds in the quarter, which helped the overall bread and butter Windows business and contributed to a good top-line performance."

http://www.ibtimes.com/microsoft-msft-beats-wall-streets-estimates-fiscal-q3-although-sales-fall-1576093

Yup $5.66 billion in profit, beats estimates, stock up $1 (2.6%) in after hours trading

Yeah? Why not post an entire article instead of the very first clickbait heading that uses stupid words like "slide" ?

http://www.ibtimes.com/microsoft-msft-beats-wall-streets-estimates-fiscal-q3-although-sales-fall-1576093

Yup $5.66 billion in profit, beats estimates, stock up $1 (2.6%) in after hours trading. Clearly doom and gloom :rolleyes:

Itz coolz teh hates da M$.  All the kids are doing it.  You didn't get the memo?  :woot:

Good job Microsoft.  I will say this over and over again, when Microsoft is focused, they bring forth results.

Terrible OS design for desktops, no new functionality. The only reason to purchase the OS is when the old desktop dies - at that point most go for an Android or Apple tablet, I mean who would go for Windows - there have been terrible feedback from such and such in the office!

Terrible OS design for desktops, no new functionality. The only reason to purchase the OS is when the old desktop dies - at that point most go for an Android or Apple tablet, I mean who would go for Windows - there have been terrible feedback from such and such in the office!

That bad huh?

Oh you know, only ~80% of the desktops/laptops on the planet. Not many.  Lol.

SUCH AND SUCH said that? OH NO! It must be true.

• Like 2

The only thing terrible is how poor a job Microsoft has done in educating users how to use Windows 8. When trained and shown how to customize the Start Screen, users see and enjoy the benefits and the time-savings. It's mainly when people attempt to apply their old methods of using a computer without objective (and dare I say, positive) guidance that you have negative feedback.

Instead of the "Hi" and "You can get new apps from the store" messages, a program should start that guides users in customizing their Start Screen with the programs, apps, people, websites, and content that matters to them. When people without a pre-conceived bias are shown how to do this, they generally like Windows 8.

-Forjo

• Like 3

The only thing terrible is how poor a job Microsoft has done in educating users how to use Windows 8. When trained and shown how to customize the Start Screen, users see and enjoy the benefits and the time-savings. It's mainly when people attempt to apply their old methods of using a computer without objective (and dare I say, positive) guidance that you have negative feedback.

Instead of the "Hi" and "You can get new apps from the store" messages, a program should start that guides users in customizing their Start Screen with the programs, apps, people, websites, and content that matters to them. When people without a pre-conceived bias are shown how to do this, they generally like Windows 8.

-Forjo

My job actually exists because of Windows 8 I feel. I help bridge the gap for people to be able to get behind Windows 8. The problem is that I feel a lot of this shouldn't need explanation. I shouldn't get calls simply because someone can't figure out how to close an application.

Microsoft should have bridged the gap better, and it sucks when you're trying to sell a computer that has bad reviews, only for the reviews to be about Windows 8 and absolutely nothing to do with the hardware at hand. :/

No idea what is bad about the OS design for windows. Have no problem at all and it's just sad I'll be stuck with that horrible and cluttered useless start menu soon just because a bunch of nitwit clowns decided to blow up a storm on a none issue.

Windows 8 is by far superior to any previous OS, it runs smoother and on more hardware than 7 and 'just works' ..

Good luck using your Android or Apple tablets for any serious productivity work. All they do is basically be controllers for other hardware. And no, I did not miss the release of 'Office' for iPad.. I suggest you do a proper 1:1 compare with Office running on a Windows platform, including the tablets.

Most of the people providing the 'bad feedback' are going on hearsay and have not even really used windows 8. Just like with Xbox the loud minority managed to force MSFT to take out some innovative and great features or water them down. And I'll give you that MSFT is in part to blame for still not being able to sell their own product at their worth.

Yesterday after MS' earnings announcement, there were people making comments such as "They said that Microsoft was doomed." Others replied back with comments such as "Who said that" implying it never happened.

This is an example of one of those people who said "Microsoft is doomed" and you can find a good number of others that like it. But the next time around it will all be forgotten, and the attacks will start again.

My job actually exists because of Windows 8 I feel. I help bridge the gap for people to be able to get behind Windows 8. The problem is that I feel a lot of this shouldn't need explanation. I shouldn't get calls simply because someone can't figure out how to close an application.

Microsoft should have bridged the gap better, and it sucks when you're trying to sell a computer that has bad reviews, only for the reviews to be about Windows 8 and absolutely nothing to do with the hardware at hand. :/

You are absolutely correct. Microsoft has done a VERY poor job educating users. They should have worked harder to ease the transition.

In your example, for instance, Microsoft could have actually TOUTED "and new in Windows 8, don't WORRY about closing applications. We'll manage that for you. Just click or press the Start Flag to find your next destination."

But the OS was never properly introduced. So people resort to hating what they don't understand.

-Forjo

We already knew PC sales were in decline. The decline started before Windows 8.

Think of the PC decline before Windows 8 like a helium balloon slowly starting fall to the ground. Then think of "Windows 8" as a bazooka shot at that already in-trouble balloon.

• Like 2

I don't see Windows existing in 5-10 years. It's just obsolete these days.

Thats just so laughable I would say windows going to around a long time.  In fact it will probable grow once windows 9 comes out.  Tablets disposble things. Not many people use them for serious work. In fact look at apples ipad sales they look to be going down. 

• Like 3

Thats just so laughable I would say windows going to around a long time.  In fact it will probable grow once windows 9 comes out.  Tablets disposble things. Not many people use them for serious work. In fact look at apples ipad sales they look to be going down. 

Do people use smartphones for serious work? And how many of those are sold each year? The point being, serious work only makes up a tiny proportion of computing devices. Most of them are for content consumption and entertainment.

And even if that were the case, there's nothing stopping someone from docking their tablet or phone into a large screen and keyboard. They'll always be a place for high-end devices, but it will become more niche over time. Linux and OS X can easily fill that requirement anyway.

The only thing terrible is how poor a job Microsoft has done in educating users how to use Windows 8. When trained and shown how to customize the Start Screen, users see and enjoy the benefits and the time-savings. It's mainly when people attempt to apply their old methods of using a computer without objective (and dare I say, positive) guidance that you have negative feedback.Instead of the "Hi" and "You can get new apps from the store" messages, a program should start that guides users in customizing their Start Screen with the programs, apps, people, websites, and content that matters to them. When people without a pre-conceived bias are shown how to do this, they generally like Windows 8.-Forjo

So, users need to be guided on how to turn Windows 8, back into 7 .... :p

The point being, serious work only makes up a tiny proportion of computing devices. Most of them are for content consumption and entertainment. *snip *They'll always be a place for high-end devices, but it will become more niche over time. Linux and OS X can easily fill that requirement anyway.

Chuckling as I read this from my Windows tablet. Considering millions of people are using it for 'serious' work, millions of people are paying money hand over fist for gaming consoles instead of buying Flappy Bird, companies are even paying through the nose to make sure their XP systems which should have been dead and buried a few years back are still workable.. And wait.. you're saying Windows is going to be replaced because it's an outdated desktop paradigm... and it'll be replaced by Linux and OSX. Two other desktop OS's? Brilliant.

So, users need to be guided on how to turn Windows 8, back into 7 .... :p

Mm they did do a rather bad job with the transition with 8.0. "Hi!", which was essentially getting shoved into the deep end of the pool. Well, at least 8.2? 8.1 Update 2? Whatever it'll be called looks to get it back to something everybody's familiar with and then have the option to go the full Modern route if thats your thing.
  • Like 2

I don't see Windows existing in 5-10 years. It's just obsolete these days.

Windows as we know it today won't exist in 5-10 years, except for the people who refuse to stay current. There will still be a Microsoft computing platform though.

Windows as we know it today won't exist in 5-10 years, except for the people who refuse to stay current. There will still be a Microsoft computing platform though.

You can say that for everything Android and IOS will look very different then way they are now.

You can say that for everything Android and IOS will look very different then way they are now.

I'm not just talking about how it looks, I am talking about how Windows will be embedded inside everything from shoes to shower curtains.