KDE ships version 5.2 of plasma next workspace

Ugh always hated the wobbly windows. The cube was cute as it only shows up when you actually tell it to (and somewhat serves a purpose even though I prefer the desktop wall for that), but wobbly windows.. eesh. Looked cheezy back in the Compiz/Beryl days, novelty wore off fast and hasn't improved over the years. But *shrug* to each their own, there's very few desktop effects I keep enabled myself, prefer it simpler.

i think if someone likes it simpler, kde is not the interface of choice anyway. just look at dolphin. i love this filemanager, because i can add a button for nearly any function, i can modify a lot and it has an integrated terminal as well. everything looks and feels advanced and for me its rather have too many choices than too little.

back to plasma next, kde has announced the winners of the wallpaper contest:

5.jpg

6.jpg

Dance_of_the_Spirits_by_white_dawn.png

the first 2 look like many of those you can find on deviantart, but i really like the 3rd one. the color effect looks good, could be a bit brighter and lighter in general.

and:

klipper progress

NWy00yR.jpg

Why didn't you try Kubuntu? It's Ubuntu with KDE integrated. Is neon supposed to be better?

It's been long time since i was working with KDE last time. That was KDE 3.x.

Where to start now. What' the difference between Kubuntu and Mint KDE?

It's been long time since i was working with KDE last time. That was KDE 3.x.

Where to start now. What' the difference between Kubuntu and Mint KDE?

Mint is based off Ubuntu, but it has all the multimedia capabilities installed by default, there is a no codec and Debian based versions but I didn't see a KDE version of the Debian one 

That

klipper progress

NWy00yR.jpg

I don't like that checkbox style here - it reminds me one of windows style "partially selected" mode:

BXkQv.png

Classic V mark would be much better.

Mint is based off Ubuntu, but it has all the multimedia capabilities installed by default, there is a no codec and Debian based versions but I didn't see a KDE version of the Debian one

I know it's based on Ubuntu that's why asking what is principal difference? The principal difference between Ubuntu and Mint is Unity vs Cinnamon. But comparing KDE version of Ubuntu with KDE version of Mint Ubuntu is quite more complicated thing.

What kind of codec? And couldn't you install it from repositories?

about kde: most people say you get the best kde experience by runnig it via arch linux (not that easy) or using netrunner (easier) or also openSuse is often mentioned. 

if you got a little time reading in 2013 there was a big review of most kde distros

here

besides the multimedia codecs which can as well installed on ubuntu/kubuntu by clicking on an option during setup, mint has its own package/update manager. 

2-update-manager.jpg

as you see mint differs between update-levels and afaik level 4 and 5 are disbled by default therefore holding back critical updates. you can enable this ofc but most dont even know. 

personally i use kubuntu and would recommand anyone to do so, because its widely supported and has a great community.

I have a testing and old IBM laptop... The A20 which is like 15 years old. It has 512mb of ram and 700 mhz for the processor. Do you guys think I can run this KDE on it?

I have a testing and old IBM laptop... The A20 which is like 15 years old. It has 512mb of ram and 700 mhz for the processor. Do you guys think I can run this KDE on it?

it probably can run kde on it but dont expect it to be any fast. 2gb, some dual core cpu and a decent graphics adapter is what i would like at least to have to run kde.

that laptop should however fly with lubuntu and being fast ennough with xubuntu. 

Installed Kubuntu on VMware. Added ppa:kubuntu-ppa/next. But it says no updates available. Still on KDE 4.13.1.

Is there anything specific on ppa:kubuntu-ppa/next, like nice Canonical themes? Or better to go straight to ppa:neon/kf5?

Installed Kubuntu on VMware. Added ppa:kubuntu-ppa/next. But it says no updates available. Still on KDE 4.13.1.

Is there anything specific on ppa:kubuntu-ppa/next, like nice Canonical themes? Or better to go straight to ppa:neon/kf5?

this depends on what you want? if you want to have just the latest 4.13.2 either wait a bit till its in the official repos, or you can also safely add

ppa:kubuntu-ppa/ppa

to your repos. this should upgrade 13.1 to 13.2

ppa:neon/kf5

is for project neon / plasma next and will not replace your current kde installation but add another option to the login screen.

thats the framework. i doubt you can even use it without having installed project neon.

use this site:

http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Using_Project_Neon_to_contribute_to_KDE

the ppas given there are working just fine.

Now it's even more complicated. There are Install Project Neon and Install Project Neon 5. Isn't Neon is what is "KDE5" itself?

First wouldn't install. Brings a lot of errors

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
project-neon-base : Depends: project-neon-bluedevil but it is not installable
Depends: project-neon-kate but it is not going to be installed
Depends: project-neon-kde-base-artwork but it is not installable
Depends: project-neon-kde-baseapps but it is not installable
Depends: project-neon-kde-wallpapers but it is not installable
Depends: project-neon-kdeplasma-addons but it is not installable
Depends: project-neon-kmix but it is not installable
Depends: project-neon-konsole but it is not installable
Depends: project-neon-kwallet but it is not installable
Depends: project-neon-minimal but it is not going to be installed
Depends: project-neon-networkmanagement but it is not installable
That's clean install of Kubuntu 14.04

can you just reset your ppa sources to default first please?

then use the following repo

http://ppa.launchpad.net/neon/kf5/ubuntu/

all the needed files should then be listend in synaptic or muon and be called like:

project-neon5-xxxxxxx

try to select 

project-neon5-plasma-desktop

afaik that was the one i have chosen and it should automatically install all dependencies. if you want to be safe install all project-neon5-xxxxxx files.

then log out, and on loginscreen you can chose between normal kde desktop and project neon 5.

Yeah, installed via ppa:neon/kf5

But it's very buggy here. Lots of graphical corruptions. Picture constantly scatters. And System Panel has little inside. Can't even change resolution - no display settings. But if i try it by resizing the vmware window, shell just crashes.

yep i got the graphical glitches here as well since yesterday. as this was not there before i think its just temporarely. you should always remember that its still beta and nowhere near final yet, so bugs are expected and kde relies also on users reporting the bugs (this goes really well for me)

screen resolution can be changed you just have to know where to look for. its in screen and display... there is a grey box representing your screen and there is also a symbol showing available screen resolutions...

i am on kde4 atm, but here is how it looks like

MtEM6b4.jpg

do you run it in virtualbox? then there is maybe no option to change the screen resolution. it can be done by installing the addons coming with virtualbox but i have no idea if this works in a beta version of plasma too. don't expect anything special - also considering the graphical effects - when running in virtual box.

^ I have this on KDE4, but not on KDE5.

It's VMWare Player. Drivers installed and works well in Mint Cinnamon and KDE4. Much better than VirtualBox graphic drivers, which I find quite laggy.

i cant really help you there then sorry. i just made the experience that some things never work as they should in a virtual machine. ever tried to run win 8 there? this for example makes my system to crash completely.

better install the system standalone not in a virtual machine or live with the limitations.

Yeah Windows 8 was unstable on VMWare back in time. It's on my VBox, yet that's for specific functional reasons.

Launched the image on VBox. It's loaded. Installed VBox tools. Rebooted. And got empty desktop. Something appears for a few seconds if resize VBox window, but then disappears again.

KDE4 works with no problems.

Isn't it supposed to go final just in 2 weeks?

btw, what's that skin?

http://i.imgur.com/Jyh8tXv.png

thats the breeze skin ... afaik will be the default skin for plasma next. :)