Microsoft's most boneheaded product is about to be killed off

Windows RT was one of their best products. The fact people want to run Legacy applications on a tablet is absurd. Applications that do not have any DPI management, power management or any touch friendly controls. Enforcing the Windows store was not that bad.

Whatever. ARM is something Windows needs to embrace.

• Like 2

The article mentioned in the OP is written by an idiot, who obviously doesn't appreciate how important the work on Windows RT was, to get the shared kernel onto Windows Phone.  Whilst the marketing for the ARM build of Windows was a mistake, and the final implementation was half-baked.  Windows on ARM will remain as there will be one Windows OS, which will adapt to the form factor of the devices it is running on.

It seems clear to many, that future ARM tablets/phones/phablets will run on ARM chips, and will run more like the current Windows Phone shell, touch only, and legacy things like the desktop, will be gone.

Anybody know if Microsoft has any good efforts for car systems? I know a lot of car systems now are customized things running on top of windows CE or something, but with the stuff Apple and Android are doing it seems like Microsoft is going to fall behind again =/

Metro would be the most desperate, most despised, and most boneheaded 'product.'

How is it "desperate" or "despised" when it is transforming the industry? 

• Like 2

Maybe it's true, but I hardly think anybody goes out to buy a mobile phone just to play games on.

And I didn't say that they did - however, as much as some of us are being Pharonic about it, the hard data is rather blunt and uncaring about that.  (Developers aren't ignoring it, either - PopCap's rather obvious turn toward devices is making that rather plain; PopCap was THE largest casual-game developer for Win32 - however, they have developed a mere TWO casual/semi-casual games for Win32 since the launch of Windows 7, and neither is Win32-exclusive.)

Lastly, how many times thave folks here on Neowin stated - rather pointedly - that specific apps, including games - availability, that is - DO influence their choice of phone/tablet?

That is, in fact, THE biggest part of the three-way-war between Android/iOS/Windows Phone - app (including game) availability.

Availability (or lack of) in terms of an app or game can seal (or break) a purchase of a phone or tablet - Microsoft, Google, and Apple (Windows Phone, Android, and iOS, respectively) ALL know this - so do developers.  So to the ODMs.  Why are some of us (as device users) so clueless as to forget it when we are the ones DRIVING the trend bus?

Anybody know if Microsoft has any good efforts for car systems? I know a lot of car systems now are customized things running on top of windows CE or something, but with the stuff Apple and Android are doing it seems like Microsoft is going to fall behind again =/

MS has a system for cars that are far more widely adopted than android. Ford had it in all cars with a display. Sync or something.

How is it "desperate" or "despised" when it is transforming the industry? 

Let's see. Four years out but smartphone market share dead at 3% worldwide. You may like that metro crap but hardly anyone else gives a damn.

Let's see. Four years out but smartphone market share dead at 3% worldwide. You may like that metro crap but hardly anyone else gives a damn.

I'm sure there are others who like Metro besides him (I like certain aspects of it). Do you have a better idea besides Metro or do you think Microsoft should just give up and be destroyed by the competition?

How is it "desperate" or "despised" when it is transforming the industry

I respect your opinion, but the way you phrase your posts always makes you sound like a Microsoft PR Rep.

Market share is hardly an indicator of anything of the sort. Not sure why you're so angry at it.

Depends on what aspect of metro.  The flat look, fine.  The tiles, NTY.

This takes me back...but based on my experience, there's probably more software designed for NT that ran fine on XP than not.  All the software I wrote for it back then worked fine without even recompiling.

Here is an earlier (FAR earlier) example - Windows 95 (both during its beta and after it went RTM) and NT.  They had a TON of software in common - in fact, most NT-based applications and utilities would run on 95 (and later 98 and SE) absolutely untouched.  All of my applications and utilities since beta 2 of Windows 95 (other than Office and Internet Explorer) came from NT; not some, or most, but all.  Games that didn't use DirectX could make the trip in the OTHER direction (Microsoft's FIRST commercial game for Windows 9x - Fury3 - would run on Windows NT 3.51 Workstation untouched - by design.) - this was something I showed to customers that ran NT at work, and also did some experimenting with it at home because they didn't want to have to deal with different look and feel at work vs. at home. (The UX battle indeed goes back to 95/NT 3.5, and it led DIRECTLY to Shell 2.0 - which originally released as an experimental add-on to NT 3.51, and became the default with NT 4.0 - and no, I didn't stutter when I said "NT 3.5", either.  NT 3.51 was a point release - larger than a service Pack, but it was different in being the ONLY point release in NT's history.  NT 3.51 (compared to NT 3.5) offered one monstrous feature - floppyless installation arrived for Intel and compatible CPUs (the /B switch) - this was the default for MIPS and DEC's Alpha, but few Intel-compatible computers (even those that could run NT, which was a rather large amount) could use it due to lack of qualifying hardware - until NT 3.51.  It was THIS version of NT that let me collect on a rather odd bet - install and run NT on a low-end 9x box.  The box in question was an AMD 386-40 - which started off as a Windows 3.x, and later IBM OS/2 2.1, PC, before going to Windows 95, and finally, NT 3.51.)

Apparently, there are still folks trying to "cage" Windows.

Metro isn't exclusive to smartphones dude.

And I didn't say that they did - however, as much as some of us are being Pharonic about it, the hard data is rather blunt and uncaring about that.  (Developers aren't ignoring it, either - PopCap's rather obvious turn toward devices is making that rather plain; PopCap was THE largest casual-game developer for Win32 - however, they have developed a mere TWO casual/semi-casual games for Win32 since the launch of Windows 7, and neither is Win32-exclusive.)

Lastly, how many times thave folks here on Neowin stated - rather pointedly - that specific apps, including games - availability, that is - DO influence their choice of phone/tablet?

That is, in fact, THE biggest part of the three-way-war between Android/iOS/Windows Phone - app (including game) availability.

Availability (or lack of) in terms of an app or game can seal (or break) a purchase of a phone or tablet - Microsoft, Google, and Apple (Windows Phone, Android, and iOS, respectively) ALL know this - so do developers.  So to the ODMs.  Why are some of us (as device users) so clueless as to forget it when we are the ones DRIVING the trend bus?

I don't know. My feeling is that it's a fad. Just my feeling though, I'm probably wrong.

I respect your opinion, but the way you phrase your posts always makes you sound like a Microsoft PR Rep.

It's true though, Metro concepts are being adopted by Apple and Google as well as other web companies.

though I agree RT was a bad move on MS's part, there are far more boneheaded moves they can take credit for.. such as the Zune, or MS Bob... or Windows ME :)

I guess those half a billion metro app downloads a month are just downloading themselves.

• Like 2

Metro isn't exclusive to smartphones dude.

I don't know. My feeling is that it's a fad. Just my feeling though, I'm probably wrong.

It's true though, Metro concepts are being adopted by Apple and Google as well as other web companies.

airedwin - how much of that *feeling* is based on you not owning a tablet or smartphone?  How much of that feeling IS, in point of fact, due to your own preferences (which need not necessarily have anything to do with logic)?

I own neither smartphone OR tablet - however, due to being the "family/household geek", I wind up supporting both - which means that I can't ignore them.

So far, I have not had a Windows Phone come through - same with WindowsRT-based tablets - which means exactly diddly.

However, the sheer amount of iDevices and Android devices (both smartphones and tablets) passing through means that ignoring the numbers would be silly, not to mention stupid, on my part, or the part of anyone else watching the parade.  While not IN the parade personally, I do have working eyeballs.

Reliance on emotion has been disastrous for me personally - in other words, relying on emotion alone has been bad, if not absolutely AWFUL.  That is why I no longer do - I research, fact-check, and back check as much as possible.  Everything - and especially anything to do with my "hot topics" of choice (IT trends, operating systems (not alone Windows), and world politics/geopolitics) gets the fine-toothed comb - and is also why I resent emotionally-driven arguments about any of it.

I'm not saying that I don't have biases - everyone does, including me - however, I refuse to let my biases get in the way of a logical evaluation.

airedwin - how much of that *feeling* is based on you not owning a tablet or smartphone?  How much of that feeling IS, in point of fact, due to your own preferences (which need not necessarily have anything to do with logic)?

I own neither smartphone OR tablet - however, due to being the "family/household geek", I wind up supporting both - which means that I can't ignore them.

So far, I have not had a Windows Phone come through - same with WindowsRT-based tablets - which means exactly diddly.

However, the sheer amount of iDevices and Android devices (both smartphones and tablets) passing through means that ignoring the numbers would be silly, not to mention stupid, on my part, or the part of anyone else watching the parade.  While not IN the parade personally, I do have working eyeballs.

Reliance on emotion has been disastrous for me personally - in other words, relying on emotion alone has been bad, if not absolutely AWFUL.  That is why I no longer do - I research, fact-check, and back check as much as possible.  Everything - and especially anything to do with my "hot topics" of choice (IT trends, operating systems (not alone Windows), and world politics/geopolitics) gets the fine-toothed comb - and is also why I resent emotionally-driven arguments about any of it.

I'm not saying that I don't have biases - everyone does, including me - however, I refuse to let my biases get in the way of a logical evaluation.

What I meant by feeling is that it's a guess and there I have no data to back it up with. My prediction is that mobile gaming is a fad and you will see it decline.

What I meant by feeling is that it's a guess and there I have no data to back it up with. My prediction is that mobile gaming is a fad and you will see it decline.

Although there is SOME data such as iPad sales and tablets in general have seen a slight decline.

I guess those half a billion metro app downloads a month are just downloading themselves.

It's Ok. It's better off that you cling on to ANYTHING positive for everything else is pretty much depressing with Metro LMAO. 

It's Ok. It's better off that you cling on to ANYTHING positive for everything else is pretty much depressing with Metro LMAO. 

258troll_spray.jpg