The future of Blackberry... a Square ugly phone

I must respectfully disagree. Metro consists of both squares and rectangles.

6708.Start_2D00_screen_5F00_793B53ED.png

area01.jpg

Square

noun
noun: square; plural noun: squares
1. a plane figure with four equal straight sides and four right angles.

rectangle.gif

Rectangle

noun
noun: rectangle; plural noun: rectangles

1. a plane figure with four straight sides and four right angles, especially one with unequal adjacent sides, in contrast to a square.

I believe that this is exactly what I had written. Also, your comment about all current phones being flat and rectangular is simply not true. Look at some of the images posted in this topic for examples . . .

. . . Good golly, Miss Molly. I am sorry that I had even posted in this topic. I didn't know there were members who were so passionate about the design of a phone.

And a square is a rectangle.

Your claim is still as invalid now as when you made it, a square phone is no more metro than any other rectangular phone(all of them)

• Like 2

You're comparing a POS LG to a BB? I am sure that BB will know how to make a phone right. This is going to work very well for businesses. 

I'm glad that you're sure but nobody else is. BB has haemorrhaged market share and both consumers and business users have shunned them in favour of Android and iOS. The company went from complete dominance to utter irrelevance. This device is different for the sake of being different - it doesn't look at all practical.

• Like 2

You're comparing a POS LG to a BB? I am sure that BB will know how to make a phone right. This is going to work very well for businesses.

Haha LG is doing better than Blackberry (RIM) at the moment. LG knows how to make a phone - why do you think Google went to LG for the current and last Nexus devices? I don't know a single Blackberry user anymore. Everyone in my business and friends who did have BB, they moved to either Android or iOS. If this phone does it for you, enjoy it! :) I don't think this will take off in the way you think it is and definitely won't sway business users.
  • Like 2

And a square is a rectangle.

Your claim is still as invalid now as when you made it, a square phone is no more metro than any other rectangular phone(all of them)

First you write that Metro isn't square and that it's "simplified rectangle." I had shown you the difference between the two geometrical shapes, but then you write that a square is a rectangle?

When I made the comment about the square phone looking like Metro, I thought of the device's sharp corners, et cetera. Although their screens are rectangular, most phones have rounded corners.

I do not understand why you must persist in your attempt to show me how I was wrong.

BB may be too late, the two large companies I have been involved with in the paint industry both used BB in the past. All their store managers, sales force, upper management used BB. The end of last year they have switched to various other brands, mostly android.PPG Industries and Benjamin Moore are the 2 companies. Lowe's has switched to iphones in the stores.

First you write that Metro isn't square and that it's "simplified rectangle." I had shown you the difference between the two geometrical shapes, but then you write that a square is a rectangle?

When I made the comment about the square phone looking like Metro, I thought of the device's sharp corners, et cetera. Although their screens are rectangular, most phones have rounded corners.

I do not understand why you must persist in your attempt to show me how I was wrong.

I didn't say simplified rectangle. The metro style is simplified or rather minimalist and square.

And of course a square is a rectangle... a square is an equal sided rectangle... seriously...

And no a lot of phones today have sharp edges, nearly the full Sony range among others.

No I'm rather wondering why you think this phone that looks nothing like the modern design language looks like its part of modern... just because something is square doesn't make it modern...

Tardos breaking down the semantics of a square and rectangle with simple diagrams like we're in elementary...

I just want to see someone hold one next to their head so I can laugh at it.

Hahahah really?  That thing will be loads of fun to get into your pocket, not to mention extremely uncomfortable to hold.

I didn't say simplified rectangle. The metro style is simplified or rather minimalist and square.

That would be fine and well except for the fact that you did say Metro is simplified rectangle.

And of course a square is a rectangle... a square is an equal sided rectangle... seriously...

And yet the two shapes have different definitions.

No I'm rather wondering why you think this phone that looks nothing like the modern design language looks like its part of modern... just because something is square doesn't make it modern...

You misinterpret what I had written. I did not write that it "looks like it is part of Metro". What I did write was that its design was consistent with mobile operating system UIs.

Tardos breaking down the semantics of a square and rectangle with simple diagrams like we're in elementary...

I just want to see someone hold one next to their head so I can laugh at it.

I'm sorry madd-hatter, but if that's what it takes . . .

That would be fine and well except for the fact that you did say Metro is simplified rectangle.

And yet the two shapes have different definitions.

He never said "simplified rectangle". He said "simplified rectangular".

Squares are a subset of rectangle.

He never said "simplified rectangle". He said "simplified rectangular".

Squares are a subset of rectangle.

I don't know about "subset", but a square is a rectangle. A rectangle has four sides with corners with 90 degree angles and opposite sides are parallel and equal length, that's really the end of the definition. a Square has 4 "equal" sides. Therefore a rectangle is not always a square, but a square is always a rectangle.

Having said that, I also agree the thin, flat, clean, square or rectangular shape fits with Modern UI design elements. Flat, square or rectangular, yes, visually the square phone fits that, mainly because of the omission of rounded corners combined with the flatness and square shape. It has a modern design that is in-line with the Modern UI aesthetic.

I just think a square phone is physically impractical. A mini-tablet maybe, but holding a square phone, sounds like a bad idea to me.

Microsoft Kin one was square phone and that fail.

At least there trying to be different. If they succeed or not, time will tell. 

I can see the screen resolution being better for web pages, video, presentations, and word processing. 

At least there trying to be different. If they succeed or not, time will tell.

I can see the screen resolution being better for web pages, video, presentations, and word processing.

They try to appeal to businesses but the problem is that these folks are trying to move away from Blackberry. Where I work they provide phones to their employees and they only use Android and iPhones.

Yes, they know how to make phones right. That's why they're a market leader in the world of smart phones.

Oh, wait... :rolleyes:

While it may not be appealing to some, the square design is consistent with modern mobile operating system user interfaces (Microsoft's Windows Phone 8 UI, etc).

Not to mention that I don't think it looks bad at all. BlackBerry knows its target market and I think this will sell well.

BlackBerry knows its target market and I think this will sell well.

Yes, they know pretty sure their target market that it's shrinking every year more and more.

I actually like the look of it. The UI isn't anything new or unique, but it's clean and looks nice.