Steam Summer Sale 2014

Sold about $10 worth of cards yesterday and got the Bioshock Triple Pack this morning. I doubt I'll get as much today but I should be able to buy something else.

Machine for Pigs and Outlast are on my radar for now, going to get MfP for sure, will see if Outlast goes on a heavier discount.

Machine for Pigs and Outlast are on my radar for now, going to get MfP for sure, will see if Outlast goes on a heavier discount.

Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs is a daily deal today, -75% :)

So far i've bought :

Risk of rain

Shadowrun xpac

Super Meat Boy

Anno 2070 complete edition

Xcom Enemy Within

Don't Starve

Gunpoint

Tiny and Big

Spent about 40$ USD. I think i sold for about 3$ of cards so it will cover part of the exchange rate. I don't plan to buy any other games for the next 6 months after the sale so i'll probably spend another 20$ or at the very worst 30$ before the end. Never played Arkham City and Asylum so if i can get them for around 5$ each i might buy them. Keeping my eyes on Dear Ester, The Banner Saga, Swapper, Lifeless Planet, Alan Wake's xpac, Guacamelee, Braid, Spelunky, To The moon, Skyrim Dragonborn, Fallen Enchantress dlc and Magicka. Wont buy all of them of course.

Almost bought Amnesia The Dark Descent but after watching reviews i figured out hiding in a closet and running away for a whole game was not really for me.

• Like 1

God damn Valve's stupid regional restrictions. Can't use my Swedish card while I'm in Macedonia, and all money in the Steam Wallet are locked to Sweden. I guess I'll be skipping stuff from Steam until I return to Sweden.

God damn Valve's stupid regional restrictions. Can't use my Swedish card while I'm in Macedonia, and all money in the Steam Wallet are locked to Sweden. I guess I'll be skipping stuff from Steam until I return to Sweden.

Steam have improved with regards to IP locking, but yes, still a ways to go...they don't care where your account is from, they only care where your card is from and you have to be in the same location as your card's ORIGIN. To use Souls speak, visions of annoyance and in short how dare you travel and cross made up IP regions, how dare you sir! I too know all too well the pain of he who challenges the system by committing the rebellious act of working overseas.

Click that funky Summer Adventure gameboard under Flash sales and then "try it out" (or something, I don't remember). You'll be randomly assigned.

Not that it matters. Unless you buy games and cards in metric tons and craft badges a crapload, you just stand there and watch the numbers. In absence of better things to do, apparently.

Thanks for explaining it to my stupid brain, I think I get it now. So it's a fun way to try and get you to buy more, which is fine. I have no idea how to craft badgers, I mean badges, and have been a Steam user since 2004 on various accounts but am still level 5, which I think is kinda low. Guess i'm not active enough in the community, being a recluse and all :wacko:

So far i've bought :

Risk of rain

Shadowrun xpac

Super Meat Boy

Anno 2070 complete edition

Xcom Enemy Within

Don't Starve

Gunpoint

Tiny and Big

Spent about 40$ USD. I think i sold for about 3$ of cards so it will cover part of the exchange rate. I don't plan to buy any other games for the next 6 months after the sale so i'll probably spend another 20$ or at the very worst 30$ before the end. Never played Arkham City and Asylum so if i can get them for around 5$ each i might buy them. Keeping my eyes on Dear Ester, The Banner Saga, Swapper, Lifeless Planet, Alan Wake's xpac, Guacamelee, Braid, Spelunky, To The moon, Skyrim Dragonborn, Fallen Enchantress dlc and Magicka. Wont buy all of them of course.

Almost bought Amnesia The Dark Descent but after watching reviews i figured out hiding in a closet and running away for a whole game was not really for me.

Amnesia is actually the better of these passive aggressive hide and seek simulators, much better than Outlast and the horrible Daylight. Worth it if it shows up again. Forty bucks is getting there man, to quote Astrid from Powerstar Golf "please use caution" :D

So far haven't bought a single item, am quite proud of my self restraint though already having bought most of what I want is likely a factor

Do they ever put new games on sale? Rise of Nations is the only game I'm willing to buy this sale but it doesn't look like it's gonna be on discount soon.

Do they ever put new games on sale? Rise of Nations is the only game I'm willing to buy this sale but it doesn't look like it's gonna be on discount soon.

They put them on sale, but usually they revert to their pre-order price. You won't see a month old game at 50/66/75% etc.

Steam have improved with regards to IP locking, but yes, still a ways to go...they don't care where your account is from, they only care where your card is from and you have to be in the same location as your card's ORIGIN. To use Souls speak, visions of annoyance and in short how dare you travel and cross made up IP regions, how dare you sir! I too know all too well the pain of he who challenges the system by committing the rebellious act of working overseas.

Thanks for explaining it to my stupid brain, I think I get it now. So it's a fun way to try and get you to buy more, which is fine. I have no idea how to craft badgers, I mean badges, and have been a Steam user since 2004 on various accounts but am still level 5, which I think is kinda low. Guess i'm not active enough in the community, being a recluse and all :wacko:

As you play games, trading cards will automatically drop and be added to your inventory. Each game has a limited amount of drops available from playing, the rest you either need to trade for, buy in the market or wait for a booster pack to randomly drop. Once you have the full set you can craft the badge. After crafting the badge you'll receive chat icons, wallpapers, vouchers etc and in the Steam Summer Sale you'll also earn points towards your designated team. The more badges you collect will increase your Steam Level, which increases your friend count limit and adds "showcase" sections to your profile for customizing.

Full FAQ

• Like 1

They put them on sale, but usually they revert to their pre-order price. You won't see a month old game at 50/66/75% etc.

Actually, we have seen sales where news games are heavily discounted. If memory serves me there was a substantial discount on Max Payne 3 shortly after release and at least a couple of others, though they are the exception.

Actually, we have seen sales where news games are heavily discounted. If memory serves me there was a substantial discount on Max Payne 3 shortly after release and at least a couple of others, though they are the exception.

Don't remember that. You sure it wasn't a price error which was later fixed?

Seeing as Rise of Nations came out around the same time as Age of Mythology HD, I imagine it will match the 40% off when it goes on sale, at most.

Edit: Just checked MP3 and it was 50% off, but priced at $60 RRP :laugh: So big discount but probably one of the most expensive items on the store.

Don't remember that. You sure it wasn't a price error which was later fixed?

Seeing as Rise of Nations came out around the same time as Age of Mythology HD, I imagine it will match the 40% off when it goes on sale, at most.

Edit: Just checked MP3 and it was 50% off, but priced at $60 RRP :laugh: So big discount but probably one of the most expensive items on the store.

AoE 2 HD is such a scam. Selling a 16 year old game at the price of a new game. Same goes with Rise of Nations. It may be new to Steam but it came out some 10 years ago. And it's HD patch is not a big deal, I remember playing it on a 1080p and it looked just great.

But well, it seems I won't be buying it anytime soon then.

About Max Payne 3 - it was indeed heavily discounted shortly after it's release and that's when I got it :p Twas some 8? if I recall correctly.

• Like 1

AoE 2 HD is such a scam. Selling a 16 year old game at the price of a new game. Same goes with Rise of Nations. It may be new to Steam but it came out some 10 years ago. And it's HD patch is not a big deal, I remember playing it on a 1080p and it looked just great.

But well, it seems I won't be buying it anytime soon then.

About Max Payne 3 - it was indeed heavily discounted shortly after it's release and that's when I got it :p Twas some 8? if I recall correctly.

That was probably the price during the Winter sale. It was $60 discounted to $30 in 2012's Summer Sale.

But anyway, the point is that new games don't have the same heavy discounts that the rest of the store has. And apparently even when they do, ala MP3, it's still $30 :p

That was probably the price during the Winter sale. It was $60 discounted to $30 in 2012's Summer Sale.

But anyway, the point is that new games don't have the same heavy discounts that the rest of the store has. And apparently even when they do, ala MP3, it's still $30 :p

Yeah, but that's huge for a AAA game that's only just been released. It has happened with a few others as well, though as pointed out it's the exception rather than the rule.

Was going to get Monaco but found out i already had it :laugh:

Bought it as a gift for my brother anyway. At ?1.20, you can't go wrong with it.

As you play games, trading cards will automatically drop and be added to your inventory. Each game has a limited amount of drops available from playing, the rest you either need to trade for, buy in the market or wait for a booster pack to randomly drop. Once you have the full set you can craft the badge. After crafting the badge you'll receive chat icons, wallpapers, vouchers etc and in the Steam Summer Sale you'll also earn points towards your designated team. The more badges you collect will increase your Steam Level, which increases your friend count limit and adds "showcase" sections to your profile for customizing.

Full FAQ

Thanks for the info, have been aware of trading cards since they launched and have quite a few of them in my inventory, but i just look at them when they unlock and that's it. Not interested in the trading, though it's a neat activity for people who enjoy swapping, bartering and so on.

So far have not bought a single item, something i am perversely proud of - even though it's not a good thing

Thanks for the info, have been aware of trading cards since they launched and have quite a few of them in my inventory, but i just look at them when they unlock and that's it. Not interested in the trading, though it's a neat activity for people who enjoy swapping, bartering and so on.

So far have not bought a single item, something i am perversely proud of - even though it's not a good thing

If you're not interested in the cards you can sell them on the market, they may not be worth much on their own but if you have enough of them it soon adds up. :)

• Like 1

If you're not interested in the cards you can sell them on the market, they may not be worth much on their own but if you have enough of them it soon adds up. :)

Thanks, that's something to consider heheh, though i did put two of the first ones i got up for sale and never heard from anyone. It's all good, i'm glad people are enjoying it. If nothing else it gives folks more opportunity to interact, which is always good. And helps build an identity for Steam, which is also great.

Thanks, that's something to consider heheh, though i did put two of the first ones i got up for sale and never heard from anyone. It's all good, i'm glad people are enjoying it. If nothing else it gives folks more opportunity to interact, which is always good. And helps build an identity for Steam, which is also great.

If you want a quick sale set the price one less than what it currently sells for, it'll show up at top of the list. :P

• Like 1

If you want a quick sale set the price one less than what it currently sells for, it'll show up at top of the list. :p

Might give it a spin to see what happens, can't hurt. Money is money so why not? :D

whats todays daily deal?

Check the OP, I update the image every day. Change the last digit to see the previous days too, for reference.

The first 2 mistakes of the sale made today:

1: Battleforge is up for community vote but the servers shut down yesterday - Hopefully they replace it and offer something else.

2: Battleblock Theater was 75% on Day 4 but if you buy the 'Can't Stop Laughing Bundle', you get it with Castle Crashers for 90% off (?2.74 vs ?1.89).

• Like 1