Microsoft confirms Rise of the Tomb Raider Xbox exclusivity deal "has a duration"

What does it have to do with it? Let's see, can a buyer, can't buy, unless the seller, sells.

No deal can be in place unless CD/SE is lookin for a deal. But MS haters are once again standing there with pitchforks & torches in hand ready to pounce.

MS takes more heat than what they deserve at times (at times they deserve every bit of it). But to hate them (MS) this much is ridiculous. Especially when it was the seller (CD/SE) who was out on the town pursuing others for partnership.

I also believe it people are that angered of MS being that loaded with $$$ and can make things happen that others in this industry can't make happen.

So from your reasoning everyone should just be upset with SE?

lol @ the "MS being that loaded with $$$' comment.

So from your reasoning everyone should just be upset with SE?

lol @ the "MS being that loaded with $$$' comment.

I didn't say "just upset with CD/SE"

If the seller approached others with this same deal, shouldn't they be held more accountable for the deal that happens.

Or better yet, if CD/SE were courting people, that right there alone tells me they needed/wanted help with this. So there shouldn't any angst from anyone.

Making video games is very risky and very expensive these days. And you may 'lol' about my comment about Microsoft fund$. MS could of easily bought out Capcom, Crytek, THQ...and still not dent the pockets.

The fact that they can help out with financials, and other platforms will still eventually get to play the game.. Because of of this deal, PS4 & PC will see this game and perhaps with better value to boot. Usually when a game is delayed to another platform, that platform gets all the DLC and such on the house.

I didn't say "just upset with CD/SE"

If the seller approached others with this same deal, shouldn't they be held more accountable for the deal that happens.

Or better yet, if CD/SE were courting people, that right there alone tells me they needed/wanted help with this. So there shouldn't any angst from anyone.

Making video games is very risky and very expensive these days. And you may 'lol' about my comment about Microsoft fund$. MS could of easily bought out Capcom, Crytek, THQ...and still not dent the pockets.

The fact that they can help out with financials, and other platforms will still eventually get to play the game.. Because of of this deal, PS4 & PC will see this game and perhaps with better value to boot. Usually when a game is delayed to another platform, that platform gets all the DLC and such on the house.

Yes they approached Sony and they declined, so your reasoning is that we should be blaming Sony for not practicing shady business tactics?

SE wanted money, who doesn't? I think that's the whole purpose of a company... hmm maybe I'm wrong Microsoft was after world peace and puppies for all right?

With Microsoft having all this $$$ to buy out businesses I have this new business idea where I make a machine that scans these forums for posts with people gloating about Microsoft having lots of $$$ and then it laughs hysterically for about 30 seconds when it finds a new one. Will Microsoft buy my idea out? Probably not and the reason is because its not going to buy something which isn't going to give them a return on the investment. Microsoft will only buy things it thinks will make them more money.. which is the same as every other company on the face of the planet. So it doesn't matter how much you think Microsoft has, its not going to spend that money willy nilly, if they were going to do that they would've gave the Xbox One better specs than its direct competitor.

Shuhei Yoshida on this announcement

You didn't know that would be announced?

Shuhei Yoshida: How could we know?

Because when Tomb Raider was announced at E3 it was suggested it was for PC, PS4 and Xbox One.

Shuhei Yoshida: That's why I'm saying I was surprised.

I thought Square Enix might have told Sony they had planned this because it had already been suggested it was coming to PS4.

Shuhei Yoshida: They might have to our third-party relations team, but I didn't know.

So you were surprised. Did you see the reaction on the internet to the announcement?

Shuhei Yoshida: Oh, yeah. Anything Microsoft announces, people complain to me as well. In general there are lots of people who are angry, who emotionally reacted to the announcement. Some people created an image saying negative things, like the end of Tomb Raider. It was a very emotional response.

Do you think it will eventually come out on PS4?

Shuhei Yoshida: That question has to be asked to Square Enix and Microsoft. I hope the game will come out eventually on PS4. But how can I tell? Other than that cryptic message by Phil Spencer.

From - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-08-19-tomb-raider-vitas-no-show-and-the-mystery-of-10m-ps4-sales?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialoomph

Have to agree with him on the cryptic message. They should clearly state its either going to be fully exclusive, timed, or whatever. My guess is that it's just timed until early 2016 but I can imagine it only going on PC after.

Regarding the 3rd party relations comment and him not knowing, that's some terrible corporate communication there. 

Yes they approached Sony and they declined, so your reasoning is that we should be blaming Sony for not practicing shady business tactics?

SE wanted money, who doesn't? I think that's the whole purpose of a company... hmm maybe I'm wrong Microsoft was after world peace and puppies for all right?

With Microsoft having all this $$$ to buy out businesses I have this new business idea where I make a machine that scans these forums for posts with people gloating about Microsoft having lots of $$$ and then it laughs hysterically for about 30 seconds when it finds a new one. Will Microsoft buy my idea out? Probably not and the reason is because its not going to buy something which isn't going to give them a return on the investment. Microsoft will only buy things it thinks will make them more money.. which is the same as every other company on the face of the planet. So it doesn't matter how much you think Microsoft has, its not going to spend that money willy nilly, if they were going to do that they would've gave the Xbox One better specs than its direct competitor.

Blame Sony???  Shady business tactics?  Are you serious right not?  This is a legit deal that happened within the law.  Not some drug deal down in dumps.

This is a business, a business that we all love, but also a business that will also not always cater to us.

That's not my point.  My point is "any angst" that is being exhibited towards MS, for making a business deal, should first be directed towards the seller first.

This is all I see:  MS this, MS that,,, blah, blah, burn MS, blah blah blah...

CD/SE put offers out there to multiple companies, not just MS, not just Sony.... But others as well.

MS took them up on the offer, and now it's "Shady"....  smh...

Was the way it came out confusing?  Well kinda...

Do I blame Phil for wording it where it only benefits MS?  Not at all.

Why would I use any wording that would also sound beneficial to my competitors?

It isn't Phil's job to give hope that ROTTR will come to any other platform other than Xbox.  

That is CD/SE job.  Like Phil said,  CD/SE owns the IP not MS.    But I don't see anyone banging on their doors asking for clarification.

• Like 2

Just cause people voice their opinions against something Microsoft did which they don't approve of doesn't mean they are just hating on Microsoft.

This seems to be a very common defense for Microsoft on literally every thread that has something negative about the Xbox division (always by the same posters).. Blah blah blah, no Microsoft didn't do anything wrong people are just hating on Microsoft cause its the cool thing to do these days.. blah blah blah.

If Sony or Nintendo did the same thing I'm sure the same group of people would be the ones who bring up the largest stink against it.

exactly!   you don't like one thing, and suddenly, in their minds, you are a MS hater. 

Makes it hard to have a reasonable discussion, as there are quite a few fanatics that always defend MS no matter what.

Seems they just cannot accept any MS criticism.

• Like 2

exactly!   you don't like one thing, and suddenly, in their minds, you are a MS hater. 

Makes it hard to have a reasonable discussion, as there are quite a few fanatics that always defend MS no matter what.

Seems they just cannot accept any MS criticism.

Once again...  Nobody once said that MS corp are saints.  Once again nobody said that the Xbox Division are saints.

But It's the buyer who's getting the attention.  Not the seller.

So what this is what everyone is saying:

MS you should have NEVER even bothered to listen to or buy what CD/SE is selling.  Everyone else turned it down and you should of as well.  Who cares if CD/SE needed/wanted $$$ for ROTTR, that's their problem and it would of been better for everyone if you kept your mouth shut and you're money to yourselves.  Even if this means them making an mediocre game, good game, or amazing game.  We will tell you what to do with your $$$ and when to do it.

For all the moaning about this, even though we know (and some knew from the start) it's only a timed exclusive, I don't see the hate thread about Bayonetta 2 going Wii U exclusive and that was a multiplatform game, one I really liked but now can't play because I don't have and don't plan to buy a Wii U.

Where's the people raging at Nintendo about this one, or is it so small a minority that even the internet hasn't blown it out of proportion?  Or is it just because it's Nintendo and not MS in this case and they get a pass for some reason?

If Sony or Nintendo did the same thing I'm sure the same group of people would be the ones who bring up the largest stink against it.

That's why I wondered where those people were for the other recent exclusive announcements.

This announcement clearly got the loudest response from both the online community and gaming media. I guess this game just touched more people than any of the previous.

Its interesting that he does not outright deny that SE offered any kind of deal to Sony. You would think he would have inquired about that fact right after MS' announcement. Makes me wonder if they did in fact get an offer and simply turned it down.

Plus, I think the last response about asking MS if the game is coming to the ps4 must have been sarcastic. MS said the deal was a timed one, so that means everyone should ask SE about that. What is cryptic about that?

Otherwise, his response was pretty standard stuff.

Have to agree with him on the cryptic message. They should clearly state its either going to be fully exclusive, timed, or whatever. My guess is that it's just timed until early 2016 but I can imagine it only going on PC after.

Regarding the 3rd party relations comment and him not knowing, that's some terrible corporate communication there.

Since when has any company had to fully disclose the details? Even when games are timed exclusives, I don't remember MS or Sony saying what the time frame was or even spelling out that its a 'timed exclusive'

That's why both companies adopted terms like 'launching first exclusively' or 'd?buting exclusively' or just 'coming first'. No one has come back and said these are 'timed exclusives' or what the duration is.

Since when has any company had to fully disclose the details? Even when games are timed exclusives, I don't remember MS or Sony saying what the time frame was or even spelling out that its a 'timed exclusive'

That's why both companies adopted terms like 'launching first exclusively' or 'd?buting exclusively' or just 'coming first'. No one has come back and said these are 'timed exclusives' or what the duration is.

It's not that they've not disclosed it, it's just confusing. For example, "Arrives Holiday 2015 exclusive to Xbox" implies to me at first glance that its 100% exclusive.

If the deal weren't 100% ready, they shouldn't of announced it yet.

It's not that they've not disclosed it, it's just confusing. For example, "Arrives Holiday 2015 exclusive to Xbox" implies to me at first glance that its 100% exclusive.

If the deal weren't 100% ready, they shouldn't of announced it yet.

But then Phil made it clear when questions were asked. It has a time duration. If anyone is still confused, well there isn't much to do.

Again, there seems to be a lot more focus on this game then others in the recent past.

But then Phil made it clear when questions were asked. It has a time duration. If anyone is still confused, well there isn't much to do.

Again, there seems to be a lot more focus on this game then others in the recent past.

Questions shouldn't need to be asked, that's why there's a negative view around this. Even with the clarifications there's a couple unknowns around the time and the platforms it will launch on after.

Questions shouldn't need to be asked, that's why there's a negative view around this. Even with the clarifications there's a couple unknowns around the time and the platforms it will launch on after.

Microsoft made it clear from their perspective that it was a timed exclusive. Surely it should be up to Square Enix to talk about other platforms, why would Microsoft advertise or announce when the game is coming other platforms. 

Microsoft made it clear from their perspective that it was a timed exclusive. Surely it should be up to Square Enix to talk about other platforms, why would Microsoft advertise or announce when the game is coming other platforms. 

I agree around other platforms, that made me laugh when I read the other threads online about it demanding why they don't talk about a PS4 version.

I just think the attitude towards it was a bit shady, I don't in anyway thing MS are the bad guys and they're practicing bad business practices at all.

I agree around other platforms, that made me laugh when I read the other threads online about it demanding why they don't talk about a PS4 version.

I just think the attitude towards it was a bit shady, I don't in anyway thing MS are the bad guys and they're practicing bad business practices at all.

Agree, but it's not the first time and it probably won't be the last. EA Access had and still does have a lot of grey areas...

But Microsoft owes no explanation on ROTTR on anything outside of Xbox.

That is CD/SE job to do so.  It's there IP.\

How it's worded only matter to Xbox owners or would be Xbox owners,  not other platforms outside of Xbox.

If I paid for an exclusive time frame on a game.  I'm not going to give the "duration" of it or anything close to it.  I will only word it to where it's beneficial to my platform alone.  

For all the moaning about this, even though we know (and some knew from the start) it's only a timed exclusive, I don't see the hate thread about Bayonetta 2 going Wii U exclusive and that was a multiplatform game, one I really liked but now can't play because I don't have and don't plan to buy a Wii U.

Where's the people raging at Nintendo about this one, or is it so small a minority that even the internet hasn't blown it out of proportion?  Or is it just because it's Nintendo and not MS in this case and they get a pass for some reason?

Seriously????  Who the hell knows about Bayonetta?   Barely anyone! It is a single game! that was not even great /or groundbreaking for its age by any means

Are you seriously comparing the amount of fans Tomb Raider franchise has?  

The fan base that was build up over NEARLY 20 YEARS with lots of games and even 2 HIGH BUDGET Hollywood movies!

Come on, Nintendo has nothing to do with it. It is naive defensive thinking...

Again with your "making MS the victum" and thinking everyone else gets a pass, when IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IT. 

Its about alienating one of the largest fanbase possible for one of the most iconic game characters available!  

It is was about something else, you would not hear so much about it.

• Like 2

Now can I call his comments PR spin as well? There is no way in hell that Sony corp didn't knew about this if SE indeed approached them. If TR is as big as people claim, then Sony execs must have known about it.

• Like 1

Now can I call his comments PR spin as well? There is no way in hell that Sony corp didn't knew about this if SE indeed approached them. If TR is as big as people claim, then Sony execs must have known about it.

Of course.     Sony is well know for adjusting their PR on MS screw ups.   No way in the world he had not know about it, because only some other department was involved.

They are spinning this to their liking too!

It's frustrating that we are even having this conversation. It's unfortunate that big business is what gets in the way of you being able to play X game on Y system, that's just how I see it.

Any idiot who wants to pretend a gamer should be happy about timed exclusives isn't a gamer, but probably either a greedy investor or fanboy. That's all there is to it. Don't see why we need 17 pages worrying about a company's feelings or trying to ensure that the companies that do get shamed are done so equally to the proper degree of articles "bashing them" for actions they deliberately chose.

I mean, it's not like someone slipped and accidentally gave away millions of dollars to secure a deal... :ermm:

I mean, it's not like someone slipped and accidentally gave away millions of dollars to secure a deal... :ermm:

Or someone else just decided to sell out?  :ermm:

This is not just a publisher or a corporation's fault. Agreeing to the deal is just as bad as offering it. I see no reason to bash anyone in particular, this just is what it is. If you dislike it, speak with your wallets and don't buy it. But regardless of how annoying timed exclusives might be, they are limited. 80% of the remaining frustration any gamer has over timed exclusives is really just jealousy and impatience.

it would be one thing if it was 100% exclusive. But a timed exclusive will end. I don't want to be the one to say, "be happy you're getting it at all", but really this isn't new to the gaming world. Speak to anyone who has waited on Monster Hunter games to release outside Japan, or anything that's not a AAA title out of Japan. It can take months to years for them to reach foreign shores.

Sometimes you just have to be patient for something.

PS. If it was a timed exclusive for the PS4, I'm sure everyone would be singing a different tune.

Seriously????  Who the hell knows about Bayonetta?   Barely anyone! It is a single game! that was not even great /or groundbreaking for its age by any means

Are you seriously comparing the amount of fans Tomb Raider franchise has?  

The fan base that was build up over NEARLY 20 YEARS with lots of games and even 2 HIGH BUDGET Hollywood movies!

Come on, Nintendo has nothing to do with it. It is naive defensive thinking...

Again with your "making MS the victum" and thinking everyone else gets a pass, when IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IT. 

Its about alienating one of the largest fanbase possible for one of the most iconic game characters available!  

It is was about something else, you would not hear so much about it.

Oh please, first off, calm down, and second of all I know about Bayonetta and I would love to play the sequel thank you very much.   And for all of that it's had solid, even great, review scores and the gameplay/combat is deeper than most games if you bother to take the time to learn it.

It doesn't even matter how old the franchise is, I mean hell, they took the time to reboot it with the newest game, that says to me that the fanbase was shrinking and they needed to draw in newer fans.  

And I don't see how you don't want me to draw any connections between the two, the argument was how companies shouldn't take something that was multiplatform to start and make it's sequel exclusive to one system (forgetting the fact that this is just timed like I figured from the start).    It's not about making MS the victim it's about showing you and others that this has been done before and by someone else, yet I don't see pitchforks, even when it's happened with other series in the past.   Let alone that there's no alienating going on, all you have to do is wait a bit longer, boo hoo, yet I get a replay full of your knee jerk rage just like the rest who somehow were unable to understand what "in 2015" meant when MS said it a few times. 

It's frustrating that we are even having this conversation. It's unfortunate that big business is what gets in the way of you being able to play X game on Y system, that's just how I see it.

Any idiot who wants to pretend a gamer should be happy about timed exclusives isn't a gamer, but probably either a greedy investor or fanboy. That's all there is to it. Don't see why we need 17 pages worrying about a company's feelings or trying to ensure that the companies that do get shamed are done so equally to the proper degree of articles "bashing them" for actions they deliberately chose.

But they're not getting in the way, they're delaying it not stopping it, what is unfortunate is that a large number of people couldn't read between the lines and jumped to conclusions while rushing to get their pitchforks out.  Timed exclusives or even games just releasing on one system before the others is nothing new at all, it didn't start this generation, it didn't start last generation either I'd say.    And it's not like games that were planned to be multiplatform didn't suddenly become exclusive in the development process for some reason or another.