Bruce Smith breaks all time sack record

On a more serious note...does anyone else really not care about this record? Yes it's nice and all that he got it, but he stuck around just to get it. And really, Deacon Jones probably would have put the record out of reach.

Yeah, but Hank Aaron did pretty much the same. By the time he broke the Babe's record he was pretty much done as far as complete player. I think that longevity can't be snubbed - it really takes somehting special both physically and mentally to play long in football (unless of course you are a kicker, but they aren't really football players anyway :D ).

Yeah, but Hank Aaron did pretty much the same. By the time he broke the Babe's record he was pretty much done as far as complete player. I think that longevity can't be snubbed - it really takes somehting special both physically and mentally to play long in football (unless of course you are a kicker, but they aren't really football players anyway :D ).

Aaron still hit 40 HRs in 1973, at age 39. that put him at 713, one shy of the babe. now, he only hit 42 more home runs in the final 3 seasons of his career, but all he did in those years was extend the record, he was still a very good player when he broke the record.

True you can't discount a player for longevity and actually producing for an extended period of time but what I was implying is that the "sack" didn't become an official stat until 1982 so they never kept track of it. Deacon played from 61-74 (I think) and from what I've read had over 200 "sacks" if the stat had been recorded during his career.

I was implying is that the "sack" didn't become an official stat until 1982

True. No one ever measured anyone's sacks before that time. Now, one's sack capabilities is very important when identifying a players qualities. :whistle:

True. No one ever measured anyone's sacks before that time. Now, one's sack capabilities is very important when identifying a players qualities. :whistle:

hahaha. i should get my sack measured! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

they should have specail scales to measure the sacks. maybe they could even rig him with sensors the measure the full impact the sack has

:huh:

ROFL! good one baby.

What's interesting is when two men share a sack. They only get credit for a half a sack. That's when things really get weird. I mean, either you have a sack, or you don't. We don't share sacks. That's just silly.

What's interesting is when two men share a sack. They only get credit for a half a sack. That's when things really get weird. I mean, either you have a sack, or you don't. We don't share sacks. That's just silly.

true.

you have to have the utmost respect for the qb though. getting hit constantly by all those sacks. a true test of manhood

HAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAA

/me saves this topic locally.

That's right. Remember Michael Strahan? I remember Brett Favre just giving Strahan his sack. That was just wrong.

That was terrible, QB's need to run from the sack not towards it :blink:

HAH! I'm laughing like John DiMaggio on a Futurama DVD commentary!!

That's right. Remember Michael Strahan? I remember Brett Favre just giving Strahan his sack. That was just wrong.

he just laid down and let strahan sack him... hahahaha