Iraq behind the cameras

An interesting article...the quote is just a few lines of it

Iraq behind the cameras: a different reality

By TARA COPP

Scripps Howard News Service

December 05, 2003

BAGHDAD, Iraq - It's a little-known footnote in postwar Iraq that an unassuming Army Civil Affairs captain named Kent Lindner has a bevy of blushing female fans.

Every time Lindner checks in on the group of young, deaf Iraqi seamstresses at their factory here, the women swarm him with admiration. "I love you!" one of them writes in the dust on Lindner's SUV.

Such small-time adoration is not the stuff of headlines against the backdrop of a country painfully and often violently evolving from war. So on this day, when Lindner and his fellow soldiers are cheered as they fire the deaf workers' boss, a woman who has been locking the seamstresses in closets, holding their pay and beating them, the lack of TV cameras on hand is no surprise.

But later that night, mortars hit nearby. Cameras are rolling, and 15 minutes later folks back home instead see another news clip of Baghdad's latest violence. It's a soda-straw view that frustrates soldiers, like those in Lindner's Civil Affairs unit, who are slowly trying to stitch together the peace while the final stages of the war play out on television.

i saw on the news today a french cameraman in a car with 3 iraq'ies.. they got out of the car and shot a RPG towards our base..

Still cant believe no one commented on your post. Its pretty interesting.

Still cant believe no one commented on your post. Its pretty interesting.

thats because the only place i've seen this talked about is one post on neowin.net, not exactly world class reporting. more like rumor-headquarters.

thats why no one has commented. well, except me. coz i'm a bast*rd. :shifty:

not many people read this stuff on the weekends....

Yeah, no kidding.

Prelude69, you still havent commented neither. I found it funny no one came in and discredited the comment on having a frenchy in the car with a bunch of Iraqis firing RPGs at our base. Dont you think its odd :whistle:

Kinda like the driver for a bank robber, eh?

Driving is a helpful for getting away, filming them committing the crime then releasing that tape to person they committed the crime against is not.