Google is testing a completely redesigned Gmail interface

post-23147-0-62342700-1399755196.png

Gmail may soon look nothing like the Gmail we all know so well. Google has invited a select group of users to test a completely new interface for the webmail client, according to Geek.com, which appears to be part of the trial. The test version of Gmail ? which may never see an official release ? dispenses with design elements that have been present from the very early days of the email service. Most notably, the unwieldily sidebar has been replaced with a slide-in pane. Buttons like "compose" have been moved to the bottom right corner, and it looks like there's another new feature down there: reminders. Just like on Android, you should be able to tell Google to let you know about a date in the future or to respond to a certain email. Hangouts, of course, are also integrated into the design. And cosmetically, there are major changes afoot that make the interface look right at home next to Google Now.

Source: http://www.theverge.com/2014/5/10/5704452/screenshots-suggest-google-is-testing-a-completely-redesigned-gmail

I dont use gmail, but for some reasons this design looks cool, but for mobile mode only.

yea i don't think this will see the light of day. then again this looks like a very early concept. Google's track record with Gmail's UI is pretty good. It looks too mobile centric at the moment.

I dont use gmail, but for some reasons this design looks cool, but for mobile mode only.

I'm pretty sure there isn't a single phone that doesn't have a mail client anymore... that's all gmail is useful for anyway. 

Look at all the space for ads! Google will probably go this route, using all the ads from their promotions tab.

• Like 3

Looks fine to me. It's like the new Google Maps - simple but elegant. Not that I use Gmail, mind.

I wonder if there's a way to track how many people actually visit the web page for GMail versus how many people iMap/POP into it from client software like Outlook/Thunderbird/Evolution.  I know the only time I use the web interface is if I'm away from home.

Wonder if it's like on YouTube where you can click the menu thingy at the top and hide, unhide elements as you see fit 

I wonder if there's a way to track how many people actually visit the web page for GMail versus how many people iMap/POP into it from client software like Outlook/Thunderbird/Evolution.  I know the only time I use the web interface is if I'm away from home.

I know most of my mail is done on the phone or tablet, rarely go into the web interface anymore 

I switched away from gmail because I hated its weird non-standard IMAP implementation :/

I switched away from gmail because I hated its weird non-standard IMAP implementation :/

That's cool, but all the others blow chunks as an email service, so I've stuck with Gmail for quite a while now

Because IMAP assumes folders. Unfortunately, everyone that implements standard IMAP also uses folders, which really sucks compared to labels.

Because IMAP assumes folders. Unfortunately, everyone that implements standard IMAP also uses folders, which really sucks compared to labels.

I'd much rather use folders than deal with the quirkiness of labels with IMAP.

• Like 1

That's cool, but all the others blow chunks as an email service, so I've stuck with Gmail for quite a while now

Outlook is better.

• Like 2

I'd much rather use folders than deal with the quirkiness of labels with IMAP.

I'd personally use folders over labels any time. more sense, more organized and you can still tag them.

Looks like outlook to me ... btw why does google dislike using the full screen

only if you remove 4/5ths of the outlook interface and make it extra hard to use 

I think it looks fine? With the left side menu you've basically got everything you had before in a nice, clutter-free UI.