Hum

David Cincotta was going about his business at a gas station in North Babylon, N.Y., last month when he noticed something troubling: a car rolling backward.

Cincotta, 43, ran after the car, managed to get inside, and put on the brakes before the vehicle could roll onto the street and into oncoming traffic, all of which was caught on tape by a security camera.

Cincotta, a father of six, spoke to WABC in New York about hearing the screams of the kids and giving chase. "I didn't even think," he said. "It was just 'Go.'"

What make's Cincotta's heroics even more impressive is his medical condition: Cincotta can't run.

"I have neuropathy up through my hips from diabetes, so I trip a lot, just walking," Cincotta said. "So for me to run, any of my friends who saw the video were like, 'I never seen you run like that.' Me, neither."

Gas station worker Naqqash Chaudhry told WABC, "I have no doubt in my mind that car would have been hit and those kids would have been injured."

The security footage shows the children's mother initially giving chase, but falling to the ground. The car then rolled over her leg. Cincotta jumped into the car and stopped it.

Cincotta told WABC that he hasn't talked to the mother since the incident last month, but that she did thank him profusely. "She gave me a big hug. She was crying, 'Thank you, thank you, thank you.'"

Despite the car having rolled over her leg, the mother reportedly suffered only minor injuries.

source & video

+warwagon

1511963311_shell_2007_001_girl_running_a

Hum

^ Oh my -- what a big brake you have.

Jose_49

This is another reason which I use the hand break when parking the car.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By zikalify
      Uber announces help for New York restaurants and workers
      by Paul Hill

Uber has announced that Uber Eats users located in New York will be able to contribute to their local restaurants during checkout in order to help them during the on-going COVID-19 outbreak and subsequent economic hardship. Every donation that is made will be matched by Uber who will pay into the Restaurant Employee Relief Fund up to a total of $5 million.

Uber's contributions will help the Relief Fund provide $500 grants to eligible restaurant workers including couriers working on apps like Uber Eats, who have been squeezed financially. Uber has confirmed that once it has experimented with the program in New York, it will expand it to cover the whole of the U.S., possibly as early as next week. Additionally, it wants to roll out the program to other countries where it serves customers.

Commenting on the news, Paul Barker, owner of Pauli’s North End in Boston, MA, and Uber Eats partner, said:

Earlier in the month, the firm revealed that it was scrapping the Delivery Fee for more than 100,000 independent restaurants across the U.S. and Canada on its Uber Eats platform. As a result, it has seen a significant increase in orders to independent restaurants since mid-March. It also revealed that restaurants looking to keep delivery orders coming have been signing up to the platform at ten times previous rates.

• By Jay Bonggolto
      Ring makes two-factor authentication mandatory for all users
      by Jay Bonggolto

Ring announced today two extra security measures meant to help you fend off unauthorized access to your account and beef up privacy. The company says it is making two-factor authentication (2FA) mandatory for all user logins and is introducing more tools to limit the information you share with third-party service providers.

2FA has long been available for all Ring accounts. Starting today, however, you will need to verify your login attempt each time you sign in using a new device. The verification comes in the form of a six-digit code you'll need to enter before your access gets approved. That code will be sent to your registered email address or phone number. The goal is to prevent unauthorized access and know when someone else is trying to take hold of your account. This also applies to all shared users on your account.

Ring is also bolstering user privacy with new options in the new Control Center meant to restrict the things shared with third-party service providers. Starting this week, Ring users can choose not to share information with third-party advertisers. For those who will opt out, that means they will no longer receive personalized ads, although non-personalized ads will still be visible every now and then.

Additionally, the Amazon-owned service has paused the use of most third-party analytics services in the Ring apps and website as it works to let you opt out of those services in the Control Center. More options for limiting the information you share with third-party service providers are coming in early spring.

• By zikalify
      Uber launches ‘Make My Train' to alleviate commute stress
      by Paul Hill

Uber has noted that people get stressed in the morning as they juggle various apps to plan their trip into work across different modes of transport. To assist commuters, Uber has launched ‘Make My Train’ which will show riders the train schedule of participating train stations and will allow them to select the train they want from within the Uber app. The data is sourced from real-time transit data so riders will know if there have been any delays.

Riders can choose how much time they want to havebefore the train leaves when they arrive at the station by and Uber will sort out the rest. Today, the feature will arrive on the U.S.’ largest commuter rail systems: the Long Island Rail Road (LIRR) in New York and Caltrain in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Using the feature is simple, just follow these steps:

Enter the station name as your destination Choose the train you want to take Select your target drop off time (or use the recommendation) Schedule a ride in the Uber app (except UberPOOL) and Uber will pick you up and get you to your station As governments around the world begin to encourage people to ditch their cars in favour of public transit as efforts are ramped up to tackle climate change, tools like ‘Make My Train’ will become more important in order to give people a seamless experience across transport types.

Uber has not issued a schedule for when 'Make My Train' will be rolled out to other areas.

• By News Staff
      Save 70% off this iPM World 360-degree 1080p wireless IP security camera
      by Steven Parker

Today's highlighted deal comes via our Gear + Gadgets section of the Neowin Deals store, where you can Save 70% off this iPM World 360-degree 1080p wireless IP security camera. Stream panorama views of your space to your phone and keep an eye on anything from your dog to your belongings.

What's the deal?
      Home security cameras are designed to give us peace of mind, but all that goes out the window if a hacker manages to tap into your feed. Offering complete video encryption, this HD panoramic camera ensures your footage stays private, all the while giving you 360 degrees of uncompromising viewing potential. Access live streaming from you iOS or Android phone, and even turn the camera's angle right from the app. It's everything you need to feel good about leaving home.

Keep tabs on your living space w/ 360° panoramic views View footage from your smartphone w/ the WiFi client View footage day or night w/ infrared night vision Keep your footage private w/ multiple encryption protocols Rotate the camera w/ your phone to get the perfect angle Fit it anywhere thanks to its compact size
      Good to know
      Ships To Contiguous US Expected Delivery: Nov 23 - Nov 26 All sales final. For a full description, specs, and terms, click here.

What's the benefit?
      This his iPM World 360-degree 1080p wireless IP security camera set normally costs $139.99 , but you can pick it up for just $39.99 for a limited time - that represents a saving of $100 (70%) off!

There's also an optional 1- or 2-year warranty you can add to your purchase.

>> Click here to purchase or learn more <<
      See all discounted Gear + Gadgets on offer. This is a time-limited deal.

Save even more!
      Stick with Neowin Deals and earn credit or even deeper discounts.

Check out our recent deals here or on the Neowin Deals site. For every $25 spent, you get $1 credit added to your Neowin Deals account. Refer the deal for $10 credit via social media or email and if it results in a purchase of at least $10, you'll get $10 credit added to your account. 10% off for first-time buyers: be sure not to dismiss the popup offer to subscribe to email updates on the deals page in order to profit! Not for you?
      If this offer doesn't interest you, why not check out our giveaways on the Neowin Deals website? There's also a bunch of freebies you can check out here.

No, your privacy was not breached at NordVPN (see why).

Miscellany and the fine print!
      In some cases, such as with Online Courses, a store credit refund within 15 days of purchase is possible if you are unhappy with it; this does not apply to all deals, so please do check the terms on the page before making a purchase.

Check our other recent deals, before they expire, or our preferred partner software for Private Internet Access and NordVPN deals.

How can I disable these posts? Click here.

Disclosure: This is a StackCommerce deal or giveaway in partnership with Neowin; an account at StackCommerce is required to participate in any deals or giveaways. For a full description of StackCommerce's privacy guidelines, go here. Neowin benefits from shared revenue of each sale made through our branded deals site, and it all goes toward the running costs. *Values or percentages mentioned above are subject to StackCommerce's own determination of retail pricing.

• By indospot
      Netflix is investing in a new production hub in New York
      by João Carrasqueira

Image credit: Bloomberg Netflix is opening a new production hub in New York City, Governor Andrew Cuomo has announced (via TechCrunch). The hub will include an expanded office in Manhattan which will create 127 "high-paying" jobs in executive content, marketing, and production development by 2024. There will also be six sound stages in Brooklyn, which will be capable of holding thousands of production crew jobs in the next five years. In total, Netflix could be investing as much as $100 million in the city.

Netflix has been betting more and more on its original content, and for good reason. Apple recently announced its Apple TV+ subscription service, which is seeing huge investments from the Cupertino company to create original shows from well-known actors and producers, including Steven Spielberg, Oprah Winfrey, and more.

All the while, Disney, which has pulled some of its content from Netflix, has recently shared details of its own streaming service which will include some of the biggest shows and movies in the industry, including the Marvel universe and Star Wars. With what might well be the two biggest threats the service has faced, Netflix has more reason than ever to prepare to produce more content.

The move is good news for New York, too. Governor Cuomo had hoped to bring in new jobs with the opening of Amazon's second headquarters, but the deal faced heavy opposition and eventually fell through. While the 127 new jobs in Netflix's Manhattan office are a far cry from the 25,000 that were supposed to be brought by Amazon, the news will likely still be welcome, especially seeing as Netflix currently only employs 32 people in New York. To reward the creation of jobs, Empire State Development will be paying the firm $4 million in tax credits over the next ten years.