Snapshot-Linux x64 v0.7

@BetaguyGZT

Yes you are right about the GTK+ / KDE issues. On the one hand it's pretty annoying and i hate to give such an answer (because i think linux should be about 100% compatibility) but when using a KDE based distro you might be better off with using QT4/5 based programs, as for browser i would give qupzilla a try, it integrates very well into KDE gui and is much more up 2 date compared to rekonq or konqueror.

And for the other things like fonts, etc. feel free to configure it the way you want :)

KDE offers endless options to have it your way.

My only two other complaints (if they can be called that) would be is when we create our own user account the setup from the default one (the nicely tweaked one) does NOT carry over, and we end up with pretty much raw Kubuntu 14.04. The menu entries lack all of the installed applications that are present on the default account.

If I recall correctly there's a way to automate default settings, themes and so on per user as the accounts are created but I can't remember how that's done offhand. Getting late and I can't be bothered to check tonight. ;)

The other is better handling of newer/updated Proprietary drivers. The way Linux in general approaches this is dumb. Please consider adding the X-Org Edgers PPA by default, since they do most of the work on the closed-source drivers now and I've never had an issue with any driver I've used from them ever. Let the user decide whether to install the driver or not. I simply add the PPA after updating the system, but it would certainly save a step. ;)

My only two other complaints (if they can be called that) would be is when we create our own user account the setup from the default one (the nicely tweaked one) does NOT carry over, and we end up with pretty much raw Kubuntu 14.04. The menu entries lack all of the installed applications that are present on the default account.

If I recall correctly there's a way to automate default settings, themes and so on per user as the accounts are created but I can't remember how that's done offhand. Getting late and I can't be bothered to check tonight. ;)

The other is better handling of newer/updated Proprietary drivers. The way Linux in general approaches this is dumb. Please consider adding the X-Org Edgers PPA by default, since they do most of the work on the closed-source drivers now and I've never had an issue with any driver I've used from them ever. Let the user decide whether to install the driver or not. I simply add the PPA after updating the system, but it would certainly save a step. ;)

you are right. due to limitations of the imager the default user account will be always default with pw default.

However there are a few ways to change/add users; to keep it simple i would go for command line like in this example:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AddUsersHowto

usermod should be installed by default (here it is):

open Konsole and type

man usermod

X-Org Edgers PPA

good idea, just wrote it on my to do sheet for v. 0.7.

only been a nvidia user since 2 weeks but using the edgers ppa myself.

about the add of the ppa i have no problem with it. see the list, you see a LOT of usefull ppas added already. but: i am sceptical about activating all by default. so i will add it and it can be actiavted with just one single click in the "sources" on muon or synaptic.

• Like 1

yep it's mine. and i can confirm the screenshots are from the current version 0.6. enjoy. :)

if you wanna know more about the project Snapshot-Linux is on FB and Google+ as well.

It has Plasma 5 KDE ?

It has Plasma 5 KDE ?

Just read the description ;)

jfyi: no kde plasma next yet, as i don't see it stable ennough for daily usage, so it has the latest kde4 + a graphical transitional package bringing the users closer to the kde plasma next look.

as soon as plasma next is stable and complete i will migrate to ...

Just read the description ;)

jfyi: no kde plasma next yet, as i don't see it stable ennough for daily usage, so it has the latest kde4 + a graphical transitional package bringing the users closer to the kde plasma next look.

as soon as plasma next is stable and complete i will migrate to ...

How about latest GNOME ? [ instead of KDE , of course ] ?

Thanks Jack. You won't regret using Nvidia, the Linux support has always been top-shelf with their hardware. :yes: And I agree, enable the PPA, but have the user choose whether to install or not.

@ MikeM97: It's KDE 4 currently, as it is based on Kubuntu 14.04.2. KDE/Plasma 5 is being rolled out in Kubuntu 15.04, and I have played around with it, and it's pretty decent but the Kubuntu people are still getting it stable. At this stage it's still rather fragile. My experience over the week that I used it was:

- It's pretty! *crash* awww ... well, at least it's pretty.

- (2 hours later) Hey, they fixed something ... hey, this works now. Let's see what this does ... *crash* ... darnit! Well, it's still pretty!

- (1 hour later) More updates? Nice! Oh, cool, they fixed that, that and that! *reboot* Okay, let's see what ... *lockup* ... hmm.

- (4 hours later) Maybe they fixed it by now ... *lockup #2* ... at least I can get to Konsole, let's see if they know they broke the Panel ... ahh good. *update*

That's how it was for the first two days. :yes: KDE/Plasma 5 is great, once it's stabilized.

Thanks Jack. You won't regret using Nvidia, the Linux support has always been top-shelf with their hardware. :yes: And I agree, enable the PPA, but have the user choose whether to install or not.

@ MikeM97: It's KDE 4 currently, as it is based on Kubuntu 14.04.2. KDE/Plasma 5 is being rolled out in Kubuntu 15.04, and I have played around with it, and it's pretty decent but the Kubuntu people are still getting it stable. At this stage it's still rather fragile. My experience over the week that I used it was:

- It's pretty! *crash* awww ... well, at least it's pretty.

- (2 hours later) Hey, they fixed something ... hey, this works now. Let's see what this does ... *crash* ... darnit! Well, it's still pretty!

- (1 hour later) More updates? Nice! Oh, cool, they fixed that, that and that! *reboot* Okay, let's see what ... *lockup* ... hmm.

- (4 hours later) Maybe they fixed it by now ... *lockup #2* ... at least I can get to Konsole, let's see if they know they broke the Panel ... ahh good. *update*

That's how it was for the first two days. :yes: KDE/Plasma 5 is great, once it's stabilized.

Thank you ... When it will be fully stablilized ?

Release is in April, so they should have all major problems fixed soon. The remaining outstanding bugs that would prevent a Release Candidate from shipping will be addressed within two to three weeks, so I would expect the first week of April is a good timeframe for stability.

Are you talking about the floating toolbar with the icon in it? I always just exit toolbar and it goes away.

[EDIT] Looks like you mean the 'Battery Charging' icon in the System Tray. That shouldn't be there unless you are on a Laptop/Portable, otherwise it is hidden with the rest of the unneeded icons. Not much to be done about that one. You could always right-click the tray area, then go to options, and see if you can hide it yourself.

Ah okay. You can move it around the Desktop, but as far as getting rid of it, I've never found out how. If you do, please pass the information along -- I'd be interested to know. :yes:

Ah okay. You can move it around the Desktop, but as far as getting rid of it, I've never found out how. If you do, please pass the information along -- I'd be interested to know. :yes:

Me too , that's why I asked you . :laugh:

P.S : If you haven't done it before , how do you know it can be moved all around the Desktop ?

if you mean this one, afaik it can't be removed by default KDE options as it would basically brake the whole system settings application. try it out: open system-settings and open one link in there. if you then wanna go back to systemsettings you can use the "back" button.

I've moved it around the desktop (it can be moved in KDE/Plasma 5), but I've never found a setting to actually hide it in the GUI options. As Jack said above, you can force-hide it but it causes issues.

No problem, Mike. Sorry the help wasn't more useful on my side of things. It's been a while (the 3.5.x series) since I seriously used KDE, so I'm still getting used to how the late-game 4.x does things.

Having used 5.2 recently, I must say the 5.x series simplifies and improves lot of stuff, so I'm looking forward to seeing how Snapshot's implementation works out. :)

Plasma 5.2 is not all sunshine and rainbows just yet.

Whatever the Kubuntu folks have done recently just made things worse. Yikes ... Crashy, crashy.

Might need to hold off on 5.x for now.

Plasma 5.2 is not all sunshine and rainbows just yet.

Whatever the Kubuntu folks have done recently just made things worse. Yikes ... Crashy, crashy.

Might need to hold off on 5.x for now.

If it continue in this way I'll use Cinnamon .

If it continue in this way I'll use Cinnamon .

Just give the KDE devs some more time. They are definitely on the right track with plasma next and from most screenshots i posted you can see it's a very ambitious project  (not only about new icons and wallpapers), the GUI will be a big overhaul from kde 4.x.

if i remember right, with kde 4.x the first really usable was 4.9 or so? could be the same with plasma next.

btw: debates about kde plasma next should better go into the kde plasma next thread. this one is just about snapshot-linux which has no influence on KDE plasma work.

• Like 1

Just give the KDE devs some more time. They are definitely on the right track with plasma next and from most screenshots i posted you can see it's a very ambitious project  (not only about new icons and wallpapers), the GUI will be a big overhaul from kde 4.x.

if i remember right, with kde 4.x the first really usable was 4.9 or so? could be the same with plasma next.

btw: debates about kde plasma next should better go into the kde plasma next thread. this one is just about snapshot-linux which has no influence on KDE plasma work.

Sure .

How about the v. 07 on Snapshot-Linux ?

Ditto the "give it time" sentiment.  The official releases tend to be pretty buggy at first but get stable after a while, KDE 4 wasn't all sunshine and rainbows either at first, was a lot of "screw this, staying with KDE 3" sentiment at the beginning.. been a while but if I recall KDE 3 had the same growing pains too.  Took a while to get to where it was good enough for daily use.. but when it does it's worth it.  

• Like 1

Agreed. It's quite good from a technological standpoint, and the cleanup work they've done to is worth mentioning on it's own -- it's just not ready yet is all.

No problem. They'll have it ready before the end of the year is my guess.

breaking_news_alert_graphic_new_as_of_3_

Snapshot-Linux x64 1149   .7    to be released next week!

What's new:
- New version number  .7 instead of 0.7
- Progressbar and color when doing apt-get in Konsole
- Fully updated and new ppa's
- Better way to initiate Homerun
- KDE Admin
- SSM (SuperSilentMode): No details for now 
- Up to 5 times faster apt-get mode

See you next week 
  • Like 1