Woman who stopped to save ducklings, ticketed

A woman who stopped on a New Hampshire highway :huh:  to help a group of ducklings whose mother had been struck and killed by a car :cry:  should've been commended by police for her compassion. Instead, she was given a ticket. :o 

Hallie Bibeau, a 33-year-old from Newfields, N.H., was driving east on Route 101 in Brentwood on Friday when she saw the ducklings.

"I could hear them peeping, and I looked over ... the right-hand side of the road, and I saw that their mom had been hit and was dead on the side," Bibeau told WMUR-TV. "I couldn't just continue on."  :no: 

Bibeau called 911 and waited for police to arrive.  :yes: 

"While I was sitting there, I saw a few of them try to go to the westbound lane and got run over," Bibeau said. "It was terrible to see."  :pacifier: 

She got out of her car to scoop up two of the injured ducklings.

When a state trooper showed up, he gave Bibeau a $100 ticket for stopping in the median, a restricted area.  :omg: 

"We keep our medians free for vehicles who are truly having an emergency," state Police Lt. Nicole Armaganian told the ABC affiliate. "Stopping for an injured duck or ducklings is not what we would consider to be an emergency."  :ike: 

Bibeau, a new mom herself, says she plans to contest the ticket.  :innocent: 

"For the mom that had gotten hit, I just wanted to do whatever I could for her ducklings,"   :unsure: she said. "And if I could save two of them, I could save two of them."  :) 

Sadly, one of the ducklings later died, wildlife officials said. :(

source & video

Edited by Steven P.
missing emoticons

I can see the point of it being illegal to stop in the median, but still, the cop could've showed some compassion himself, especially if the lady wasn't causing any blockage of the road or a dangerous situation herself. Stupid prick, cop! Hope she wins when she contests her ticket.

• Like 3

People forget so soon about the 2 that died recently for someone stopping for the very same reason.

Not really saying it is different...but it is different.  The lady you are referring to stopped in the fast lane.  This lady stopped in the median so she was out of traffic.

People forget so soon about the 2 that died recently for someone stopping for the very same reason.

Each situation should to be treated separately. The ducklings could quite easily have caused a bigger incident by crossing the road and animal life should be protected where practicable. In situations like this officers should apply common sense, rather than just being jobsworths.

• Like 2

Had I been "that cop" I would have helped her get to safety as I was helping her get the ducks to a proper pond or institution. The only reason this made any sort of news is there were ducklings and an azzhole in the story.  :)

I love baby ducklings too, in fact all wildlife, but this is a really dumb thing to do.