Microsoft confirms Rise of the Tomb Raider Xbox exclusivity deal "has a duration"

Where's the outrage over Ninja T's Hellblade timed exclusivity? This is the type of game that might make me bite on next-gen as it could take forever to make it's way to the PC. Definitely prefer Sony's exclusives. If there an Enhanced PS4 Wipeout release, I'll probably bite the bullet and get a PS4.

This is a new ip developed AND published by a really small team.

Here are some tidbits from EuroGamer's interview with Phil Spencer.

Were you expecting the force of the negative reaction to the announcement? Or did it come as a surprise?

Now, obviously if I'm going to partner on it, I'm a platform holder, I'm hardly going to invest to go make the PlayStation version of any game. It is a business. So when we go invest with a partner on a big franchise, we're going to come with certain needs we have out of the relationship.

I don't own the IP. So then when certain people start talking to me about, well, what is the future of the Tomb Raider franchise, it's not really something I can talk to. Just like if you were going to ask me what's going on with Dead Rising 6, I don't own that. So, when people want me to say, well can you tell us when or if it's coming to other platforms, it's not my job. My job is not to talk about games I don't own. I have a certain relationship on this version of Tomb Raider, which we announced. And I feel really good about our long term relationship with Crystal and Square.

The last release was great, and I want this one to be as big if not bigger than anything they've ever done with the game. Again, I don't own it. So in the long run, where that franchise goes and everything else, that'll be theirs to drive. But this was an interesting opportunity for us. So when they came to us with the opportunity to do something, absolutely it was something we looked at hard and it worked out, and I'm glad it did.

So it was something Square Enix approached you about to see whether you would be up for it, essentially?

They've seen what we've done with certain games out there that aren't ours. Ryse is another IP. I don't own the Ryse IP, but I was able to invest with Crytek to turn it into a franchise, which isn't easy to do for a studio on their own. I don't own it. They just announced it for PC, and certain people throw stones at me and say, 'you shouldn't let it go out on PC.' I'm like, look, I want Crytek to make money. I want Crytek to be successful. Why would I ever block them from doing something with a game they own?

Can you understand why there are questions around the nature of your exclusivity deal?

Phil Spencer:

I want you to ask me, because I want to get this story out there. This whole thing that, like we just somehow found something that Sony fans love and said hey, if we just drop millions of dollars then they can't go play the game, that's not how it played out.

I'll just put it this way: other people could have done this deal. There was nothing about us that said, we were the only people would could do this deal. If another publisher, another platform wanted to go do this deal, it's a business deal. There's nothing we did somebody else could not have done.

Certain people say, well, nobody else would do a deal like that. Deals like this do happen. It was a great opportunity for us, and of course I'm going to take advantage of that.

It's even more surprising that people are blaming MS like they own Tomb Raider. Why aren't they more mad at SE for taking money and dissappointing PS4/PC fans, oh right, because MS announced it at their conference, so it's all MS' fault. Sorry, I'm not going to blame MS for something that benefits them, I would be mad at the person in charge of the game, the Phil Spencer hate is ridiculous because IT'S NOT HIS GAME TO MAKE EXCLUSIVE. But go ahead and blame away 8 yr olds.

It's even more surprising that people are blaming MS like they own Tomb Raider. Why aren't they more mad at SE for taking money and dissappointing PS4/PC fans, oh right, because MS announced it at their conference, so it's all MS' fault. Sorry, I'm not going to blame MS for something that benefits them, I would be mad at the person in charge of the game, the Phil Spencer hate is ridiculous because IT'S NOT HIS GAME TO MAKE EXCLUSIVE. But go ahead and blame away 8 yr olds.

Actually, people are blaming MS for paying money to delay Tomb Raider on other platforms and we are equally angry at Squeenix for accepting, but since nobody is defending them, there is less discussion on that. Maybe actually reading the complaints is too much for your attention span or, maybe, you just prefer being ignorant.

• Like 2

Actually, people are blaming MS for paying money to delay Tomb Raider on other platforms and we are equally angry at Squeenix for accepting, but since nobody is defending them, there is less discussion on that. Maybe actually reading the complaints is too much for your attention span or, maybe, you just prefer being ignorant.

My attention span is actually pretty well. Thanks for letting me know that I haven't been reading. I was talking generally on the all of the interwebs (as I go to different places), and no I'm not ignorant. Yea, calling out 8 yr olds is petty but one should be able to jest. And no, people aren't "equally" angry at SE for accepting, if they were there would be more interviews with SE, more articles on SE, more people bashing SE than personally bashing Phil. You're ignorant IF you think otherwise. MS is getting bashed WAY more than SE.

Just sounds like you were softening the blow for him, when really that was all his call, not "partially" :p

Seriously? :laugh: Feel free to edit my post and replace partially with completely. I only put partially in there because he didn't run Xbox until recently. Do we know if Don Mattrick didn't like closing them but closed them anyway because Phil S. wanted to shut them down?

Reposting the top comment because it's too good:

His answers couldn't be more clear but you guys are so damned #4thegamers, you will complain no matter what. Are his Ryse comments a spin too?

My attention span is actually pretty well. Thanks for letting me know that I haven't been reading. I was talking generally on the all of the interwebs (as I go to different places), and no I'm not ignorant. Yea, calling out 8 yr olds is petty but one should be able to jest. And no, people aren't "equally" angry at SE for accepting, if they were there would be more interviews with SE, more articles on SE, more people bashing SE than personally bashing Phil. You're ignorant IF you think otherwise. MS is getting bashed WAY more than SE.

^^^^ THIS ^^^^

MS has rattled the gaming industry cages.

Looks like this $$$-1billion-$$$ for games is starting to ruffle some feathers.

I honestly hope MS continues to do this to. Especially if a better product is the result of the $$$ spent.

I hope any of the 3 console makers do this if possible.

If I'm gonna spend $60 for a game, I want the game to feel big, and play big.

Make it rain MS...!!!

Even when MS gives information, others just attack it as being spin :laugh: The usual responses are almost predictable at this point.

People demanded details, but when details come out, they just laugh them off. That is how the internet works.

I think one of the interesting bits is that SE approached MS with a deal. I wonder if they approached anyone else. I also wonder if SE did not see it financially viable to make a sequel on its own. I know everyone has said that SE did in fact make enough to do it on their own, but no one knows what was going on at SE and what they were actually thinking. So unless SE wants to elaborate, there is no use in guessing.

Regardless of the facts, MS will always lose the discussion with the online community.

I don't think Spencer is spinning anything -- I think he gave honest answers for why Microsoft did the deal. I just disagree with his rationale and the argument that it was a good deal for either Microsoft or the gaming community as a whole.

I don't think Spencer is spinning anything -- I think he gave honest answers for why Microsoft did the deal. I just disagree with his rationale and the argument that it was a good deal for either Microsoft or the gaming community as a whole.

The only way that changes is if we somehow get more info about the deal. Was SE ready to pull the plug on a proper sequel to the Tomb Raider game if they could not convince anyone else to partner with them? Would they have delayed a new game say for an extra year or two if no deal was found?

That's the only scenario that most people seem willing to accept. Now is that the case here? Who knows, many will decided that based on their feelings towards the companies.

Its at the point where I'm kind of tired of the debate. Mostly because a lot of people online are suddenly up in arms over an issue that has been happening over and over for years. Where were they then? Pretty quiet compared to now. There are a small handful that have been consistent, but most, not so much.

I think one of the interesting bits is that SE approached MS with a deal. I wonder if they approached anyone else.

They approached Sony, but their response was "It wasn't good enough value for our customers"  :rofl:

Even though everyone keeps talking about how well Tomb Raider sold, to SE it wasn't good enough and they made that pretty clear. I wouldn't be surprised if they were shopping this idea around just to save themselves some cash, and if that's the case well good on MS for snatching it up, I have no doubt that Sony would have done the same. Not a pretty way of doing things that's for sure, but it's happened and this anger won't change a damn thing.

People can trash and hate MS all they want. But one thing I do notice is, they will take the heat off of the developers of games.

Microsoft took the heat for Sunset:OD when it was announced that it's xbox only

Microsoft took the heat for people dogging EA Access (and EA is no small company )

Microsoft took heat for snatching up TitanFall

Microsoft takin the heat for the extra goodies that comin the the One version of Wither 3

Microsoft taken heat for ROTTR being exclusive to the One for a small window of time.

People can trash and hate MS all they want. But one thing I do notice is, they will take the heat off of the developers of games.

Microsoft took the heat for Sunset:OD when it was announced that it's xbox only

Microsoft took the heat for people dogging EA Access (and EA is no small company )

Microsoft took heat for snatching up TitanFall

Microsoft takin the heat for the extra goodies that comin the the One version of Wither 3

Microsoft taken heat for ROTTR being exclusive to the One for a small window of time.

What does this have to do with the price of fish in china? err... I mean thread.

Just cause people voice their opinions against something Microsoft did which they don't approve of doesn't mean they are just hating on Microsoft.

This seems to be a very common defense for Microsoft on literally every thread that has something negative about the Xbox division (always by the same posters).. Blah blah blah, no Microsoft didn't do anything wrong people are just hating on Microsoft cause its the cool thing to do these days.. blah blah blah.

If Sony or Nintendo did the same thing I'm sure the same group of people would be the ones who bring up the largest stink against it.

• Like 2

So you tailored your answer in this topic to complaints made in other places, not the actual content in here. Bash that straw man! Phil was bought to attention one or two pages back mostly because he's the head of Xbox, the one you went ahead with the deal and has to do PR duty now. Personally, I couldn't give a crap about the guy. If you actually read this topic and the Gamescom one you would see that Squeenix was "bashed" a lot more than dear ol' Phil.

The people in THIS TOPIC are equally angry at both corporations as far as the Tomb Raider deal is concerned. Some additional animosity may have come through from the PC crowd due to MS lack of commitment to this segment of their own costumers.

His answers couldn't be more clear but you guys are so damned #4thegamers, you will complain no matter what. Are his Ryse comments a spin too?

I never said they weren't (as far as the lawyers allow), just found the comment/picture combo funny so lighten up. It is curious how easy one can tell that he's very frustrated by the whole thing.

• Like 1

What does this have to do with the price of fish in china? err... I mean thread.

Just cause people voice their opinions against something Microsoft did which they don't approve of doesn't mean they are just hating on Microsoft.

This seems to be a very common defense for Microsoft on literally every thread that has something negative about the Xbox division (always by the same posters).. Blah blah blah, no Microsoft didn't do anything wrong people are just hating on Microsoft cause its the cool thing to do these days.. blah blah blah.

If Sony did the same thing I'm sure the same group of people would be the ones who bring up the largest stink against it.

It takes two to organise a business deal, MS didn't hold SE hostage and demand exclusivity. Jesus Christ this thread.

Even SE said they were open to other people, fools Sony for not arranging with it and letting MS taking the opportunity. It's obvious they wanted aid in development since they're using MS man-power. 

It takes two to organise a business deal, MS didn't hold SE hostage and demand exclusivity. Jesus Christ this thread.

Even SE said they were open to other people, fools Sony for not arranging with it and letting MS taking the opportunity. It's obvious they wanted aid in development since they're using MS man-power. 

Here is one more,

If SE didn't need any money to do sequel, they would damn make sure the game is out on PS4 which has a higher install base right now. The fact that they took the money and agreed for exclusivity, pretty much means they were desperate. How is that for an argument?

Blaming MS for everything is just stupid. What's next, blame Sony's software incompetence on MS too? ("THEY HIRED ALL GOOD DEVELOPERS, NOT FAIRRR11!!!")

Here is one more,

If SE didn't need any money to do sequel, they would damn make sure the game is out on PS4 which has a higher install base right now. The fact that they took the money and agreed for exclusivity, pretty much means they were desperate. How is that for an argument?

Blaming MS for everything is just stupid. What's next, blame Sony's software incompetence on MS too? ("THEY HIRED ALL GOOD DEVELOPERS, NOT FAIRRR11!!!")

Firstly the guy you quoted was actually being supportive of MS but you took it as an attack on MS for some reason.

Secondly the fact that SE agreed to a timed exclusive just means that they thought they'd make more money from MS rather than releasing the game at the same time for all platforms.

He wasn't blaming MS for anything, not sure why you brought up something completely unrelated.. oh wait my bad you wanted to bash Sony about something in a Microsoft thread.. I'm not sure how you would know if they hired good developers.. hmm maybe you got their resume and cover letters? people sometimes lie in those.. And yes its not fair that the guy you quoted was supporting MS.. but like in an attack sort of way so he was clearly blaming MS for everything..

Firstly the guy you quoted was actually being supportive of MS but you took it as an attack on MS for some reason.

Secondly the fact that SE agreed to a timed exclusive just means that they thought they'd make more money from MS rather than releasing the game at the same time for all platforms.

He wasn't blaming MS for anything, not sure why you brought up something completely unrelated.. oh wait my bad you wanted to bash Sony about something in a Microsoft thread.. I'm not sure how you would know if they hired good developers.. hmm maybe you got their resume and cover letters? people sometimes lie in those.. And yes its not fair that the guy you quoted was supporting MS.. but like in an attack sort of way so he was clearly blaming MS for everything..

My post isn't attack on anyone including JonnyLH, I am just adding to his point with a bit of snark/sarcasm added for taste.

I am not the only person to bring up Sony in this thread.

If Sony or Nintendo did the same thing I'm sure the same group of people would be the ones who bring up the largest stink against it.

What does it have to do with it? Let's see, can a buyer, can't buy, unless the seller, sells.

No deal can be in place unless CD/SE is lookin for a deal. But MS haters are once again standing there with pitchforks & torches in hand ready to pounce.

MS takes more heat than what they deserve at times (at times they deserve every bit of it). But to hate them (MS) this much is ridiculous. Especially when it was the seller (CD/SE) who was out on the town pursuing others for partnership.

I also believe it people are that angered of MS being that loaded with $$$ and can make things happen that others in this industry can't make happen.

• Like 2