Why Get a Dog When There's the Jibo Family Robot?

Jibo is definitely the droid you're looking for: Friendly, helpful, and intelligent, the desktop device is being called "the world's first family robot." But Jibo needs your (crowd-funded) help to truly bring your Jetsons dreams to life. Interested customers can visit this Indiegogo page and contribute as little as $7 to make Jibo a reality.

With two high-resolution cameras, 360-degree microphones, and natural language processing, Jibo can see, hear, learn, help, speak, and relate to all members of your family.

But you'd better act fast if you want a robot of your own. By early Wednesday afternoon, the Indiegogo campaign surpassed its $100,000 funding goal, and sold out of the $99 early-bird-special.

And while excited consumers also tapped out the first rounds of $499 Home Edition and $599 Developer Edition Jibos, the company swiftly added another set of 100 each.

For less than the price of an unlocked iPhone 5s, you can purchase the home-edition robot, a JiboAlive Toolkit, and a t-shirt?expected to ship by the 2015 holiday season. Throw in another $100, and the developer edition will arrive in September 2015, with early access to submit content for the Jibo Store.

Keep an eye on the Jibo crowdfunding site through Aug. 15 for more perks and updates from the company, which is aiming for an early-2016 full public release.

"We've achieved greatness in the computing and social media revolutions," Jibo CEO Cynthia Breazeal said in a statement. "The next wave, emotive computing, is upon us and Jibo is a transformative, social and emotive robot that will help people thrive like part of the family."

Source: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2460981,00.asp?kc=PCRSS03069TX1K0001121&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ziffdavis%2Fpcmag%2Fbreakingnews+(PCMag.com+Breaking+News)

MIT Research Lab and they use a voice that sounds like its from the 70s ?

I agreed, sounds like pee wee herman... lol. Hopefully before they release this product to the public, they can add the option to customize the voice.

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with.

What if technology treated me like a human being? I'd stay stone's throw away from said technology. There's a reason why I don't like human beings.

• Like 2