Match 32: USA vs Portugal

9 members have voted

1. 1. USA, Portugal or draw?

• USA
    • Portugal
    • Draw
  2. 2. How many goals will the USA score?

• 5+
  3. 3. How many goals will Portugal score?

• 5+

The match will be held at the Arena Amazonia, Manaus. Kick-off is at 18:00 local time. (For the kick-off time in your time zone click here.)

Referee: Nestor Pitana (Argentina)

My guess: USA 1 - 2 Portugal

Well consideringly how shockingly Portugal played, and that USA beat Ghana...

I'll say that USA will win... 2-1

I'll say USA 1 - 2 Portugal

I'm going with 2-1 also with USA coming out on top. I don't think USA is so great but they aren't bad for how well they did against other better teams.

It's 1-1 now, but I doubt USA will keep it like this to the end. Portugal will probably win 2-1.

Edit: looks like I was wrong, 2-1 for USA! Great game! :)

Edit 2: Damn, too bad for USA. They had the victory in their hands.

What is going on in this World Cup  :|, the scores for so many games are going the opposite to how most people think. 

edit: 2-2 good equaliser in the last second, glad it was a draw, neither team really deserved to win.

Such a tough game. Lots of luck and bad luck for either side.

Now we have to win against Ghana by a lot and hope that the US loses against Germany. There's still a chance, albeit a very slim one.

Varela saves the day but we can still beat our worst performance in a world cup with a draw and two losses. Postiga getting injured 10 minutes into the game (he's a terrible player but it cost us a sub), Eder being way too green for that game, Danny not making the team due to a personal grudge, soooo many things going wrong at the same time.

Such a tough game. Lots of luck and bad luck for either side.

Now we have to win against Ghana by a lot and hope that the US loses against Germany. There's still a chance, albeit a very slim one.

We have to win against Ghana and score a lot of goals since we would tie the USA for points with a win. So goal difference would be the deciding factor and we're at a severe disadvantage due to the 4-0 from Germany.

What is going on in this World Cup  :|, the scores for so many games are going the opposite to how most people think. 

Like I said before, this is what makes it fun to watch :) There are many surprises for me too, obviously, but I can see why some of those results happened. There are teams with great individuals that are stars at their club teams, but in the national team they're 0. It's like Messi at his team, he always sucked, but look at his club career. He needs players to feed him balls, you can't always rely on his personal actions, like his goal vs. Iran. 

On the other hand, there are teams like Ghana, US, Costa Rica, very low rated, that give use the most beautiful matches. Why? Because they feel no pressure, they're "outsiders", underdogs, so they play their best thinking they have nothing to loose. And look at the results so far :) While I don't expect any of them to win the cup, the fact that they made it this far and had such incredible results over much better rated teams (and also the show they put on) makes me say, once again, congratulations.

• Like 2

What happened to the US defense in the last few minutes - they were definitely slacking...

Germany is pretty much advancing now.  Even if they lose against USA, they will advance based on goal differential, unless USA destroys Germany 4-0. 

Portugal has slim chances of advancing. They'll probably loose or draw to Ghana, based on what I've seen today. Also, Germany will probably win against USA, but I'm not entirely sure about this. At this WC, all bets are off.

Portugal has slim chances of advancing. They'll probably loose or draw to Ghana, based on what I've seen today. Also, Germany will probably win against USA, but I'm not entirely sure about this. At this WC, all bets are off.

True - USA and Germany draw? Both Ghana and Portugal are done regardless.

There's no real pressure on Germany - or even the US for that matter.  However, the bigger off-pitch pressure is on the German side - while they did shut out Portugal, that draw against Ghana has to be galling.

The US (despite that extremely late goal by Portugal) have proven to be possessed of a nasty counterattack that can drive a defense - especially an understrength one, such as Portugal - quite cuckoo; remember, both US goals against Portugal came off of Nani misplays.  How strong is Germany's defense?  (Dempsey is NOT the only offense the US has any more - Bradley, Beasley, and especially Jones, have proved that.)

And you're right about THIS Cup - all bets are off, given merely who has already been shown to their planes.

Also, Portugal DID have incentive; yes, they could only have been bounced during group play for only the second time ever - however, the other ejection came at the feet of the USA side in 2002.  (And if the US merely ties, let alone beats. Germany, it will be the US pink-slipping them again.)