Repainted, slightly modified Nintendo 64s

My friend's family owns a bunch of storage units in the area, and over the years he has come across a lot of abandoned game consoles. I got the crazy idea to fix them up, and paint them even though I don't really know how to paint. Here are two out of the five Nintendo 64s that I've completed. I did a lot of lurking on other threads and I found out that using automotive paint would get you the best results.

The Redbird

img2.jpg

Metro

img1.jpg

I even tried my hand at controllers too.

Before...

img5.jpg

After...

img3.jpg

img4.jpg

Ha. Awesome. They look slick. I painted a PlayStation glossy black years ago. I think I lost it in a drunken poker game.

The only thing I would suggest is that you use some sort of sealant for controllers. It would be a shame if you go to all that trouble just to have the paint come off on peoples' hands.

• Like 2

My friend, you are very modest about your painting skills because that N64 and controller look amazing. Great job with those and keep up the good work. :)

For someone that "doesn't really know how to paint" it looks slick! Nice job. (Y)

Thanks! And I'm better at painting now than I was two months ago when I started. My first go at it was on a Gamecube using Valspar spray-paint. It came out horrible. Orange peel and everything. The pictures make it looks great, but it's really not. It still smells like a can of paint two months later.

gc1.jpggc2.jpg

So I over compensated with LEDs!!!

gc3.jpg

I watched a few videos on wet sanding, and I almost have it down. These things take a week at a time to do with my actual job, and waiting for everything to dry. 

Ha. Awesome. They look slick. I painted a PlayStation glossy black years ago. I think I lost it in a drunken poker game.

The only thing I would suggest is that you use some sort of sealant for controllers. It would be a shame if you go to all that trouble just to have the paint come off on peoples' hands.

The controller has a few coats of, "automotive grade," (acrylic lacquer) clear coat over it. I've been playing Mario Kart 64 for over a month with it, and it's still holding up. I might need to apply a thicker coat on the next one I do. 

I want my GameCube painted the same blue color as that N64 controller WILL U DO 4 ME PLZ

It's Dupli-Color's Perfect Match Bahama Blue. I love it. PM me, and I'll see what we can arrange. I have a GC I have to pick up from my friend who is supplying me with the consoles. We maybe able to do a swap.  

That two-tone N64 controller is sexy as ####, omfg.

She puts out on the first date too!

My friend, you are very modest about your painting skills because that N64 and controller look amazing. Great job with those and keep up the good work. :)

Thanks! I'll keep at it!

DAAAAAMN. That Red N64 is SEXY!

:blush:  That's because it's cardinal red. The best red ever!

Here's a Bahama blue N64 I haven't finished.

20140506_024348167.jpg

These are ######ing awesome, well done.

I deeply regret parting with my old consoles, particularly the Nintendo consoles (NES, SNES, N64, GameCube)

That's cool. How much does your average project cost?

Sorry for the delayed response. Each project varies. It's $7.50 for 8 ounces of paint, and each N64 takes a little over that just to get a good coat, and for any touch ups needed if stuff gets into the paint. Then you're looking at $1.50 worth of clear coat, and probably $5 for sandpaper and other materials. So I would say $21 is a good average for a painless prep, paint, clear coat, sanding, and wax job which takes several days to do. This average doesn't include the cost of the console or controller. I think a Nintendo 64 sells for an average of $30 on eBay, and the official controller sells for $15-$20. 

• Like 1

I love automotive paint on my PC.   If I had a console, I would totally want it done up like that!