Bruce Smith breaks all time sack record

Bruce Smith set the record for alltime career sacks today. After 19 seasons, out of the graduating class of 1984, he broke the record. Should there be a limit on how many years you can play for this record? I'm just not feeling how special this record is made out. But never the less, he is averaging 10 sacks a season, which is almost a sack a game, which doesnt look bad on paper. ;)

,Dec 8 2003, 01:13] congrats to him, but I must say that reggie white is still my fav

Agreed. Had Reggie played right into the NFL as opposed to the USFL, that record would be out of sight. Playing 19 years is way too long.

I thought he just tied the record, but still that is a long time to get that record and since I like reggie white I'm disappointed his record didn't stand up.

Good for Bruce tho, maybe now he can retire lol

I thought he just tied the record, but still that is a long time to get that record and since I like reggie white I'm disappointed his record didn't stand up.

Good for Bruce tho, maybe now he can retire lol

haha really.... i mean think of his knees and body - its got to be tore up :pinch:

It is when a defensive player tackles the Quarterback behind what's called the 'line of scrimmage'. That is the line where the ball was 'snapped', or put into play.

For example. The play starts at the QB's 40 yard line, and the Quarterback is tackled at the 35, that is a sack.

On a more serious note...does anyone else really not care about this record? Yes it's nice and all that he got it, but he stuck around just to get it. And really, Deacon Jones probably would have put the record out of reach.

On a more serious note...does anyone else really not care about this record? Yes it's nice and all that he got it, but he stuck around just to get it. And really, Deacon Jones probably would have put the record out of reach.

This is very true. Deacon Jones really owns this record. His sack (amount) is huge.