KDE ships version 5.2 of plasma next workspace

Plasma 5 is almost as ugly as Windows 10. It's equally colorless, plain and insipid.

I have no idea why open source developers and designers decided to copy the worst of the computer design world.

-----------------------

Best Linux distro in 2015.

I for one am really digging plasma 5 (using plasma 5.2 under fedora 22 alpha).

Always thought Windows 7 has the best Taskbar among competing DEs (OSX, KDE, Gnome, Unity, Cinnamon).

Now KDE not only has a great icon-only-taskbar but also much more flexible than the other DEs.

Love the clean design, didnt like the default theme but a few minutes of customization and its the best DE I've ever used.

And Dolphin is the best file manager I've tried so far.

KDE 5 is going places!

They just gotta nail down the instability / graphical flickers but it could be on my end.

@malivore

The icon-only taskbar for KDE distros has been out since years (since 2011 according to this )

And Dolphin is the best file manager I've tried so far.

can only agree with you here. no FM will ever come close to dolphin me thinks.

more impressions from my side:

i start to like the new icons, they seem to look more consistent now:

03_04_2015_1.jpg

also, breeze icons for libre-office now:

also visible in the taskbar

03_04_2015_2.jpg

new (breeze) icons for kdenlive too

03_04_2015_3.jpg

03_04_2015_4.jpg

03_04_2015_5.jpg

03_04_2015_6.jpg

breeze icons for digikam

03_04_2015_7.jpg

03_04_2015_8.jpg

breeze for yakuake as well

03_04_2015_9.jpg

according to the source 150 new libreoffice icons have been designed.

Plasma 5 is almost as ugly as Windows 10. It's equally colorless, plain and insipid.

I have no idea why open source developers and designers decided to copy the worst of the computer design world.

Well ... I assume there are plenty of others that enjoy this '' style '' .

Also , If you don't like Plasma KDE 5 & 5.x , go back to its old version or use Cinnamon . 

Well ... I assume there are plenty of others that enjoy this '' style '' .

Also , If you don't like Plasma KDE 5 & 5.x , go back to its old version or use Cinnamon . 

Yea, cinnamon with Minty Theme = sexiness.

Plasma 5.2 on Kubuntu 15.04 is still far, far too flaky for me yet. Lots of weirdness going on for being this late in the game (Beta 2 + bugfixes, nearing RC). Themes are still VERY troublesome, and even the included Breeze Dark theme isn't applying correctly, for example.

Lots of broken stuff between Beta 1 and Beta 2, a step backwards in a lot of ways. Just a lot of strange things going on there. Might need to pass on KDE/Plasma 5.2 as well, Jack. It's just not stable enough for Snapshot's standards, but maybe you can fix it (who knows).  :/

but maybe you can fix it (who knows).  :/

hehe thanks for your great trust Betaguy, but remember, if i could fix kde 5.2 bugs on my own, complete kde developer team would be out of work :shiftyninja:

probably a lot of problems caused by the breeze theme could be avoided if just using an older theme like the oxygen one or qt-curve or be-spin.

all the other stuff, which is deeper in the system code, i have no idea about it i am afraid.

I'm assigned to another (pretty big) project right now, and will be assigned to that for at least two years. The good news is that Neowin users (including Linux) will have first crack at Beta testing. :)

I'm assigned to another (pretty big) project right now, and will be assigned to that for at least two years. The good news is that Neowin users (including Linux) will have first crack at Beta testing. :)

You're in the top , then .

Congrats and good luck with it .

• 2 weeks later...

KDE Plasma 5.3 Beta Arrives With Improved Power Management Features

plasma-5.3-beta-750x422.jpg

Kubuntu 15.04, due later this month, will be the first stable release of the distro to ship with the new KDE Plasma 5 desktop environment as default. 

Exciting stuff, I

Still looks like they have a journey ahead of them before it can be considered completely reliable. My guess (stability-wise) would be Plasma 5.5 before it'll be worth taking another look at it. 5.2 was a good start but it was a mess once the user started digging deeper. That's something the KDE people need to keep working on.

At least it was pretty. ;)

Its hideous.  They should learn from Apple really.

If they want to be sued into oblivion, sure. Apple Lawyers are known for their hideousness too.

Its hideous.  They should learn from Apple really.

it's always fascinating for me if people call linux and it's countless desktop interfaces (kde/unity/gnome/xfce) hideous.

ok, someone does not like the default design or that some come with abi word instead of libre office or with gimp instead of pinta and so on... but you can easily add and remove any program you want with the package manager. you don't risk any viruses.

design wise:  you can - quite easily - make Kubuntu look like macosx or windows, or something in between or make it look like something completely else.  minimalistic, normal, feature and option rich, anything goes. try the qtcurve theme and check it's options. that's just sick and MUCH more than what even the most expensive verison of windowblinds could ever offer.

now do that with windows past xp or with mac osx. good luck. and enjoy your new wallpapers. :D

If they want to be sued into oblivion, sure. Apple Lawyers are known for their hideousness too.

Man , you just made my day with that .  :laugh:

it's always fascinating for me if people call linux and it's countless desktop interfaces (kde/unity/gnome/xfce) hideous.

ok, someone does not like the default design or that some come with abi word instead of libre office or with gimp instead of pinta and so on... but you can easily add and remove any program you want with the package manager. you don't risk any viruses.

design wise:  you can - quite easily - make Kubuntu look like macosx or windows, or something in between or make it look like something completely else.  minimalistic, normal, feature and option rich, anything goes. try the qtcurve theme and check it's options. that's just sick and MUCH more than what even the most expensive verison of windowblinds could ever offer.

now do that with windows past xp or with mac osx. good luck. and enjoy your new wallpapers. :D

I had the same oppinion when a classmate told me he hates Linux because of its way of looking ...

For me , obviously , it's a challange as much as it's different and I always liked major differences ...

Windows & OSX got their noses in front but I still enjoy that everyone can build his own visually - looking Ubuntu and so on ...

Last , haters gonna hate .

• Like 1