Good Games/Apps for a kid?

I'm giving my nephew a Zeepad 7" (don't hate me, it was free) to play with.  He's 4.5 years old and loves electronics and games. 

What do you guys recommend as far as games for him and some apps to lock-down the tablet?  I'm not sure if the tablet has root or not, so Xposed and other root apps might not be something I can do.

Thanks!

disney has a lot of learn to read apps that read to the kids.  after a few times turn off the audio reading and see if he can read by memory using the sight words.  Have him repeat the story either as it is playing or right after before turning the page tracing the words with your finger both during the audio reading and as he is doing it.  Perhaps not all of the words but the more common ones like "was" "the" "in" "and" "he" "she" "it" etc.  this will help him early on and give him a nice boost.  My 5 year old started with this when he was 4 to help with his speech, now he is reading pretty well on his own.  Match games are also good.  There are lots out there, just don't spend a ton of money on them.  The disney will cost but the majority are free. 

• Like 1

Hey thanks.  I didn't even think of reading apps for him.  I'll check out the Disney stuff and see what it's all about.  He loves dinosaurs, motorcycles, ATVs and Legos.  Anything along those lines would be great, too.

I have a kid who has speech and fine motor skills problems or at least had (well his speech could be a bit better he has come a long way and you can understand him now).  repetition and enforcement of repeating the words as they go are key.  anything that is trace or touch helps with their fine motor skills, teaching them that they just need to touch gently vs slamming their hand down on it.

• Like 1

You also might want to consider some puzzle games - develop his problem solving skills. Burn the Rope or even Angry Birds would be fun, and also help with that area. Or matching games of some kind.

I've played a game where you manipulate train tracks to get a train from one depot to the other. It'd be ideal for a kid, and help with problem solving, logic, etc.

• Like 1

Glad to hear your son is progressing.  Sometimes my neph can be a little had to understand with some words so maybe these apps can help with that.

I actually taught him from a very young age how fragile electronics can be.  Gave him a HTC Android when he was just under 2.  He took really good care of it; not a scratch on the body or a crack in the screen.  That's why I figure it's OK to give him a cheap tablet.

DConnell, thanks.  I'll look into Burn The Rope.  Any specific puzzle games you can think of?